4 mo old has cough... Can't get pertussis off my mind! - Mothering Forums
I'm Not Vaccinating > 4 mo old has cough... Can't get pertussis off my mind!
jen6163's Avatar jen6163 12:50 PM 05-23-2013
My 4 month old daughter has just developed a phlegmy cough but has no fever or any cold symptoms. She coughs a little trhough out the day but nothing crazy. Now at night her cough sounds as though she needs to hack up a loogie. She isn't running a fever. Also, her breathing seems to be just fine. She is eating well and is still very playful and happy. She really doesn't start to cough until she has been asleep for about 6-8 hours. Any help would be appreciated. I can't lie I've been thinking what if its pertussis! . She is not vax. Her 2 older sisters have had colds here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. My midwife said it does not sound like pertussis and her suggestion is 1/4 tsp of children's mucinex and 1/4 tsp of Benadryl and see if it improves. I'm going to call the pedi today and see what she thinks. Here is a video clip from last night.... Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbGiYnqz6Lg

Marnica's Avatar Marnica 01:43 PM 05-23-2013

It doesn't sound like pertussis. It sounds like she has a regular old cough. If she has no cold sxs perhaps she is allergic to something in the house?  

More concerning is the advice to give a 4 month old Benadryl and Mucinex!! No way I would do that!! Hylands makes a homeopathic cough syrup for babies. 

Rub vicks on her feet and cover with socks before you put her to sleep - that always worked wonders for us. Honestly that cough doesn't sound that bad at all. I know its tough to hear our babies coughing but coughing is a protective thing and doesn't always need to be treated. Is it waking her up and preventing her from sleeping? 

jen6163's Avatar jen6163 02:18 PM 05-23-2013
Thank you for your response! It's always great to hear what others think. I agree about the medicine and I questioned that for sure... So I actually bought the baby hylands cough and it seems to be helping maybe a bit. I'm gonna give it a few days and see how it goes. Hoping I see some improvement soon!! I will try the Vicks tonight!
Marnica's Avatar Marnica 07:49 AM 05-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen6163 View Post

Thank you for your response! It's always great to hear what others think. I agree about the medicine and I questioned that for sure... So I actually bought the baby hylands cough and it seems to be helping maybe a bit. I'm gonna give it a few days and see how it goes. Hoping I see some improvement soon!! I will try the Vicks tonight!

Hang in there! I know its tough when they are small. My DD has what the docs think was RSV a few months ago. While she was older than yours at 10 months, the cough was gross and I'm a worrier by nature - not a good combo! 

sassyfirechick's Avatar sassyfirechick 01:14 PM 05-24-2013

Wow, when my DD had a reaction to oats at 10mos and was covered in hives and swollen, the 24hr dr number wouldn't even give me a dose for benadryll bc she was too young!  That I handled with rescue remedy, but that's a bit different than a cough.I can't think of the brand but I have a natural version of vicks that uses coconut oil as the base and it works great on the feet with sock - even used it myself this winter!  A nice steamy bath with eucalyptus/pepermint oils helps too.

Marnica's Avatar Marnica 11:44 AM 05-28-2013
Quote:

How she doing now Jen6163??

jen6163's Avatar jen6163 10:15 AM 06-01-2013
Much better! But it has taken her almost 2 weeks to get over it! But she's much better thank you! Guess it was just a little cold that had to take its course.
Marnica's Avatar Marnica 07:55 AM 06-03-2013
Quote:

Much better! But it has taken her almost 2 weeks to get over it! But she's much better thank you! Guess it was just a little cold that had to take its course.

that's the usual scenario! 

With the RSV  (or whatever it was) - it took my DD almost a month to get better!

mama2011's Avatar mama2011 06:36 PM 06-03-2013
I use an all natural rub in place of Vic's. it's called- Maty's all natural baby rub.
Tags: Vaccinations
Up