4 mo old has cough... Can't get pertussis off my mind! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 month old daughter has just developed a phlegmy cough but has no fever or any cold symptoms. She coughs a little trhough out the day but nothing crazy. Now at night her cough sounds as though she needs to hack up a loogie. She isn't running a fever. Also, her breathing seems to be just fine. She is eating well and is still very playful and happy. She really doesn't start to cough until she has been asleep for about 6-8 hours. Any help would be appreciated. I can't lie I've been thinking what if its pertussis! . She is not vax. Her 2 older sisters have had colds here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. My midwife said it does not sound like pertussis and her suggestion is 1/4 tsp of children's mucinex and 1/4 tsp of Benadryl and see if it improves. I'm going to call the pedi today and see what she thinks. Here is a video clip from last night.... Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbGiYnqz6Lg
#2 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It doesn't sound like pertussis. It sounds like she has a regular old cough. If she has no cold sxs perhaps she is allergic to something in the house?  

More concerning is the advice to give a 4 month old Benadryl and Mucinex!! No way I would do that!! Hylands makes a homeopathic cough syrup for babies. 

Rub vicks on her feet and cover with socks before you put her to sleep - that always worked wonders for us. Honestly that cough doesn't sound that bad at all. I know its tough to hear our babies coughing but coughing is a protective thing and doesn't always need to be treated. Is it waking her up and preventing her from sleeping? 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response! It's always great to hear what others think. I agree about the medicine and I questioned that for sure... So I actually bought the baby hylands cough and it seems to be helping maybe a bit. I'm gonna give it a few days and see how it goes. Hoping I see some improvement soon!! I will try the Vicks tonight!
#4 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen6163 View Post

Thank you for your response! It's always great to hear what others think. I agree about the medicine and I questioned that for sure... So I actually bought the baby hylands cough and it seems to be helping maybe a bit. I'm gonna give it a few days and see how it goes. Hoping I see some improvement soon!! I will try the Vicks tonight!

Hang in there! I know its tough when they are small. My DD has what the docs think was RSV a few months ago. While she was older than yours at 10 months, the cough was gross and I'm a worrier by nature - not a good combo! 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Wow, when my DD had a reaction to oats at 10mos and was covered in hives and swollen, the 24hr dr number wouldn't even give me a dose for benadryll bc she was too young!  That I handled with rescue remedy, but that's a bit different than a cough.I can't think of the brand but I have a natural version of vicks that uses coconut oil as the base and it works great on the feet with sock - even used it myself this winter!  A nice steamy bath with eucalyptus/pepermint oils helps too.

#6 of 9 Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:

How she doing now Jen6163??

#7 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Much better! But it has taken her almost 2 weeks to get over it! But she's much better thank you! Guess it was just a little cold that had to take its course.
#8 of 9 Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Much better! But it has taken her almost 2 weeks to get over it! But she's much better thank you! Guess it was just a little cold that had to take its course.

that's the usual scenario! 

With the RSV  (or whatever it was) - it took my DD almost a month to get better!

#9 of 9 Old 06-03-2013, 05:36 PM

I use an all natural rub in place of Vic's. it's called- Maty's all natural baby rub.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page