Moving from NY to CA, help me navigate the vaccine issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-28-2013, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas

We are moving from NY to CA.  I have been claiming the Religious Exemption for my two school aged children here in NY and thankfully, it's been ok.  Now we are moving to CA and I am unsure how to go about the exemption issue there.  Should I keep our exemption religious based, or seek out the philosophical one?  (I read this is getting harder to obtain).

Will day cares accept unvaccinated children?  Thanks for the help!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#2 of 5 Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You're moving from one of the hardest states for exemptions, to one of the easiest. Right now in California, you just sign the second page of this form, http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/CtrldForms/pm286b.pdf and check boxes A and C on the front. Starting January 2014, you'll need to get a doctor or nurse's signature on a form saying that they have discussed vaccines with you. The form is not available yet. The governor said that he wants parents with religious exemptions to be exempt from the health professional signature requirement. It's not known yet if the health department will comply with his request. Right now in California, there is not a separate religious and philosophical exemption. The new form may or may not list them separately. If it does list them separately, you should stick with the religious exemption if you think you might ever return to New York.

Daycares should accept the exemption. But to be safe, you should not mention the exemption until your child has been accepted into the daycare. Just turn in the exemption form instead of vaccine records. If you want it to look official, print it double sided on light blue paper.

grisandole and applejuice like this.
#3 of 5 Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 AM

Yeah I'm from Cali and its not a big deal. You just sign something. I guess the previous poster even has the form link for you.
applejuice likes this.
#4 of 5 Old 06-02-2013, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was just reading about Sonoma county. Even though the following article is about lack of vaccination you may find some information regarding exemption. Off topic but what I found particularly interesting was that some family physicians were more likely to stop offering vaccines due to their own cost.

http://www.scma.org/magazine/articles/?articleid=311
applejuice likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link ma2two smile.gif

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page