Did I miss something? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I was reading through one of the parenting magazines that I never subscribed to that magically come to my doorstep now, when I came across an article on SIDS. At the end of it there was a checklist of things to do. One of them was "Make sure to get your baby vaccinated. This can reduce chance of SIDS by 50-60%"

First of all: bloody everything on their list "reduced from 40-60%.," including using binkies after 1 month old. Now, I'm not mathmetician but I'm pretty sure it makes no sense to have a list of 5 things, all being 50%.

Second: Not that any mainstream parenting magazine would say this, but I was under the impression that many vaccine reactions are mislabeled as SIDS. So how could vaccines prevent SIDS if many cases of SIDS are actually vaccine injuries? Again, I see no logic here. 

Third: I really don't see the correlation. A simple wikipedia search (because it's oh-so-reliable) states

Vaccination does not increase the risk of SIDS, and may reduce the risk slightly.[56][57]

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

From 2 to 4 months old, babies begin their primary course of routine vaccinations. This is also the peak age for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). The timing of these two events has led some people to believe they might be related. However, studies have concluded that vaccines are not a risk factor for SIDS.[57]

But I really just don't get it. Maybe it's baby brain but why would getting vaccines reduce your chances of SIDS? Are babies getting Diphtheria, or another disease, in the middle of the night that kills them before morning?

#2 of 3 Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 PM

I am sure they just threw it in for effect. You should post the article somewhere to show how unreputable the magazine is.

#3 of 3 Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 PM

That's interesting..

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page