Enrolling in public school, need advice on exemptions for vaxing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I can't seem to find any info on my state/county/district other than every kid must be vaccinated per the "schedule" in order to enroll. DS is only partially up to date, and I'm holding off on what he's missing b/c he seems to have reactions to the immunizations. And for some of them, I just think they're unnecessary anyway....

So here's the thing: He's enrolling in K in our local district school. They sent a letter saying he HAS to be fully vaxed per state law or he can't attend. He has been attending a preschool in another district (same county) for the past two years and just has the religious exemption box checked. Is that all I need to do for elementary school, or is it different? Can they really deny a child an education based on vax status?

#2 of 13 Old 06-15-2013, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You don't mention what State you live in, but the laws are no different for elementary school, if your state allows for religious exemption for preschool then the same goes for all school levels. Saying no shots no school is part of the deception to get parents to vaccinate.

State Law & Vaccine Requirements

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 13 Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

I can't seem to find any info on my state/county/district other than every kid must be vaccinated per the "schedule" in order to enroll. DS is only partially up to date, and I'm holding off on what he's missing b/c he seems to have reactions to the immunizations. And for some of them, I just think they're unnecessary anyway....

So here's the thing: He's enrolling in K in our local district school. They sent a letter saying he HAS to be fully vaxed per state law or he can't attend. He has been attending a preschool in another district (same county) for the past two years and just has the religious exemption box checked. Is that all I need to do for elementary school, or is it different? Can they really deny a child an education based on vax status?

if you sent him to preschool in another disctrict, then his new school HAS to accept the waiver too...laws don't change from district to district, and schools are notorious for lying to parents about vaccines needed to attend...most nurses don't even mention the exemption to parents at all, and outright lie to them. 

JenVose likes this.
#4 of 13 Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, that's why I was concerned. There was no mention anywhere of any choice to opt out/waive/get an exemption. For the preschool paperwork, they just handed me a bunch of forms and one of them was for immunizations and had a checkbox at the bottom for the exemption. I wasn't sure if it was a sneaky attempt to intimidate everyone into complying, or if there really isn't an exemption option for elementary and beyond.

I had already looked on my state's site (thanks for the link, Mirzam) and didn't see anything. Then I did a search and found what I (think I) need.

Thanks for the help!

#5 of 13 Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Yep, that's why I was concerned. There was no mention anywhere of any choice to opt out/waive/get an exemption. 

Unless there is a state law requiring schools to inform parents that exemptions are available, most schools don't do it. "No shots, no school" is a common slogan used. Which is actually lying.

http://www.nvic.org/NVIC-Vaccine-News/July-2011/No-Shots,-No-School,-Not-Really-.aspx

JenVose likes this.
#6 of 13 Old 06-16-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

And of course, why would there be a state law saying the schools have to inform parents there is an exemption option when there is a state law saying the shots are required.... The bureaucracy is ridiculous.

#7 of 13 Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 AM

The ONLY place i have EVER been where i was informed about an exemption was in Boulder Co...we were new to the area, i hadn't gotten my childs dr records, and the receptionist just told me to 'sign this'... little did i know i signed a philosophical exemption.  That way the school was in legal standing, and i could get the records whenver i felt like it, cuz at that point, it didn't matter if the school had them or not with the exemption on file

#8 of 13 Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

The ONLY place i have EVER been where i was informed about an exemption was in Boulder Co...we were new to the area, i hadn't gotten my childs dr records, and the receptionist just told me to 'sign this'... little did i know i signed a philosophical exemption.  That way the school was in legal standing, and i could get the records whenver i felt like it, cuz at that point, it didn't matter if the school had them or not with the exemption on file

Yep, only in Boulder. My 7th grader was supposed to get a vax (I think it was Tdap); he is completely unvaxed and his school sent me a a letter informing me that he "needed" the vax, and a copy of the vax form to sign with the exemption highlighted!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#9 of 13 Old 06-16-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

That's really funny. I'm in a pretty liberal town, but apparently nowhere near as open as Boulder!

#10 of 13 Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:

And of course, why would there be a state law saying the schools have to inform parents there is an exemption option when there is a state law saying the shots are required

I'm pretty sure there is at least one state, and probably only one state, that requires schools to inform parents of the exemption. I'm not sure which one, but I was thinking Colorado, perhaps? And then I read those replies above, so I might be right.

#11 of 13 Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

I believe it. The weird thing I just realized is that the doctors are kind of the same way.

We were referred to our ped by a few different people, some who only selectively vax and some who follow the protocol, and I think at least one who doesn't vax at all. The first thing I saw in the office was a commendation from the AMA for having a high rate of compliance with the recommended vax schedule. Their written policy is that they follow the guidelines, vaxes exist for a good reason, it's best for all kids, etc. That turned me off, but then I spoke to the doctor and she gave me the line about what she has to say, but is okay with me not following "the plan." Each time we go, she checks to see which shots he's due for, and then tells me which she thinks are the most important. She only chooses one or two at most and has nothing to say if I refuse them all. It's weird. It's like silent intimidation that no one really wants to follow through on. The doctors don't enforce their own policies. The schools push all responsibility onto "the law" and the law itself provides for an exemption that no one ever talks about but is so easy to get. (Ours isn't even "religious beliefs" it's "personal beliefs" so that people don't feel like they're being dishonest if their actual religion doesn't have a stand against vaccinating...)

It's like some bizarre secret club where you have to speak the language to understand what's really going on. And I don't think I do yet.

#12 of 13 Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 AM

Don't all states have at least the medical/religious exemptions?

Anyways, I've found that places that "require" vaccinations, such as schools and daycare, definitely don't make it sound like you have the choice to exempt yourself from them, but you do. Just bring in a copy of whatever expemption route you're going smile.gif

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#13 of 13 Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmomma View Post

Don't all states have at least the medical/religious exemptions?

Anyways, I've found that places that "require" vaccinations, such as schools and daycare, definitely don't make it sound like you have the choice to exempt yourself from them, but you do. Just bring in a copy of whatever expemption route you're going smile.gif

Mississippi and West Virginia are the only states that do NOT have a religious exemption. Only a medical exemption. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page