Literature on Treating Diseases that have Vaccines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really wasn't sure how to title this lol. DH and I feel confident on our choice to not vax; however, I do not feel confident on recognizing/treating vaccine "preventable" diseases. I like my family doctor, I've been seeing him since I was 3 and I definitely plan on using him for LO rather than a pedi. However, as much I really, really like him he doesn't know anything about "alt." medicine or basically anything that doesn't come with a a free lunch. lol. I'm "fine" with the I suppose since I'm pretty sure that finding a MD that doesn't feel that herbs and homeopathy is "voodoo magic" would be hard to come across, especially in my area. 

There is an herb shop around an hour away from here (where I used to live before we moved back to hometown) and the owner has been treating/practicing for over a decade. Also, about an hour twenty (bleh) there is a naturopathic doctor whom I have seen a few times, liked, plus she's a natural pedi? I would have to look into this.

Regardless, I'm ranting. As much as I feel I have a decent "network" around me, albeit most are a long distance, I definitely want to learn more for myself. Especially since, say, whooping cough it makes a HUGE difference to catch it early on. Could you help a mama out and point me in the right direction? There seems to be so much contradicting information out there I think my head is swimming. 

#2 of 7 Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

You might want to get yourself a copy of the now out of print book, Your Vital Child by Mark and Angela Stengler, it lists conditons from A to Z (W actually), with all the childhood diesease included. They suggest two level of support: biasic, which includes diet, common supplements, herbs and homeopathy; and advanced, with more nutritional supplements and other modalities of healing, for example, aromatherapy, acupuncture/acupressure etc.

I have found that my unvaccinated children have never been sick enough to really use the book, and I don't agree with all the dietary recommendations, but I think it is still a reassuring reference to have in your library. 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 7 Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)

one "good" thing you might have with you dr is if he's OLD - they have been there, they know what they are looking at and they know how we use to deal with things

you might want to bring up the subject and ask how it use to be treated, many things were simply done and not tons of med (not alternative but not total intervention either) - like in a dr that pushes the importance of REST (so many now just want to write an excuse for a day off from school vs years ago they saw the importance of really resting at home)

before you start in with VPD ask about other things - fever (most now jump the minute a child gets one, that wasn't always the case) and a good MD will tell you when and how to treat one, ask about other simple things and get a feel for if you can go there with VPD- I also have found most dr go by what you ask and HOW you ask it, some do not volunteer info if you want "todays way" of dealing with things - you need to probe, you might be surprised! good luck

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 7 Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

one "good" thing you might have with you dr is if he's OLD - they have been there, they know what they are looking at and they know how we use to deal with things

you might want to bring up the subject and ask how it use to be treated, many things were simply done and not tons of med (not alternative but not total intervention either) - like in a dr that pushes the importance of REST (so many now just want to write an excuse for a day off from school vs years ago they saw the importance of really resting at home)

before you start in with VPD ask about other things - fever (most now jump the minute a child gets one, that wasn't always the case) and a good MD will tell you when and how to treat one, ask about other simple things and get a feel for if you can go there with VPD- I also have found most dr go by what you ask and HOW you ask it, some do not volunteer info if you want "todays way" of dealing with things - you need to probe, you might be surprised! good luck

These are good points. Uhhh... he's no spring chicken. When I asked him before he just responded "I'm not much older than your mom, I'm not going anywhere." Lol. He's always been very good with having no issue taking a back seat. For example, he takes no offense if I refuse medication but he's also ok with my mom who wants an antibiotic for EVERYTHING. He's also the type that wants to know how things are going on in your life, something I feel has been lost recently. I like that he asks how things are going with my family, where I am working, how much sleep am i getting a night, how much/what am i eating etc.

I know he's been in practice for at least 25 years since that's how long I've been seeing him. 

#5 of 7 Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I HIGHLY recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/Prevention-Treatment-Infectious-Contagious-Homeopathy/dp/1425118690

expensive but WELL worth it IMO. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Our Ped is an older gentleman and just interviewing him we got a sense of his experience with VPDs and upon speaking of today's vaccine schedule, he was very honest (it is excessive).

That may be why I would suggest the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Healthy-Child-Spite-Doctor/dp/0345342763/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371587785&sr=8-1&keywords=in+spite+of+your+doctor

It is not a complete manual by any means, no book is, but it's common sense and a respect for maternal instinct, with a perspective of an experienced pediatrician. It is actually the one I pack when we go on vacation, as not to leave it home, that and the one below.

The following book, I would also reccomend although it may seem a bit amateur, in the writing aspect, but that's acceptable, what I really was seeking, again was her experienced perspective and she gives it. It is particularly rich with information pertaining to treating measles.

http://www.amazon.com/RAISING-A-VACCINE-FREE-CHILD/dp/1418450170
solstices likes this.
#7 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the suggestions! My amazon wish list definitely got a bit more expensive lol. 

Does anyone have any experience with this book? I had it on my baby registry but no one bought it for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Rosemary-Gladstars-Herbal-Remedies-Childrens/dp/1580171532/ref=br_it_dp_o_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=17EA5AZUYZPS3&coliid=I3UG7E12FORZ6D

I just ordered "Your Vital Child." Yay for out of print books being only $4.25 via amazon!! If they are compariable then I will just stick with what I just bought. I already have several herbal books; however, all of them only contain info on adult dosages and recomendations. 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page