Another Book of Lies from Offit published - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Paul Offit is expanding his horizons and publishing a non-vaccine book Do You Believe in Magic? The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130618/FEATURES08/306180037/Book-raises-alarms-about-alternative-medicine

It sounds like he's describing the vaccine business and not alternative medicine.

Quote:
Many consumers view alternative medicine industry as more altruistic and home-spun than Big Pharma. But in his book, Offit paints a picture of an aggressive, $34 billion a year industry whose key players are adept at using lawsuits, lobbyists and legislation to protect their market.  "It's a big business," says Offit.
#2 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

He certainly is a loyal servant to his masters.

japonica, Taximom5 and inconditus like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

biglaugh.gifnot only is he an expert in autism (even though he doesn't treat autistic children) now he is an expert of all things alternative (with absolutely no training, no background, no nothing). 

He reminds me of Steven Barrett, MD.

The size of his ego scares me

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 AM

Barf. As my husband would say, "What a jacka**."

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

biglaugh.gifnot only is he an expert in autism (even though he doesn't treat autistic children) now he is an expert of all things alternative (with absolutely no training, no background, no nothing). 

He reminds me of Steven Barrett, MD.

The size of his ego scares me

but you are sooooo wrong - he is the dust.gifperfect rainbow1284.gifperson to write such a book - he is an expert, he knows how BIGpharma needs to work, that means not having the money go into anything alternative - he can butter bread! winky.gif

he's got that good old trust factor, so just trust him on this too!!! so much easier (for that undecided person) to just hang on his every word! 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kinda makes me want to go to the bookstore with a pack of sticky notes and tuck a little warning into all of his books. . .
Marnica and Taximom5 like this.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#7 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

He certainly is a loyal servant to his masters.

Or maybe he's just missing the vaccine profits he made before he sold the patent on his Rotavirus vaccine.  

Amazing that those who idolize him criticize Dr. Sears for OMG!!!!! SELLING A BOOK ABOUT VACCINES AND POSSIBLY EARING MONEY FROM IT!!!  yet they don't see what Offit is doing...3 books basically aimed at selling his own vaccine and all the vaccines of Merck, and trashing all the alternatives.

#8 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjagrabel View Post

Kinda makes me want to go to the bookstore with a pack of sticky notes and tuck a little warning into all of his books. . .

AND don't forget to turn the book around or MOVE it as well, we don't need a best seller for this little diddy

Mr. Offit is a busy man (sadly it's too true)  - this directly effects those in PA BUT it will have deep ramifications if things do change in PA with Mr. Offit's pushing - http://articles.philly.com/2013-05-10/news/39144680_1_child-abuse-neglect-first-century-gospel

and his desire to see this change stems from this case - (very interesting because it goes a bit into the history here in PA on why we have a religious exemption) - http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/nwtonight/item/56216-protecting-children-and-faith

this is scary stuff for other states! 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#9 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjagrabel View Post

thumb.gif  thanks for the idea

#10 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 06:16 PM

I'd like Offit to meet my stepfather. He refused chemo and surgery on his lung cancer and instead opted for one of those internet cures, figuring, "What the hell, I'm 75 and if I'm going to go anyway, it won't be suffering from the after effects of chemo." Of course, we all had a good laugh about it, "Internet cure...sure. You're off your rocker, but it's your choice." Turns out the joke was on us. eyesroll.gif

Four years on, he's still alive, the tumours have either shrunk, disappeared (doctor said he must have misdiagnosed the tumour in his neck and it was a blip on the scan, riiiight), or stayed the same size. His oncologist was kinda disappointed actually and kicked him out of the office at the last visit when my stepfather (30 lbs heavier and looking fab) asked him, "Don't you have really sick people to attend to?" biggrinbounce.gif

applejuice likes this.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#11 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 09:52 PM

Japonica, that's a great story, good for your stepfather. I should send my DH along with your stepdad to see Dr Proffit, my DH completely healed from bone cancer without any treatment, not even internet! Maybe it was magic!

japonica and BeckyBird like this.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#12 of 21 Old 06-19-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Meanwhile, people are lining up for mammograms, CT scans, colonoscopies (not to mention X-rays at the airport), eating pesticide-laden and antibiotic-laden foods, and then we wonder why cancer rates are up.

Yup, big business, cancer.  

#13 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 AM

Do you believe in Offit?

Quote:

The Offits of the World come and go.  Next year's drug peddler might still be Offit or it might very well be someone else, someone fresh and unexposed for what he or she really is – nothing but a slick talking head for the drug industry.  But, in the meantime, how many deaths, lessened quality of life, shortened lifespans, and lives filled with pain, misery and tears will be on Offit's hands because he scared consumers and patients away from healthful supplements and into unnecessary surgeries, harmful vaccines, and killer drugs?  Offit's soulless repetition of drug-industry platitudes will convince the unthinking and naïve; but in doing so, they carry very real consequences for many millions of lives.  Is this not also another form of the "banality of evil" of which Hannah Arendt once wrote?

BeckyBird likes this.

#14 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by japonica View Post
(doctor said he must have misdiagnosed the tumour in his neck and it was a blip on the scan, riiiight),

Wow, what a shame! He would rather admit it was a misdiagnosis, instead of congratulating your stepfather for healing with alternative medicine!

Cancer is a big, ugly, soulless business! Offit is the perfect man for the job here, and it's no surprise he wrote this book.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#15 of 21 Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM

I think in the long run, this will backfire because so many parents have had their children damaged by vaccines, have been told that there is nothing that doctors can offer them and have rescued their children at the hands of quackery.

the rate of vaccine damage is getting higher not lower, and Paul Offit denies all of it. 

There will come a time when parents look at Paul Offit's words, and say, "Well, isn't that interesting.  they had nothing to offer me and the very thing he decries as being useless was the very thing that worked.  If he has no idea about vitamins and nutrition, then just how much of an idea has he got about vaccines?"

So his last two books, in my opinion, has offloaded a few bullets into his right foot.  On that basis, I look forward to his next book, because there will come a point where he will hang his reputation squarely on his own ignorance.

the only book that he ever wrote which was even worth a skim read was this one http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Antibiotic-Habit-Parents-Infections/dp/0471319821/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372454372&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=How+to+break+the+antibiotics+habit

Mirzam, BeckyBird and Taximom5 like this.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#16 of 21 Old 06-28-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post

There will come a time when parents look at Paul Offit's words, and say, "Well, isn't that interesting.  they had nothing to offer me and the very thing he decries as being useless was the very thing that worked.  If he has no idea about vitamins and nutrition, then just how much of an idea has he got about vaccines?"

Yes. 

(Good to see you MT.)

applejuice likes this.

#17 of 21 Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM

kiss.gif Why thank you Mirzam.

Blame Applejuice.

She put reputation on a post I wrote in 2007, and I thought, What? is that thread STILL alive?

It wasn't.

So since I have an hour of mooching, decided to see what was up, and after scratching my head at forum changes, knew where to head.

whistling.gif

so seeing a couple of interesting issues, I though maybe I'd chime in and see whether the FIM disease had improved or not.

probably not. duck.gif

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#18 of 21 Old 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM

I fear the FIM disease is worse. Applejuice is very liberal with her 'reps'. winky.gif (I am sure your 2007 post deserve it) Bless her heart. luxlove.gif 

applejuice likes this.

#19 of 21 Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM

My FIM ?, or FIM in general  winky.gif

#20 of 21 Old 06-28-2013, 03:41 PM

What is FIM?

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#21 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

What is FIM?

foot in mouth disease.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page