Measles outbreak - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Outbreak is kind of a stretch, but we have 3 confirmed cases of measles in the lower mainland (vancouver, BC). Any suggestions for this non vaxxing mom on immune boosters if my children do contract it?
#2 of 14 Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The chances of your children contracting measles are pretty slim to say the least. However, most kids in days gone by (me included) sailed through measles, it isn't particularly pleasant, but not horrible. 

BMJ: Measles not the scary disease we are lead to believe - this article quotes UK doctors in 1959 experiences in a measles epidemic (a true epidemic of 41,000 cases in the first three weeks of the year).

I can't say I believe in the "boosting immune system" theory. IMO the immune system is a healing support system, so you support it with optimal nutrition all the time. Measles depletes the body of Vitamin A, so ensuring plenty of Vitamin A in the diet is a good thing, and supplementing during a case of measles is a good thing.

Measles Vaccines Part 1 Ineffectiveness of Vaccination and Unintended Consequences

Measles Vaccines Part 2 Benefits of Contracting Measles

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 14 Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM

Thank you for this. There have been 2 cases here in PEI and I was wondering the same thing.
applejuice likes this.
#4 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 AM

3 cases also in Burlington Ontario too. Assuming they were vaccinated kids as well since I am sure the media would be trumpeting their vax status if they were unvaxxed... Lol. Started searching these forums for info after hearing these measles cases were very local (exposure possible at my local mall) but totally chilled after reading the accounts of parents on here. Would almost be a blessing to just GET the measles! My only fear would be the incessant chatter from people around me about how I have left my kids vulnerable to these tragic childhood diseases and LOOK what happened... Sigh.
applejuice likes this.
#5 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Hmmm.... Seem funny to anyone else that there are these small incidents in places around the country... All just a few cases? Possible story plant to encourage vax uptake?

Loved one line in the article I read just recently too... "There is no cure for measles, but it can be prevented with vaccination." Wow. So much fear mongering and misinformation in one short sentence.
#6 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I found the article--it's at wikihow:  http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Measles

You can actually edit the (mis)information, right on that page; it says so!  But apparently, not from a cell phone with wavering connection--I just tried.   

That ridiculous line "There is no cure for measles, which makes the vaccine even more important," should be deleted and replaced it with something like, "we now know that vitamin A can help minimize or avoid complications from measles."

The part that says, "Become informed about the importance of getting a measles vaccine.  The controversy over whether the vaccine may cause autism has been diffused, and there is currently no medical evidence that supports the idea that the measles vaccine may be responsible for autism in children."

should be replaced with:

"Become informed about the safety/efficacy issues surrounding the MMR.  Like the Italian government, the US Department of Health and Human Services has very recently admitted and compensated cases of vaccine-induced autism, and has also compensated many cases of vaccine-induced brain damage. The MMR has been linked with seizure disorders, as well as arthritis/arthralgia in post-pubertial females receiving boosters.  As with tobacco products, always question the validity of safety/efficacy studies conducted by the manufacturer.

The following afflictions affecting nearly every body system--blood, lymphatic, digestive, cardiovascular, immune, nervous, respiratory, and sensory--have been reported following receipt of the MMR shot:  encephalitis, encephalopathy, neurological disorders, seizure disorders, convulsions, learning disabilities, subacute sclerosing pan encephalitis (SSPE), demyelination of the nerve sheaths, Guillain-Barre syndrome (paralysis), muscle incoordination, deafness, panniculitis, vasculitis optic neuritis (including partial or total blindness), retinitis, otitis media, bronchial spasms, fever, headache, joint pain, arthritis (acute and chronic), transverse myelitis, thrombocytopenia (blood clotting and spontaneous bleeding), anaphylaxis (severe allergic reactions),  lymphadenopathy, leukocytosis, pneumonitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, erythema multiform, urticaria, pancreatitis, parotitis, inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, meningitis, diabetes, autism, immune system disorders, and death."

And then it should include include a bunch of links, like thinktwice.com/mmr.htm.

If anybody is near their computer and can edit...

#7 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blt178 View Post

Hmmm.... Seem funny to anyone else that there are these small incidents in places around the country... All just a few cases? Possible story plant to encourage vax uptake?

Loved one line in the article I read just recently too... "There is no cure for measles, but it can be prevented with vaccination." Wow. So much fear mongering and misinformation in one short sentence.

Well, we have east coast, central and western Canada covered….. winky.gif

Honestly, though, people travel to the UK in Spring and summer.  I suspect it was simply brought back form Wales. 

Quebec had a huge outbreak a few years ago in a mostly vaxxed community.  I am not sure the vaccine is brilliant once the disease takes hold in the community.  That being said, I am also not sure the number of cases reported matched the reality of who had the disease.  We know that in Wales, huge numbers were reported to have it, but then the NIH numbers were much lower.  

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#8 of 14 Old 07-05-2013, 04:22 PM

Taximom5, THANK YOU for pointing out that article.  I just edited it.  We'll see how long my changes last ;)

Taximom5 and sassyfirechick like this.

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along
#9 of 14 Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
It's crazy that they say, "there is no cure for the measles." That's like saying, "there is no cure for the common cold."
jules33 and mcmulyn like this.
#10 of 14 Old 07-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules33 View Post

Taximom5, THANK YOU for pointing out that article.  I just edited it.  We'll see how long my changes last ;)

Well the changes are still there and I gave my vote for accuracy

jules33 likes this.
#11 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 AM

Has anyones non vaxxed child got the measles? I am in the process of convincing my husband to skip this one..he seems most worried about measles. I'm just curious to know if getting measles is any different for a vaxxed and un vaxxed child
Thank you for the research links! smile.gif
applejuice likes this.
#12 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 AM

Must you have religion to have a conscience? Protect your beliefs -

http://www.7dvt.com/2012want-avoid-measles-vaccine-find-jesus

Does natural measles infection provide the body with benefits that we will never be allowed to know of?

http://www.examiner.com/article/measles-virus-used-to-kill-cancer-cells-by-scientists-london-study#sthash.2ycQfmu5.gbpl

Quote:
"The design and reporting of safety outcomes in MMR vaccine studies, both pre- and post-marketing, are largely inadequate."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004407.pub3/abstract;jsessionid=82CA566DA3A95E8C818D193F9223EE10.d03t04

JewishPress.com writes about the politics of vaccination.

http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/the-measles-scare-and-cdc-politics/2013/07/10/

#13 of 14 Old 07-17-2013, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deailedlace View Post

Has anyones non vaxxed child got the measles? I am in the process of convincing my husband to skip this one..he seems most worried about measles. I'm just curious to know if getting measles is any different for a vaxxed and un vaxxed child
Thank you for the research links! smile.gif

I think you should tell your husband to ask his parents about the measles. I bet they had them and I bet it was no big deal. Have him watch this Brady Bunch Episode that aired in 1969 for a little perspective. Measles was a routine childhood illness that rarely caused complications in healthy children. It wasn't until the vaccine came out and was being used routinely that it was made out to be a killer disease.

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-brady-bunch/is-there-a-doctor-in-the-house-4639/

I think you can watch the episode here:

http://motionempire.me/Watch_The_Brady_Bunch_Season_01_Episode_13_Is_There_A_Doctor_In_The_House_Online_for_Free_41960.html

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#14 of 14 Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes, all 3 of my kids got it and my DH and I (who were Vaxed) also got it. You can click on my link and look back through

my posts.... really, I thought it was way easier than chicken pox :-)2whistle.gif  Although, when my kids had CP, it wasn't bad at all either so smile.gif

applejuice likes this.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page