NY state public schools how to get in non vaccinated - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas. I am reposting from Tribes forum. there are no responses so far and I need an advice ASAP.

if anyone in NYC or NY state had the same issue with trying to put not vaccinated children in public schools, please share your experience/tricks!

Yesterday I went to CBO(community based org.) to drop off documents for my DS to go to their pre-k in September. The director asked for immunization card, and I asked her what was the procedure in case we don't immunize. She seemed to be understanding and called the department of health in front of me to ask them the same question. So the answer was that the reason for not vax has to be either doctor's prescription (which is rather non-existing) or religious belief. The family policy is not valid exemption for NYC public school system; and basically there only two other options : to vaccinate your child or send her/him to non vax friendly private school. Non of the two is an option for me. help!

homebirth.jpg6/21/09 intactivist.giffambedsingle1.gifREPlaySkateboard04HL.gifphotosmile2.gif

#2 of 5 Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Other than Mississippi and West Virginia, which only have medical exemptions, New York may be the hardest state to get an exemption. This is because New York law leaves it open for schools and school districts to aggressively question and challenge your religious beliefs against vaccines. So not only must you state in writing that vaccines are against your religious beliefs (there is absolutely no getting around that), but you might have to be very convincing. (The law allows questioning, but does not require it).

Going to a private school will not exempt you from the requirement of either fully vaccinating or turning in a religious exemption. The only difference between the two extremes of the most strict public school district, and the most friendly private school, is that the former will challenge your beliefs as aggressively as possible, and the latter will accept your religious belief letter without question. The public pre-K you applied to sounded pretty friendly about it. It doesn't sound like you'll have a problem with them.

There is no official form you must fill out (you can write your own letter), but this form is provided if you do want to use it.

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sss/schoolhealth/schoolhealthservices/modelreligiousexemptionformmarch10.pdf

In your religious exemption statement, you should be careful to not include any non-religious beliefs about vaccines. For example, don't say that you're afraid they might cause a bad reaction. New York considers that to be a philosophical objection, which does not qualify.

innerself likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 07-04-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

thank you ma2two, that was supper useful!

with that school I went to I already told them it's a family policy, not a religious belief(stupid i know, should've been prepared better). but i'll try to come back there with a letter any way and see if that works. in any case will be ready for the p.s. application next.

homebirth.jpg6/21/09 intactivist.giffambedsingle1.gifREPlaySkateboard04HL.gifphotosmile2.gif

#4 of 5 Old 10-31-2013, 09:45 AM

Hello!

Along these same lines, anyone have experiencing using the religious exemption with silver nitrate ointment and vitamin K shot?  We are due in February and I've been told that CPS is called upon refusal.  Please help!

#5 of 5 Old 11-23-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hi. I have never heard of the enforced vaccination as such. Isn't it still a choice? That sounds horrible. I would advice to check in with a lawyer if such threats are legal even.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page