Help! Rabies question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2013, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

This is the one disease that scares the crud out of me since it is fatal. Amd my daughter got bit by a kitten saturday. I have no specific reason to believe the kitten has rabies, but rabies cases have been increasing in our area, with 2 skunks being found just a few blocks from where this happened.also one county over they have a confirmed kitten case.

So it was my dads cat. He has adults that go outside and i don't think they were all vaxxed. My hubby has been watching them while he was gone and say that there was no weird behaviour from them that he noticed. According to cdc we are supposed to quarentine the animal and watch them 10 days. Which we will. Also calling doctor first thing tomorrow morning. 

I am freaking out and can't sleep. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

I guess it would be helpful if i asked the question, which is what would you do? Am i freaking our over nothing? Should we just get her the shots? What about everyone else that was there in the house?

Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't think twice about it. It is so extremely unlikely that the kitten has rabies. Has the little kitten been attacked by a wild animal recently? Rabies is transmitted by saliva and is most present in animals like raccoons, skunks, coyotes and bats. A kitten with rabies? I doubt it.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Rabies is not as rare as people think. Can you take the kitten for testing somewhere?

Cats are more likely to have rabies than dogs because fewer people vaccinate cats.

Yes, if there is a suspicion of rabies, a child can be given injections.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

Is this what scared you?

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20130706/NEWS01/307060018/

Personally, I wouldn't give it a second thought. The above article is fearmongering. Not saying the kitten didn't have rabies, but the fact it is very, very rare where you live.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, Mirzam, that and this http://www.greeleytribune.com/news/6823297-113/department-skunk-health-animal.

Well, hubby says that the outdoor cats have not come inside at all in the last 10 days or so and that the kitten has never gone outside, so it is very unlikely that the kitten has had contact with any animal with rabies.

Anyway, I didn't give it much thought when it happened other than to get it cleaned up real good, but last night I was up with my 4 year old, already worked up about the fact that she was coughing straight for over an hour, when I read the above.

eta: the child that was coughing and the child that was bit were two different girls.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mod Hat:

Pregnancy has given me a bad case of pins and needles in my typing hand - so this is short.

I'm not vaccinating is Support Only. I have receieved a flag, PM sent. Still seeking clarity on some issues in the vax forums- just letting you all know to keep this Supportive to Fruitfulmomma.

Member hat:

((Sorry that happened to your daughter, FM.))

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Does the kitten show weird behavior e.g fear of water etc? Personally I would have the kitten tested and then go from there. In the article stated by Mirzam, the family and the vet got vaccinated after it was confirmed that that cat had rabies. Did you rinse the bite with alkaline soap?

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Old 07-08-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

My husband does not believe the kitten appeared to be unhealthy in anyway and my dd said it did not try to attack her at all, it was only when she tried to pick it up that it bit her. We are going down there today to catch it and will quarantine and observe it per cdc recommendations. http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/animals/domestic.html

Old 07-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

The CDC recommendation on that site is not to begin vaccination if the animal can be quarantined and observed - if the kitten develops symptoms of rabies, you'd obviously revisit that, but it sounds like a pretty typical interaction for an overwhelmed kitten and a kid, even a kid trying hard to be gentle. 

Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

The only way to "test" for rabies is to kill the animal and remove it's head to examine the brain.  So unless you have serious reason to believe that an animal is rabid, that is not the road you want to go down.  Rabies is pretty hard to transmit betweeen animals so even casual contact with an outdoor cat who was positive would not transmit the disease.  If the kitten has no open wounds, you're fine, just a feisty kitten that was overstimulated.  When I did shelter work I had the option of getting the rabies vax for myself and opted out because it's so rare in companion animals.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Yes, Mirzam, that and this http://www.greeleytribune.com/news/6823297-113/department-skunk-health-animal.

Well, hubby says that the outdoor cats have not come inside at all in the last 10 days or so and that the kitten has never gone outside, so it is very unlikely that the kitten has had contact with any animal with rabies.

Anyway, I didn't give it much thought when it happened other than to get it cleaned up real good, but last night I was up with my 4 year old, already worked up about the fact that she was coughing straight for over an hour, when I read the above.

eta: the child that was coughing and the child that was bit were two different girls.

Given this information - no I wouldn't give it another thought. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List