How many non-vaxxers are there? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 07-09-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was raised without vaccination, as were my parents- so naturally I have adopted the same mindset and do not vaccinate my children (and not without substantial personal research).

But where I live, if I tell someone that I don't vax my kids- they nearly shun me.  My pediatrician makes me sign all these waivers basically saying I'm a horrible parent, schools think I'm insane, mothers think I abuse my kids, etc etc etc and I'm sure you all have similar experiences. 

So my question is- How many do not vaccinate?  Is there a national percentage?  I can't be the only one in the area- are there areas in the US or global where the tables are turned and most do not vaccinate?  Perhaps if I knew there was a small army behind me in my family decision- I would have more confidence telling others....

;)

applejuice and Taximom5 like this.
#2 of 32 Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have no clue about statistics, but I'm in NYC and my dd is fully unvaxxed. You're not alone! :-)
applejuice and KistheMum like this.
#3 of 32 Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM

I found the coverage rates broken down by individual vaccines and states.  These are the coverage rates for 2011/1012. It also includes the national coverage rate for each vaccine. Hope this helps.  Our current population in the US is over 316,000,000.  If you do the math, you can figure out just how many people do not vaccinate in your state.  Look up your state's population and find out what percentage of vaccine coverage rate is for each vaccine and then subtract that number by the population,and you will find out that there are actually millions of people who choose to refuse certain vaccines.  There are still far more who vaccinate however, obviously. 

( example:  92% (coverage rate) of  (CA pop) 38,000,000  =34,960,000 people,  then 38,000,000-34,960,000=3,040,000  people who refused Dtap in CA) These are only rough estimates, but you get the idea.

I am still looking for coverage rates for completely unvaxed children, but haven't found this yet.  I hope this helps a little.  It helped me.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/stats-surv/nis/tables/1112/tab02_antigen_iap_1112.pdf

stellanyc likes this.
#4 of 32 Old 07-10-2013, 12:36 PM

Personally i think there are more parents that don't vax then you think. I think many people do not talk about it in public because of exactly the type of treatment you describe. I know I don' advertise it that's for sure!

applejuice likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 32 Old 07-10-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank-you.  :)

#6 of 32 Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I've met several doctors, nurses, PAs, etc, who vaccinate on a greatly reduced and delayed schedule. And more and more highly educated parents are realizing that the vaccine companies, and even the CDC and FDA do not tell the truth about the safety and efficacy of vaccines.

I suspect that fewer and fewer parents are complying with the recommended vaccine schedule.
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 32 Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Personally i think there are more parents that don't vax then you think. I think many people do not talk about it in public because of exactly the type of treatment you describe. I know I don' advertise it that's for sure!

yeahthat.gif

NOBODY in real life knows we don't vaccinate, except my kids' doctor and the school office.

applejuice likes this.
#8 of 32 Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No one i know really knows either...just a select few i chose to tell, because i know they would not have objections, and adhere to the same beliefs as me.   It's really no one's business what you do medically with your child.  

#9 of 32 Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethann View Post

So my question is- How many do not vaccinate? 

Enough for the media to bombard us with fear monguering bullshit hoping people will cave into peer pressure. 

#10 of 32 Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM

I don't know how many, but we are non-vax.

Our daughter caught H1N1 and was over it in days without medication.

She caught whooping cough and was over it in a week and totally 100 % recovered in less than two weeks.

Years ago, my husband's nephew was fully vaccinated, caught whooping cough from the vaccine and almost died in the pediatric ICU.  Took almost a month and a half to recover.

She's never needed antibiotics.

Other people's children get sick and are down for days and days, she is usually not sick for more than 24 hours except those two more intense situations.

If people think you are crazy for not vaccinating, I'd would encourage you to remember why you are not vaccinating and look for more intelligent friends.  Another option is telling people your child's vaccination records are totally up to date.  Anybody who ever asks me about ours that is what I tell them, and it is completely true.  The blank record is totally up to date.

There's also a great book... http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Healthy-Child-Spite-Doctor/dp/0345342763/ by Robert S. Mendelsohn M.D.

#11 of 32 Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KistheMum View Post

If people think you are crazy for not vaccinating, I'd would encourage you to remember why you are not vaccinating and look for more intelligent friends.  Another option is telling people your child's vaccination records are totally up to date.  Anybody who ever asks me about ours that is what I tell them, and it is completely true.  The blank record is totally up to date.

joy.gifthumb.gif

#12 of 32 Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Many years ago, I was trying to help a friend who was having a really tough time with a school system in upstate NY about them refusing to allow the child in school without vax.

I read the regulations, and the regulations said it was "Mandatory for each student to have a current vaccination record" for enrollment.  It's been a lot of years so maybe not exactly like that, but the "current vaccination record" being what was mandatory was the thing I picked up on.

I told them to write the child's name, date of birth, other pertinent information and put "Current Vaccination Record" on it and put a little thing on the bottom they swore this is a true and accurate record.

All the problems with the school went away after they submitted it.  All they needed was an accurate current record according to their own regulations.

I think if people looked around, they would find many regulations read like this.  You have a human right not to be forced to have toxins injected into your body, and the rules do actually respect this.  You just have to know how to read the rules.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#13 of 32 Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Stopped vaxxing at 5mos after bad reactions, and will not vax DD again or future kids at all.  Unfortunately the company we keep is mostly nurses/emt's/firefighters/cops.....those who tend to follow and do as they are told.  One in particular (nurse, going back to school for nursing doctorate)rubs me the wrong way in just about every aspect of life but DH and her DH work together and have been friends for years and we're godparents to their youngest so I really have to practice my calm voice and reign myself in with her although one of these days....lol!

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#14 of 32 Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

You are not alone out there!

We don't advertise my kids vax status in public either. It would give rise to great discussions. Now I basically just stay out of it or change the subject.

applejuice likes this.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#15 of 32 Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Yeah, I don't talk about it much, either. I do my part to normalize it a bit when the subject comes up, but I usually just say we're delaying them for now. It's true- I'm not sure we won't do some selectively at some point.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#16 of 32 Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM

You definitely are not alone. The population of parents who are becoming educated about vaccinations and making their own choices in regards to their child's health is growing.
applejuice likes this.

Eri superhero.gif mom to our beautiful rainbow1284.gif DD (born 5/2012) and expecting our newest blessing stork-girl.gif (7/2014). I also happen to be married to THE best DH ever! partners.gif We're a proud Christian family!

heartbeat.gif " I carried you for nine months, and I'm going to carry you until you can carry yourself on your own." heartbeat.gif
#17 of 32 Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM

You are not alone. I'm in the Northwest and there are many, many people I know who either selective/delay or don't vax at all. The school my son will attend is mostly of un-vaxed children. Up here it's no big deal. I guess I'm really lucky.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#18 of 32 Old 08-07-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

You are not alone. I'm in the Northwest and there are many, many people I know who either selective/delay or don't vax at all. The school my son will attend is mostly of un-vaxed children. Up here it's no big deal. I guess I'm really lucky.

What?  a school of mostly unvaxed kids and we're not hearing of the scores of children being decimated by childhood diseases running rampant?  What's going on there??   (sarcasm)

applejuice likes this.
#19 of 32 Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

I've met several doctors, nurses, PAs, etc, who vaccinate on a greatly reduced and delayed schedule. And more and more highly educated parents are realizing that the vaccine companies, and even the CDC and FDA do not tell the truth about the safety and efficacy of vaccines.

I suspect that fewer and fewer parents are complying with the recommended vaccine schedule.

I think you're right, and it's not even that there are more and more "anti-vax" parents, I think a big part of it is that the vax schedule keeps getting bigger and bigger, so there are more and more parents who think the number of vax's is ridiculous, or that some of the newer ones are a bit frivolous, even if they believe some of the classics (like tetanus) are useful. The leap of faith necessary to be fully compliant keeps getting bigger.
applejuice likes this.
#20 of 32 Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

What?  a school of mostly unvaxed kids and we're not hearing of the scores of children being decimated by childhood diseases running rampant?  What's going on there??   (sarcasm)

Haha, well I failed to mention that it's a school for zombie children. It's full of "The Infected".
BRAINS!!!!!!
applejuice likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#21 of 32 Old 08-07-2013, 06:26 AM

:-P

It's a Waldorf school. The kids seem really healthy. :-)

joy.gif

#22 of 32 Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 AM

Dalia, you must live near me! My ND's daughter goes to that school. She was just recently telling me about it.
applejuice and dalia like this.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#23 of 32 Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 AM

I am due in September and after much research we are not vaccinating our little boy!

#24 of 32 Old 08-18-2013, 01:00 PM

How many in San Antonio, Texas?

applejuice likes this.
#25 of 32 Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 PM

I'm in CA, and I don't vaccinate my two kids. I also don't tell people in my community-
applejuice likes this.
#26 of 32 Old 08-19-2013, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have also wondered this. Even though I think about it frequently, I am careful not to bring it up. Getting vaccinated on schedule is definitely the norm around here. I worry if anyone finds out that we have made different choices we will be shunned and that would be unfortunate for my children. At the same time I want to beg everyone with babies to research vaccines before they take them for "shots.". If only they knew what are in them! When someone complains of allergies or food sensitivities or behavioral problems I want to bring up vaxes but alas, not a great idea here. You're not alone op.
applejuice likes this.
#27 of 32 Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

To the OP - I too was raised w/o vaccines - my grandmother was an RN and PhT, my father a DC, my sister is a DDS.  My grown children are not vaxed and neither are the grandchildren.

Keep doing your research and know that you are doing the right thing.

Use common sense and feed your babies well. Avoid crowds and sick people. Follow proper hygiene.

It is no one else's business. There are more people today who do not vaccinate. You are lucky. I am old enough to have had classmates with leg braces from polio. 

sassyfirechick likes this.
#28 of 32 Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Applejuice I think your family should be observed by scientists as a comparison for the epigenetics debate and how vaccines have a generational effect :wink  I'm hopeful that my own kiddo(s) will follow my footsteps and we can reverse the damage in future generations!

#29 of 32 Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Applejuice I think your family should be observed by scientists as a comparison for the epigenetics debate and how vaccines have a generational effect :wink  I'm hopeful that my own kiddo(s) will follow my footsteps and we can reverse the damage in future generations!

and here's hoping my kids do the same!! So far, as adults, so good!!

#30 of 32 Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Paraphrasing Dr. Robert Mendelsohn from 25+ years ago:
Doctors do not care about people (like me) who do not follow their advice.

Doctors toss people like me out of their practice and send a CYA letter.

Doctors will never know if people like me are healthier than the ones who do follow their advice.
Therefore doctors do not know nor do doctors care about me.

And quite frankly, I would like them to keep their gloved hands off my clean body. I have survived this far without them, and do not need nor want anything to do with them.

LET ME ADD that if doctors REALLY wanted to know about vaccinations as a generational effect, they would not have have published the Amy Parker Hit Piece.  They would have studied a family like mine instead. 

As I said, doctors are not interested in any one who does NOT follow their advice.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page