Exemptions for yellowfever for international travel? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in Uganda and travel to other countries in Africa a few times a year.  Recently, they have begun to check more for yellowfever cards when people travel.  I have several friends that have been asked for the cards, and if they forgot them they just vaccinate them in the airport!!

DH and I have both had yellowfever vaccines, since we got them before I really knew anything about vaccines, but neither of my children have had it.  I also check the WHO statistics on yellow fever and there is no yellow fever currently in Uganda, and it hasn't been in any of the places we have brought the children.

I am concerned one of these times they will ask for our cards, and there is no way in h*ll i would let them vaccinate my children and then get on a plane with no access to emergency medical care. 

Is there any kind of exemption program for yellowfever?  I'm hoping that DH and I having our cards will be enough, but I am very concerned about this

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 3 Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever

Medical Waivers (Exemptions)

Some countries do not require an ICVP for infants younger than a certain age (<6 months, <9 months, or <1 year of age, depending on the country). Age requirements for vaccination for individual countries can be found in the Yellow Fever and Malaria Information, by Country section in this chapter. For medical contraindications, a physician who has decided to issue a waiver should fill out and sign the Medical Contraindications to Vaccination section of the ICVP (Figure 3-02). The clinician should also do the following:

• Give the traveler a signed and dated exemption letter on the physician’s letterhead stationery, clearly stating the contraindications to vaccination and bearing the stamp used by the yellow fever vaccination centers to validate the ICVP.
  • Inform the traveler of any increased risk for yellow fever infection associated with nonvaccination and how to minimize this risk by avoiding mosquito bites.

Reasons other than medical contraindications are not acceptable for exemption from vaccination. The traveler should be advised that issuance of a waiver does not guarantee its acceptance by the destination country. On arrival at the destination, the traveler may be faced with quarantine, refusal of entry, or vaccination on site. To improve the likelihood that the waiver will be accepted at the destination country, clinicians can suggest that the traveler take the following additional measures before beginning travel:

• Obtain specific and authoritative advice from the embassy or consulate of the destination country or countries.
  • Request documentation of requirements for waivers from embassies or consulates and retain these along with the completed Medical Contraindication to Vaccination section of the ICVP.

Table 3-24. Countries that require proof of yellow fever vaccination from all arriving travelers1

Angola
Benin
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Congo, Repubic of the
Côte d’Ivoire
Democratic Republic of Congo
French Guiana
Gabon
Ghana
Guinea-Bissau
Liberia
Mali
Niger
Rwanda
São Tomé and Príncipe
Sierra Leone
Togo

1 Country requirements for yellow fever vaccination are subject to change at any time; therefore, CDC encourages travelers to check with the destination country’s embassy or consulate before departure.

#3 of 3 Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

As was shown in my post above, medical exemptions are the only available exemptions.

One contraindication to the yellow fever vaccine is "allergy to a vaccine component."

Is it possible that your children might have a "severe allergy" to any of the vaccine ingredients?

Hypersensitivity

Yellow fever vaccine is contraindicated for people with a history of hypersensitivity to any of the vaccine components, including eggs, egg products, chicken proteins, or gelatin. The stopper used in vials of vaccine also contains dry latex rubber, which may cause an allergic reaction. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page