Latest CDC Data on Kindergarten Vaccination Coverage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-03-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

You know you're getting too geeky with this topic when you get excited about this release of data.  redface.gif

What stands out to you?  For me, it's the state with the highest climb in exemptions: West Virginia! bigeyes.gif

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6230a3.htm?s_cid=mm6230a3_e

applejuice and emmy526 like this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 23 Old 08-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks!!  Now i have a source to refer to..thumbsup.gif

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 23 Old 08-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

West Virginia exemptions increased by 1%, but the numbers were so low to start with, the 1% increase does not represent many students.

To get an idea of the numbers, total Kindergarten exemptions in West Virginia last year were 262. There were 15,845 in California.

applejuice and Turquesa like this.
#4 of 23 Old 08-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Looks like Colorado has some of the lowest uptake rates, if I am reading it correctly. 

Hmm... I know we've pertussis outbreaks, anyone know if we've had recent outbreaks of anything else listed?

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 23 Old 08-04-2013, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

West Virginia exemptions increased by 1%, but the numbers were so low to start with, the 1% increase does not represent many students.

To get an idea of the numbers, total Kindergarten exemptions in West Virginia last year were 262. There were 15,845 in California.

And the reason WV's exemption rate is so low is that neither medical nor philosophical exemptions are permitted.

Which means that MEDICAL exemptions increased, adding support to the idea that more children--and even adults--are having severe vaccine reactions than ever.

Even with the woefully inadequate rate of recognition and reporting, they are increasing.
#6 of 23 Old 08-04-2013, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Damn glad I don't live in Mississippi!

#7 of 23 Old 08-04-2013, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Looks like Colorado has some of the lowest uptake rates, if I am reading it correctly. 

Hmm... I know we've pertussis outbreaks, anyone know if we've had recent outbreaks of anything else listed?

Not that I have heard off. I'm in Boulder where the rate of fully vaccinated is 60%. Last confirmed case of measles in Boulder county was in 2007, a 9 month old baby who had returned from Bangkok and India. In 2012 there was a suspected case, that turned out to be negative.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#8 of 23 Old 08-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

i'm moving to denver in a couple months..i'm familiar with boulder too, as i used to live there 20yrs ago...alfalfa's still there?

Quote:
Not that I have heard off. I'm in Boulder where the rate of fully vaccinated is 60%. Last confirmed case of measles in Boulder county was in 2007, a 7 month old baby who had returned from Bangkok and India. In 2012 there was a suspected case, that turned out to be negative.
#9 of 23 Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Damn glad I don't live in Mississippi!

What's up with that?  ZERO exemptions in Mississippi?  Not even medical exemptions?  Wonder what the autism rate is in Mississippi?  The ADDM data does not represent Mississippi.

sassyfirechick likes this.
#10 of 23 Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

What's up with that?  ZERO exemptions in Mississippi?  Not even medical exemptions?  Wonder what the autism rate is in Mississippi?  The ADDM data does not represent Mississippi.

There were 23 exemptions among Kindergarteners last year in Mississippi (all medical, of course). The number is even lower than West Virginia, because in Mississippi, a government official has to approve each medical exemption. However, vaccines are not required for homeschooling in Mississippi, so those children were not counted.

#11 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 AM

Colorado does require vax coverage for homeschoolers, so I wonder if we were counted then? We do have philosophical exemptions, for now.

I do see we had a couple of cases of measles this summer, from a man who traveled from India and may have infected others in a doctors office. As this happened in early June, I am not seeing a widespread outbreak of any kind.

#12 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Colorado does require vax coverage for homeschoolers, so I wonder if we were counted then? We do have philosophical exemptions, for now.

I do see we had a couple of cases of measles this summer, from a man who traveled from India and may have infected others in a doctors office. As this happened in early June, I am not seeing a widespread outbreak of any kind.

But that was in Parker. I am talking specifically about Boulder County where the vaccination rate is way lower than the rest of the state.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#13 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

i'm moving to denver in a couple months..i'm familiar with boulder too, as i used to live there 20yrs ago...alfalfa's still there?

Woo hoo Emmy!

Yes, alfalfa's is still here. It was a Wild Oats for a few years, but the former owner of Wild Oats (sold out to Whole Foods) took it back and turned it back to alfalfas. 

Leftover Salmon's - When I grow up (alfalfa's song)

emmy526 likes this.

#14 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 AM

Boulder County:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_19848081

In 2010/2011 Boulder Valley Schools had 1,815 exemptions for completely unvaxed elementary children and 1,012 under vaxed. According to the article, it appears that Hep B, the MMR and varicella, most not given. So where are all the measles cases? Chicken Pox is fairly easy to come by here.

Quote:
A state study of immunization rates found that parents opted out of the measles, mumps and rubella and varicella (chickenpox) vaccines most often. The measles, mumps and rubella vaccine is one of the most controversial because of reports of its link to autism, which public health officials say are unsubstantiated.

Boulder Valley doesn't break out which vaccinations parents opt out of most often, but district officials said common exemptions are for live vaccines — measles, mumps and rubella and varicella and Hepatitis B.

Quote:
Yager, with Boulder County Public Health, said the county last looked at immunization rates in young children in 2007. The 2007 study of children 6 months to 35 months found only 60 percent of Boulder County children had received all of the recommended vaccines.

#15 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 AM

Mirzam, I was answering my own question really. Sorry for the confusion. 

Alfala's... haven't been there since I was little. Nice that he was able to reopen. The Wild Oats in Fort Collins was shut down after Whole Foods bought it. 

#16 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 AM

I remember an Alfalfa'a in Fort Collins, was it also renamed as Wild Oats? It was a nice store.

#17 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Boulder County:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_19848081

In 2010/2011 Boulder Valley Schools had 1,815 exemptions for completely unvaxed elementary children and 1,012 under vaxed. According to the article, it appears that Hep B, the MMR and varicella, most not given. So where are all the measles cases? Chicken Pox is fairly easy to come by here.

Am I reading this correctly?  2,827 unvaxed or "undervaxed" children in Boulder Valley schools ALONE?  And we're not hearing tales of mass outbreaks of all kinds of dreaded diseases, with innocent babes dying left and right because of the germ-laden unvaxed population??

Hmmmm....

I hope someone is also planning a study of health outcome on Boulder Valley School students, vaxed vs. unvaxed, with specific attention to autism, speech delays, tics, asthma, celiac, and autoimmune disorders.

Mirzam and KistheMum like this.
#18 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Am I reading this correctly?  2,827 unvaxed or "undervaxed" children in Boulder Valley schools ALONE?  And we're not hearing tales of mass outbreaks of all kinds of dreaded diseases, with innocent babes dying left and right because of the germ-laden unvaxed population??

Hmmmm....

I hope someone is also planning a study of health outcome on Boulder Valley School students, vaxed vs. unvaxed, with specific attention to autism, speech delays, tics, asthma, celiac, and autoimmune disorders.

You are reading correctly. I would be happy to have my two unvaxed Boulder Valley schools students included in that study. Of course they probably don't want to draw attention to the fact that these unvaxed children aren't falling like flies with VADs and they are likely healthier than the average US child. I think Boulder is somewhat of an embarrassment for those pushing the theory of mass outbreaks and dead kids without vaccinations.

BeckyBird, KistheMum and Taximom5 like this.

#19 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Well, maybe the residents of Boulder don't have much contact with the outside world. They are probably far away from any nearby airports, where VPDs are only a plane ride away! A nice, closed community that is rarely exposed to VPDs, I guess.

No, wait, Boulder is close to the Denver International Airport.......the largest airport in the US.

!

KistheMum likes this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#20 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

The number is even lower than West Virginia, because in Mississippi, a government official has to approve each medical exemption.

Whaaaaat?! What gives them the expertise to even make that decision?! That's treading dangerously and I'd love to see parents with vaccine injured kids take issue with that and hold those govt officials accountable for their kids injuries because hot damn, for them to deny an exemption and then have something happen to that kid, wow.....

#21 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

You are reading correctly. I would be happy to have my two unvaxed Boulder Valley schools students included in that study. Of course they probably don't want to draw attention to the fact that these unvaxed children aren't falling like flies with VADs and they are likely healthier than the average US child. I think Boulder is somewhat of an embarrassment for those pushing the theory of mass outbreaks and dead kids without vaccinations.

They don't care about the unvaxed children, remember?  They only care about the vaxed children whose vaccines fail to protect them

And we're not hearing about ANY outbreaks, amongst ANY population, vaxed, or unvaxed.

BeckyBird likes this.
#22 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 AM

So, what exactly constitutes an "outbreak"? Does cdc or who have a definition? The newspaper reports of the two cases in Denver of measles called it an outbreak. I personally, hardly think that 2 cases out of population of over 5 million people, excluding visitors to the state (of whom it seems of the cases was) an outbreak. Another media spin to get people hyped up?

BeckyBird and KistheMum like this.
#23 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Well, maybe the residents of Boulder don't have much contact with the outside world. They are probably far away from any nearby airports, where VPDs are only a plane ride away! A nice, closed community that is rarely exposed to VPDs, I guess.

No, wait, Boulder is close to the Denver International Airport.......the largest airport in the US.

!

Not to mention all those pesky foreign students at CU, bringing all those germs.

emmy526, BeckyBird and KistheMum like this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page