Well baby visits, CPS and not vaxxing. Philosophical discussion. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)

This is a bit of a spin-off on a topic I thought was worthy of its own thread.  

The posts relevant to this thread are at the end.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1387460/hypothetically-waiting-2-years-to-vax-at-all/20#post_17423794

Non-vaxxers occasionally suggest skipping well baby visits if the baby is thriving.    

Is this good advice?  Could it come back to bite you in the a$$ if CPS is called for one reason or another ?  Not vaxxing might not get you in trouble with CPS- but could skipping WBV?  Are different demographics at different risk for having CPS called (I think the obvious answer is "yes") but no one is risk free.  Should chances of CPS being called come into  play when deciding whether or not to do WBV?

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think the best situation is to find a doctor (pediatrician or family practice doctor) who accepts your choice to not vaccinate, even if he/she doesn't agree with it. Then, go to well baby visits to establish a relationship with the doctor, and to protect yourself if there is ever a CPS situation. You can discuss with the doctor how often you should go as a non-vaccinating parent. The doctor will probably agree that every 2-3 months is not necessary if the baby is not coming in for vaccines.

CPS can be called on anyone for any reason, so I think all parents should take this basic step to protect their family.

applejuice and Marnica like this.
#3 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a BFF who has 5 kids & no vehicle plus no employer insurance (kids eligible but not signed up for insurance) & no primary (as the primary wants her to do WBV to be a patient there). I think they might be more understanding if there were clear economic impediments?

I know they will send a form to your Primary to fill out & also ask for a Dentist form . . . Of course even fewer families have dental insurance . . .
applejuice likes this.
#4 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It may be where I live (in the Northwest) but I am truly puzzled by the idea that someone could have CPS called on them for not going to WBVs. My son does not have a "regular" doctor. He sees a naturopath when he is sick, and if its something that needs more medical intervention then he sees a Nurse Practitioner who comes to the house. Same will go for DS2 when he is born. He will see a naturopath for his WBVs for the first few months just to touch base, and then only when he is sick. I can't imagine someone calling CPS on us, and even if someone did it would be laughable. My children are obviously very well cared for.

It is a choice to go to WBVs and there is a big difference between medical neglect and deciding not to do regular check-ups. Has this ever actually happened to anyone? Does anyone know anyone that this happened to? I just can't imagine it being an issue.
applejuice likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I don't think the OP was about CPS being called for not attending WBVs. I think it was *if* CPS is called for another reason and, during, the course of the investigation, it came to light that they hadn't been attending WBVs, would that count against the parents.
applejuice and Lazurii like this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 AM

^Yes & in the PNW, Naturopaths are to some extent recognized as legit primary care providers.

The issues happen when CPS is called for another reason & there are no Vaxes PLUS no Primary Care Provider and/or when a Primary Care Provider themselves gets upset with a parent for not coming in on an agreed upon schedule. If *they* call something in, it tends to carry some amount of weight.

IMO doing WBV is (legally) protective of the Vax Exemption to an extent . . .
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I don't think the OP was about CPS being called for not attending WBVs. I think it was *if* CPS is called for another reason and, during, the course of the investigation, it came to light that they hadn't been attending WBVs, would that count against the parents.

Yes.

I don't think skipping WBV is grounds for CPS getting involved.  Skipping WBV is not medical neglect, if medical neglect is defines as failure to seeek appropriate treatment when ill or hurt.

However, if CPS is called for another reason, one of the boxes they like to tick is "has a primary care physician."  

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#8 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

It is a choice to go to WBVs and there is a big difference between medical neglect and deciding not to do regular check-ups. Has this ever actually happened to anyone? Does anyone know anyone that this happened to? I just can't imagine it being an issue.

For me, this is the crux of the issue.

Sadly, CPS is not colour or poverty blind.   A quick google search showed that minorities and low income families are more likely to be reported to CPS.

If, for one reason or another I felt I was at higher risk for CPS being called, I probably would attend WBV in an attempt to show I was a good mom "just in case."  If I felt I was unlikely to have CPS called on me - I would skip WBV if I wanted to.   I know lower risk is not the same as "no risk"  - but I am not a big fan of making decisions out of fear.   

Of course, some people go to WBV, refuse the vaccine, and then the doctor calls CPS over it.  Google say so.  I don't know how often this really happens, though.  Does anyone avoid WBV in order to avoid the possibility the hcp will call CPS for non-refusal??

I see reasons beyond thinking WBV are a waste of time in avoiding WBV.  I think newborns should be sheltered somewhat from the masses - and particularly sick people.  My doctors office does not have a separate entrance or waiting room for sick people .

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

#9 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 AM

CPS scares me. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've read too many horror stories about children being taken away for ridiculous reasons (like the parents in CA who had their baby taken away after they sought a second opinion when they didn't like the care they were receiving). I think its good to CYA by going to WBV because you never know what could be used against you. CPS has way to much power and not enough accountability for what they do.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page