polio in Israel, and I live there - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

The local government is on a campaign to give all kids country-wide the oral polio vaccine, and the school year begins on Sunday.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/171015#.UhSC9D9l9x4

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/171128#.UhSC8j9l9x4

I live in the Center (Jerusalem), not north or south where cases have been found.

My kids are not vaccinated, and I am concerned about the bathrooms at school (not to mention the hands of kids who do not wash properly). If the other students have had the oral polio within the last week, and traces of it can be found in feces for up to three weeks, what is my plan?

I would much prefer not vaccinating, but is that a responsible way to handle this scenario, with the oral vaccine literally surrounding us? Is there a homeopathic remedy to combat in case I notice any symptoms that do crop up- or any other way to be prepared?

I am not so savvy with the ins and outs of these specific vaccinations. Any guidance is *much* appreciated.

Thanks,

dd

edited to add: I am expecting, and I have a toddler in diapers. is there anything I need to be extra careful of for myself in terms of the oral polio?

#2 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)

According to the site, oral polio vaccine has a polio rate of 1 in 2.4 million people.  Assuming that is correct, your risk of getting polio from the live vaccine is pretty low.

http://ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3136&q=397348

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 09:12 AM

I too am concerned about this. I live in Jerusalem and have 4 unvaccinated children ages 9 months to 6 years. My understanding is that my children are more at risk because the medical establishment is vaccinating all children with the oral (live) vaccine. The virus is then shed in the fecal matter of ALL those vaccinated even if they show no signs of the virus. Those who are unvaccinated are then coming in contact with the virus via everyone getting the oral vaccine (all children under the age of 9.) My understanding is that if my children had been given the vaccine shots, they would not have the same risk when they come in contact with the shedding virus. Coming in contact with it is highly likely, almost certain, because kids are generally very poor in the hygiene department, to add to that, there is a neighbor of ours whose child plays with my children every day and he is constantly sticking his hands in his underwear and scratching his behind - (I'm thinking of telling his mother about his scratching, but I'm a bit uncomfortable doing that.)

Again, any suggestions/advice regarding the polio issue? Any natural minded doctors I can talk to?

TIA

#4 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, mommyfish, that is exactly my concern--

definite exposure combined with the hands of friends plus public toilets

Can I wrap my kids in condoms and send them to school that way :)

I feel a pressure to come to some kind of solution. If my best option is actually to vaccinate, I'd like to do it soon.

#5 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddD View Post

I feel a pressure to come to some kind of solution. If my best option is actually to vaccinate, I'd like to do it soon.

Well, would you do oral vaccine or IPV?  

IPV typically takes a number of shots to reach full immunity - would your kids even have decent immunity once the oral campaign begins?

Are you worried about them getting polio from the oral vaccine or just from it exisitng in Israel?

If you are worried about them getting it from the oral vaccine, well the odds seem very, very  slim, unless the stat I posted above is incorrect.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, kathymuggle, I hear you. I am worried about the OPV, not the existence of polio itself.

If the statistic is 1 in 2.4 million get polio from OPV, and also the statistic that 95% of polio cases do not end up with paralysis (or is it 97%?), then the chances of paralysis from exposure to the OPV is slim indeed-- is this what you are saying?

Would you *personally* feel confident not having any specific response if you were in this situation? Aside from a discussion about clean bathroom habits, etc. Or is there something else you would do?

Thanks!

#7 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would not do anything.

www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/polio/in-short-both.htm

95% of people who get polio with be asymptomatic,

4-8% will have minor symptoms (like a stiff neck)

less that 1% will have paralysis.

Those are great odds that even coming into contact with recently OPV kids, nothing will happen to your kids.

The chance is 1 in 2.4 million of them even catching it in the first place (per Kathy's link from OPV transmission)

On top of that, with the above stats it is astronimically high chance of nothing happening at all. It is such a large number I can't even work it out. (ok ok, I am feeling lazy!)

Read about Dr. Klenner and other amazing doctors who had a 100% success rate in curing dozens of cases of polio (even bulbar cases which are the worst) with intravenous infusions of vitamin C (SA kind). He presented this information at symposia and all kinds of meetings.

Robert Landwehr, "The Origin of the 42-year stonewall of Vitamin C" Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, vol 6, no2, 1991

Fred R. Klenner, MD, "The treatment of Poliomyelitis and Other Virus Diseases with Vitamin C" Southern Medicine and Surgery, Vol 111, July 1949 pp 209-214 (You can do a google search and find most of his work for free online)

E. Greer, "Vitamin C in Acute Poliomyelitis," Medical Times, Vol 83, Nov 1955, pp 160-1161

Claus W Jungleblut, "Further Observations of Vitamin C Therapy in Experimental Poliomyelitis," Journal of Experimental Medicine, Sept 1937, pp 470-471.

In Conclusion, It is still my belief that the chance of you or your child having a reaction to the OPV or even IPV is HIGHER than the very remote chance of them catching it (even if it is wild or caused by shedding).

If for some strange reason you think they are getting it. Store Vit C (in SA form), stay away from DDT, get good nutrition, and drink good water.

My thoughts,

S

DS-13

DD-8

DD-2

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

MissCee likes this.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#8 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Would you *personally* feel confident not having any specific response if you were in this situation? Aside from a discussion about clean bathroom habits, etc. Or is there something else you would do?

If mass use of OPV was the issue, I would double check the 1/ 24 000 000 rate - and assuming it was correct, I would do nothing.  I know that is easy to say from an area where OPV use isn't, but I think it would hold even if I lived in Israel. One in 24 million does not even come close to the number where I would start to worry.  

#9 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 PM

My child's only vax is IPV which she got from an int clinic for precisely the same concern. I'm not afraid of the wild polio, just the kids with the vac! This decision was based for our peace of mind. It was an imported vac. I live in China.
#10 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Do you have Ipol available? I know I'm a select-delayer (very much so), but the IPV version of iPol is something I can live with. It's something we're starting soon (at 2.5/5 years) just in case of those cases. Polio never crossed my mind until I read that about Israel and we were traveling internationally (through FRA JFK SFO) when we met a group of teenies who just came back from Israel (obviously they didn't have polio and the kids are fine, but it did give me a slight panic attack).

#11 of 20 Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

Here are the opinions so far:

* Have vitamin C available (SA form), aside from that nothing but good health practices-- thank you for those sources kathymuggle

* Vax IPV

* Vax ipol IPV

Do you think in my case, where the presence of OPV is already here and the complete course of IPV takes several months, that there would actually exist a benefit (if any) in taking the IPV? Would anyone have the OPV without IPV (that option scares me to be sure, seems like I am inviting the virus into my home)?

I am going to look into homeopathic options also, and report back.

I would love to hear others' views and opinions as well.

#12 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Dr Suzanne Humphries speaking on polio in Israel

BeckyBird likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#13 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the video. She mentions another video on youtube, it is over an hour long, I will have to make time for that. She is definitely not advocating getting the opv, even with the present polio situation.

I also read a report by Kate Birch about treatment and prevention of polio and mumps using homeopathy. Lathyrus is something she mentions specifically, and then different remedies for the specific type of polio around, if applicable. For some reason, I can't do the link, but it is called

"Vaccine Free Prevention and Treatment of Infectious Contagious Disease with Homeopathy" by Kate Birch

#14 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My worry would be that even with the OPV you would be initially suppressing the immune system before giving it any kind of protection which puts your kids at a greater risk for a whole host of illnesses.  If those around you are already beginning use of the OPV, my choice would be to do nothing, well nothing except boost the natural immune system as a preventative measure. You could also have them tittered to see if they've already had exposure with no symptoms and already have immunity?

#15 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)

OP I'm really curious as to the governments decision/reasons for giving OPV - what are they saying is the reason? I find it odd, given the size and not like you are some 3rd world country remote nation, we also give tons of aid too yet they use OPV?? And what is being done about it in your sanitation system? I can't grasp the cost thing, you now have it in your sanitation $$$ seems like a real mess!

sorry to hear about this

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#16 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

My husband's theory is that someone owes someone political favors, and this is how to pay back, by having the government buy all these vaccines. Also to instill fear so the population will go along with whatever the gov's plans are because "look, we really do have your safety and best interests at heart."

I found this about the water system in a local newspaper, it is from over a month ago.

On 3 July 2013, Israel's newspaper Haaretz reported:

"Almost 90 percent of sewage from Palestinian towns in the West Bank flows into the environment untreated, contaminating the groundwater and 162 kilometers of streams, according to a report prepared by the Israel Parks and Nature Authority.

"The report, prepared for the Environmental Protection Ministry and the Civil Administration in the West Bank, is based on water samples taken from various locales in 2012.  It found that some 50 million cubic meters of sewage flow into the environment from Palestinian towns every year.  Only 5 million cubic meters go to treatment plants, some of which are substandard.  This affects Israel as well as the West Bank, since the polluted streams flow into Israel.. .

Israel has tried to cope with the problem by building treatment plants near the Green Line separating Israel from the West Bank and treating the contaminated water once it enters Israel.  But the facility built to treat the Hebron Stream − the most polluted of all − can’t handle the volume of waste it receives.  Contaminated water reaches nearby communities, emitting a stench and attracting mosquitoes."

Ha'aretz is pretty left leaning as Israeli newspapers go, but it is still a newspaper so do with it as you will :)

I haven't found anything on what the plan is going forward, in terms of sewage and water treatment.
#17 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I sent out feelers and this is what I got back:

Naturopath recommended boosting the immune system by eating lots of pure foods the next couple of months, meaning not processed, and also by giving the kids an antioxidant formula to take.

Homeopath recommended taking Lathyrus Sativus once per week for four weeks. She said at the times of polio epidemics in the 50s and 60s this is what the homeopaths at that time administered.

So I am thinking this sounds like a plan.

#18 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:

I haven't found anything on what the plan is going forward, in terms of sewage and water treatment.

I can guess what the plan is but this isn't the section to talk about this irked.gif so much is soooooooooo connected!

BeckyBird likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#19 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

I can guess what the plan is but this isn't the section to talk about this irked.gif so much is soooooooooo connected!

I hear you!!

And I just saw this this morning-- the gov is advising children with immune disorders not to attend school until Jan. 2014. They are arranging home ed options for these kids.

BeckyBird likes this.
#20 of 20 Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:

Homeopath recommended taking Lathyrus Sativus once per week for four weeks. She said at the times of polio epidemics in the 50s and 60s this is what the homeopaths at that time administered.

Thank you for this tip. I'm going to bookmark this info and learn more about it. Good to know!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page