So, so, so sad... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

From a woman on one of the FB groups...

Quote:
Posted earlier about a pro vac friend who has been in the hospital from when the drs diagnosed the baby with gullian barre, now after 2 months of treatment they are saying Its krabbe diaease. Its This common from vaccinations too? They are preparing my friend for the death of her one and only baby girl.

I just don't see how this isn't murder for profit by the pharmaceutical company and the doctors accessories to it.

Nobody deserves this regardless of their stance on vaccines.  Please send prayers for this family.

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

praying.gif how very sad.

applejuice and KistheMum like this.
#3 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That is so horrible. My god.

Krabbe's disease is an inherited genetic disorder. It's a recessive trait. Early onset begins to show symptoms at 3-6 months.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krabbe_disease

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#4 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Great here comes the pro-vaxxer to say it isn't vaccine related.

I thought pro-vax stalking (TROLLING) wasn't supposed to be allowed in this forum anymore.

Krabbe disease is caused by genetic mutations.  Only a pro-vaxxer would say that vaccines can't cause genetic mutations.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#5 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM

Not nice

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#6 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

This coming from a wikipedia medical education.

Read the whole article.  It says it is caused by genetic mutations.

applejuice likes this.
#7 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

Oooookay. I thought the truth didnt belong to any one side. It's hard when facts (like the definition of an illness) conflict with your ideology. Pray away!

Edit: you guys pray, and geneticists work, and let's see who figures out a cure for Krabbe disease first.

this is not nice

#8 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:

Oooookay. I thought the truth didnt belong to any one side. It's hard when facts (like the definition of an illness) conflict with your ideology. Pray away!

Edit: you guys pray, and geneticists work, and let's see who figures out a cure for Krabbe disease first.

This is uncalled for.  

The "you guys" thing is a pretty sweeping assumption.  Some non-vaxxers don't pray.  Some do.  Some pray - and also think geneticists do fine work.  Don't try and paint all non-vaxxers as religious (I am not religious).  

I had no issue with your first post, btw.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#9 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KistheMum View Post

Great here comes the pro-vaxxer to say it isn't vaccine related.

I thought pro-vax stalking (TROLLING) wasn't supposed to be allowed in this forum anymore.

Krabbe disease is caused by genetic mutations.  Only a pro-vaxxer would say that vaccines can't cause genetic mutations.

GB can be triggered by vaccines but Krabbe probably not.  BUT it doesn't matter how it came about it's horrible either way.  And Katie you're being really rude and incensitive.  Knock it off.

Marnica, BeckyBird and KistheMum like this.
#10 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Children get shots at birth, one month, two months, four months, six months (I don't actually know what the schedule is), and the standard timeframe for Krabbe is 3-6 months.

Yep, impossible for there to be a correlation there at all.

Would be very interesting to see the DNA from those childrens' PKU test along side their post-mortem DNA.  Wouldn't expect that to be available any time soon, though.  And...  Epigenetics from parents being vaccinated couldn't possibly have anything to do with it, either.

Mirzam, applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#11 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM

This is fear-mongering with a mask of compassion.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/krabbe/krabbe.htm

From the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/951722-overview

Medscape

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1238

The most highly detailed on genetics and why some people are affected very young and others are not affected until adulthood. It's not straightforward Mendellian genetics- you can't just draw a Punnit square with this one.

This is one of the worst things I can imagine happening to a family. I hope the research on cord blood transplant as a treatment goes somewhere.

Editing my prior post. Sorry.

#12 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Personally, I think it's better for a post to stay, and people see exactly what they are dealing with.

Quote:

This is fear-mongering with a mask of compassion.

Sorry doesn't seem very sincere when people throw in another insult in the same post.

BeckyBird likes this.
#13 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 02:00 PM

It is sad but Krabbe as discovered long time ago. Here is info.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/krabbe-disease/DS00937/DSECTION=causes

#14 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 02:08 PM

Well, yeah, I still feel that way, and don't really care if it's there or not. You did say that doctors are accessories to murder because you think they "gave" this girl a rare genetic disease that was first identified in 1913, so I'm not seeing you coming from a moral high ground. Then you labeled me a troll for posting link about the disease, which if you'll note, I did NOT say anything about it being linked to vaccines or not. You jumped to that conclusion based I guess on reading more about the disease and seeing that it's an inherited genetic defect that they've mapped out in great detail. So yeah, it's most likely got nothing to do with vaccines, and you can stop waving around this poor Fidel's bloody shirt.
Alenushka likes this.

#15 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

This sort of posting is highly inappropriate. As well, if you are not a non-vaxxer then you should not be posting here. If you wish to debate or have a general discussion about a topic you should post to the Vaccinations Discussion & Debate forum. 

I'm keeping the thread open but personal attack and accusations should be edited if you want to continue to have access to the thread. 

Katie8681 and Alenushka, if you are not aligned with this forum as a non-vaxxer please step out of the discussion.

Mirzam, dalia and BeckyBird like this.

#16 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 03:34 PM

In 5 years or so much of this issue will go the way of HIV denialism. Which Mothering has backed off from because facts are facts.
Alenushka and chickabiddy like this.

#17 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Katie8681 and Alenushka, if you are not aligned with this forum as a non-vaxxer please step out of the discussion.

thumb.gif

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#18 of 22 Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 PM

I was not discussing validity of anyone's vaccination views. There is a link that give accurate information about Krabbe decease from a reliable source for anyone to make their own opinions.

#19 of 22 Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Alenushka, read the forum guidelines please. I'm removing you from this discussion.

Mirzam and dalia like this.

#20 of 22 Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Katie8681, read the forum guidelines please. I'm removing you from this discussion.

Mirzam and dalia like this.

#21 of 22 Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 AM

I'm a non/selective vaxxer and I have a friend whose daughter died of Krabbe a few years ago.  To the best of my knowledge which comes from her (and she researched the HECK out of the topic and is generally very crunchy) there is no link between vaccinations and Krabbe.  Of course, new information comes up all the time, but I don't think this seems likely. 

I have to say that my heart goes out to those parents though.  Krabbe is a brutal diagnosis and I hope they are reaching out to their support community.

Imakcerka and AmiMom like this.
#22 of 22 Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM

Krabbe is caused by a certain deletion or mutation, one of which is inherited from each parent. The child's parents will likely be genetically tested to find out the source of the child's disease (i.e. which parent had which abnormality), which will be somewhat helpful in discussing treatment options but also in discussing future fertility options, etc.

So if vaccines are involved, it would have impacted the parents' genome, not the child's. I have a friend who's son has Krabbe and have been coming up the learning curve on this disease for the last several years. It's my understanding (which is far from complete) that it has never really been tied to any vaccines at any point, so I'm not sure why that the connection was made. While vaccines may be associated with mutations, not all mutations are associated with vaccines.

FWIW, I wish the best for this family and hope they find excellent health care providers, which is challenging for this rare disease. Duke has a world-renowned treatment center that did wonderful work with my friend's son.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page