wellness check schedule for nonvax - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my LO had her 1 month wellness check today and I forgot to ask when she should be back.  I know most of the scheduled visits are due to vax so I'm curious to know what you follow? 

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 17 Old 08-23-2013, 10:35 AM

I took mine in every three months until 9 months when I got fed up with the doc (a naturopath!!) always looking for something wrong even though nothing was wrong. So after that my son only went to the doc when he was sick. He's now almost 4.
applejuice likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 17 Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With DS I took him at 1, 2 4 6 and 12months and then once a year after that and when sick (he's 5 now). This was my choice and if I had a choice with my DD who is now 16 months, I probably would have skipped the 1 month and 4 month and just done 2, 6 and 12. BUT I have no choice now. The insurance I have through my employer mandates ALL well baby visits or my premiums become ridiculous. Anyway I don't mind too much because our doc is fine with us not vaxing. Its just a pain to take off work to take her up there (ped is 30 miles away).

applejuice likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 17 Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM

double

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 17 Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

With DS I took him at 1, 2 4 6 and 12months and then once a year after that and when sick (he's 5 now). This was my choice and if I had a choice with my DD who is now 16 months, I probably would have skipped the 1 month and 4 month and just done 2, 6 and 12. BUT I have no choice now. The insurance I have through my employer mandates ALL well baby visits or my premiums become ridiculous. Anyway I don't mind too much because our doc is fine with us not vaxing. Its just a pain to take off work to take her up there (ped is 30 miles away).

yes, because if the insurance mandates it, it is guaranteed pay for them, and the dr...one back washing the other

applejuice likes this.
#6 of 17 Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have medicaid.. not sure how much the gov't cares. Thankfully I really like her doctor. He's the same PCP that I've been seeing since I was a baby so I feel very comfortable with him. I don't think he will pressure me to give her shots. He's always taken no offense to my alternative medicine choices in the past even if he does tease me that homeopathic/herbal stuff is "voodoo magic."

The most he has said about vax to me was "I thought about not vaxing my kids but after looking into it I decided it wasn't worth the risk [not to.] Just get the shots. I've seen 20 cases of whooping cough this year among my non-vax patients. I can't tell you what to do though." This was after my mom said she disapproves of me non-vaxing and asked him opinion on it. I also take the part of "among non-vaxed patients" with a grain of salt since I didn't hear that part but my mom insists he said it. 

applejuice likes this.
#7 of 17 Old 08-23-2013, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

We did 1, 2, 4, 5*, 6, 9, 13 - the 13 was a resched in which the office staff and doc flipped over me not making it exactly at 12mos - even though they knew I wasn't vaxxing anymore.  (The 5 mo was strictly a shot visit as she was getting over a cold at he 4mo visit and subsequently the last shots she ever got as the reactions were just horrible!) I was "supposed" to take her at 15 & 18mos, never did, never worried, esp since her 13mo visit was a week before XMas went in healthy and yet we both had a lovely cold for the holidays!.  Just went to the ND yesterday and she basically did a 2yr well check (DD is 21mos) and we can just use her for yearly visits or as needed and will def start there with future kiddos.  While I was never officially kicked out of the other place, the ped said flat out if I don't follow their well visit scheduling then they will no longer see my child as a patient...that was all I needed to hear to hit the road.

applejuice likes this.
#8 of 17 Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)

I did 2 months, 4 months 6 months…and then only when sick after that.  

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#9 of 17 Old 08-24-2013, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I did about the first month checkup and then quit, because, why bother? If they were sick, I'd bring them in and they could get their height and weight checked then.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#10 of 17 Old 08-25-2013, 01:34 AM

At 4 mo appt I got chewed out. We've only been back when she was sick. She's happy and acts normal so I'm not worried. She's 1 now.
#11 of 17 Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 AM

With my first, i dutifully took him to all WBV's..when the second came along,  i stopped at 4mos, due to them not knowing why she was vomiting all the time-turns out she had reflux (found out months later) and, i got tired of hearing how 'tiny' she was, yet they offered no advice, other than to tell me to feed her more..smh

The third child,  my dd went in for her 2, 4 mos appt at my dh's insistence, got sick from the place, and didn't go back again since we weren't vaxing...

The fourth child,  had a hellacious labor and delivery, due to the drs NOT listening to me....  and the PICA test which the nurse tortured my baby for an hour trying to get a blood sample from his heel and then they called back a month later to say the sample wasn't good enough and they had to do it again..i never went back to do it again--the nurse that did it the first time should have retired long ago..she was SO old, her hands were so shaky, and her fumbling around with my newborn poking his foot over and over and over again, got me SO mad, after an hour, i told her the sample they had is big enough, and i'm not sitting here any more...i picked up my baby and left, and never went back.  

My first child was and still is the sickest out of all of them, and he's 25 now..he was also vaxed til two, but in '89, the schedule was less than half of what it is today.  

#12 of 17 Old 08-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

For all of mine they are seen a few times the first 6 weeks for the PKU tests etc. (At 2 days, at 2 weeks and then 6 weeks)

After that I will only see a doc if they were REALLY sick, Or if I felt something was off.... If everything is fine, I take weight, height etc myself and go yearly around their birthdays, 1, 2, 3 and so on.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#13 of 17 Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

yes, because if the insurance mandates it, it is guaranteed pay for them, and the dr...one back washing the other

Emmy - It actually has nothing to do with my insurance. It is MY EMPLOYER that mandates the visits. I explanied it poorly. As far as I know, no insurance company via employment can mandate when or if one visits the doctor, but the employer can.

#14 of 17 Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 PM

I don't think the well baby schedule is designed around vaccines so much as just wanting to keep a close eye on them during the time of enormous growth and quick change.  Doctors offices don't even give vaccines here (they are done by nurses at local public health clinics - completely separate from doctor offices), but he well baby visit schedule is basically the same (1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 12 months etc.) 

inconditus likes this.
#15 of 17 Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM

With my first, I took him after homebirth at 30 days, 2 months and then not again until his little brother was born (also homebirth) and I took the baby in at 30 days (to dodge testing)- at which point older son was almost 3.  That was the last time he's gone to the doctor.  Middle child only went at 30 days.  I now have a 10 month old- she's been once at 5 days after home birth (to certify the birth and get our residency started here we needed a letter from the doctor).

I don't like the idea of "well baby visits".  I think they are a waste.  The only reason I took my sons in after the births was to protect myself from CPS questioning if any emergency had arisen (none did).  Anyway, glad to be out of the world where those sorts of things are expected.  If you aren't going to vaccinate, I don't see the point- you know if your baby is growing and happy & healthy.  You don't need percentiles.  just ask youself, "how big is his/her smile?" :)

Of course if there's a problem, you will feel it and I wouldn't advocate not getting help if you don't know how to treat (or not treat) an ailment.

#16 of 17 Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie pop View Post

With my first, I took him after homebirth at 30 days, 2 months and then not again until his little brother was born (also homebirth) and I took the baby in at 30 days (to dodge testing)- at which point older son was almost 3.  That was the last time he's gone to the doctor.  Middle child only went at 30 days.  I now have a 10 month old- she's been once at 5 days after home birth (to certify the birth and get our residency started here we needed a letter from the doctor).

I don't like the idea of "well baby visits".  I think they are a waste.  The only reason I took my sons in after the births was to protect myself from CPS questioning if any emergency had arisen (none did).  Anyway, glad to be out of the world where those sorts of things are expected.  If you aren't going to vaccinate, I don't see the point- you know if your baby is growing and happy & healthy.  You don't need percentiles.  just ask youself, "how big is his/her smile?" :)

Of course if there's a problem, you will feel it and I wouldn't advocate not getting help if you don't know how to treat (or not treat) an ailment.

Percentiles can tell you a lot.  I have a friend whose daughter's growth hormone deficiency was caught because her growth curve fell off the chart.  If she hadn't had the percentiles to compare with, she might not have known there was an issue before it was too late.

#17 of 17 Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 PM

My son will be two in May, and he's been to all his well-baby visits.  I considered stopping after the first few,  but the doctor heard a hip click during one of them, and it made me realize that as versed as I am in assessing my son's physical soundness, I am not trained to check for hip clicks, or heart irregularities.  I also feel that it is important to have some sort of relationship to the practice, and it doesn't hurt either of us to pop in every few months.

As for percentiles, I never paid much attention, but I still find myself a little curious every time we visit.  I'm not sure if the head circumference percentile is a big deal, but at one point my sister's pediatrician had concerns with her daughter's head circumference.  

Furthermore, our pediatrician has always been respectful of my decisions, and I like going to a community practice where I don't feel ostracized or judged.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page