chicken pox party's, why? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you attend a chicken pox party?
Yes 10 100.00%
No 6 100.00%
It depends 13 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes I get that it's more complicated when adults get it, and then there's the shingles factor yada yada, but I don't get why parents who are in areas where chicken pox is nearly non-existent (I'm in New England, and people have been begging for party's for years on my tribe forum and rarely find anything)...why not just let this die out?  If it's THAT rare, than that means it's THAT rare that your child would get it as an adult as well.  Explain to me the rationale here please?

We are a non-vax family, FYI, so I'm not writing this out of judgement.  Just curious what everyone is thinking. 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#2 of 18 Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't have much time:

Chicken pox does still float around. All three of my kids have come down with it in different states, ages etc without even trying. I am glad that they now have LIFETIME immunity to it and will not need any boosters whatsoever. My guess is parents are wanting that..

You can still get shingles whether you have had the vax or not so that is a whole other ballgame.

more later

JenVose likes this.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#3 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)

I voted it depends. What it depends on is the age of the child (I would not deliberately expose an under 1 or over 12 to chicken pox) and their overall health status.

Chciken pox does still float around.

This study showed about 10% of vaccinated children got chicken pox. I do not know how many unvaxxed children get chicken pox.

http://richmondconfidential.org/2013/04/09/after-14-year-study-kaiser-finds-chickenpox-vaccine-highly-effective/

10+ % is good enough for me to try and finagle my child into getting it when mild, versus waiting and hoping they don't get it.  I do worry about the "shingles" issue - as shingles is on the upswing due to the lack of immune boost from wild CP.  Obviously a person who has never had CP or the vaccine is not at risk for shingles.  that being said, shingles can often be prevented by not getting run down.  I know - that can be hard to do!  

I don't know (at this point) if the rate of chicken pox will continue to fall or level off. it might level off - the chicken pox vaccine has a high number of "breakthrough" cases, and some parents still do refuse chicken pox vaccine.  If it continues to fall - trying to avoid CP may be a viable option.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Pretty much what KathyMuggle said.
inconditus likes this.

treehugger.gif Homeschooling SAHM of my 3 DDs 7yrs, 2.5 yrs and 1 yr
#5 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It's definitely less common now, but it's still out there, so although it might be difficult to find a party during childhood, chances are a person would get it at some point in their lives. So with that in mind, it's best to get in childhood. Also, getting it over with means you don't have to worry about your child being excluded from school during an "outbreak."

#6 of 18 Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 AM

My sisters and I all had pox when we were kids and it was no biggie.  Wait,  my youngest sister says she has a few scars so maybe it wasn't such a "no biggie" for her.  I thought I would let my kids attend a pox party to get it over with, but my husband is against that idea.  And I agree with him now also.  It's one thing getting sick accidentally, but to purposely get your kid sick...what if your kid is the very rare case that ends badly?  So no pox party for us, although I would be thrilled if my kids get the chickenpox.

caffix.gif

#7 of 18 Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post

My sisters and I all had pox when we were kids and it was no biggie.  Wait,  my youngest sister says she has a few scars so maybe it wasn't such a "no biggie" for her.  I thought I would let my kids attend a pox party to get it over with, but my husband is against that idea.  And I agree with him now also.  It's one thing getting sick accidentally, but to purposely get your kid sick...what if your kid is the very rare case that ends badly?  So no pox party for us, although I would be thrilled if my kids get the chickenpox.

25 yrs ago it was totally normal to have pox parties in the neighborhood, so everyone could get it over with...and the 'what if' part?  well, anyone's child could become deathly ill from a cold contracted at the grocery store or school.   A cold can turn into deadly pneumonia for some kids without warning.  Should we avoid the grocery store or school due to that potential hazard?   And, if my child was unusally ill all the time, or had a condition of some sort that Cp would aggravate, then I probably wouldn't go out of my way to make them sick with pox.  I would let nature takes it's course at that point. 

JenVose likes this.
#8 of 18 Old 09-05-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

25 yrs ago it was totally normal to have pox parties in the neighborhood, so everyone could get it over with...and the 'what if' part?  well, anyone's child could become deathly ill from a cold contracted at the grocery store or school.   A cold can turn into deadly pneumonia for some kids without warning.  Should we avoid the grocery store or school due to that potential hazard?   And, if my child was unusally ill all the time, or had a condition of some sort that Cp would aggravate, then I probably wouldn't go out of my way to make them sick with pox.  I would let nature takes it's course at that point. 

It was normal because everyone got it eventually, we don't really know now if our kids will go their lifetime without getting it, we can't predict that.  I'd rather not purposely seek it out if there's a good chance they'll never get it, but that's just me. 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#9 of 18 Old 09-05-2013, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Do you think kids would agree to go to a pox party if you told them why you were going?  I don't think mine would.  Is it serious enough to override their wishes (even if you could get them out the door?)   My girls are nearly-7 and 8.5yo.  I haven't even heard of anyone getting chicken pox in my area recently, even amongst all my friends (most of whom are 100% non-vax).  I would personally love to co-host a CP party myself, as the last exposure I know I had was 20 years ago, but I wouldn't make my girls go.  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#10 of 18 Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Funny, dd(11) and I just had that conversation and the party was her first choice. It came up because I'm having titers run to see if she's immune; if not it'll need to be the shot or one last try at exposure. She's been exposed to both cp and shingles so I'm hoping she had a subclinical case...but I wanted her opinion just in case. She's seen her Dad get allergy shots (that make him feel awful) often, though, so I think she understands the concept of "get sick now on purpose so you don't get sicker later" more than most kids.
#11 of 18 Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Do you think kids would agree to go to a pox party if you told them why you were going?  I don't think mine would.  Is it serious enough to override their wishes (even if you could get them out the door?)   My girls are nearly-7 and 8.5yo.  I haven't even heard of anyone getting chicken pox in my area recently, even amongst all my friends (most of whom are 100% non-vax).  I would personally love to co-host a CP party myself, as the last exposure I know I had was 20 years ago, but I wouldn't make my girls go.  

I would think children that age don't have the capacity to understand the magnitude of what is being proposed.   And in that case,  I feel as a parent, my wishes are going to override that of my child, because I am the adult, making adult decisions, and  that decision would be in the best long term health interest of my child, whether or not the child agreed. 

sassyfirechick likes this.
#12 of 18 Old 10-07-2013, 08:36 AM

My children have had chicken pox over the last month.  All four of them!  They were not vaccinated.  I have toyed with the "party" concept for several years.  They do pop up here in the Twin Cities from time to time.  I personally know of many families who have "survived" the CP "plague."  So, intentional exposure would have been pretty easy for me.  We never did it bc it never seemed like the right time.  My oldest son, 8, got it naturally, eventually.  

While I understand there can be complications (rarely), my experience is that this is not a bad virus.  My kids have been much sicker with other viruses that have caused significantly less panic and the "sickness" was actually over in 3-4 days.  They will remain out of school for a total of 4-5 days and be somewhat "quarantined" for a week, which I guess is an inconvenience, but again, for the most part, they are fine.  Watching movies, playing all day, eating fruit smoothies and having a ball playing together.  Am I happy that they are/were sick?  No, of course not.  Am I happy that they have lifelong immunity now, definitely.

It is interesting when I tell people or I am asked about my kids having chicken pox.  On one hand there is a population who react like it is a serious epidemic and almost panic at the thought.  I find that these folks fall into one of two categories:  younger parents (under 35) and doctors.  They treat me as if I am putting the rest of the world at risk.  How selfish etc.  

There is also the "older population" (I mean basically over 35) that remembers the chicken pox in almost a fond way.  They smile or even laugh a little when they see the residual pox marks on my kids.  Virtually EVERYONE "older" comments on it and reminisces.  "Oh, yes. I remember when I had the chicken pox!  My mom had 100 kids and we all had it at the same time..."  "I got the pox so badly and my brother only had one or two."  "My whole 2nd grade class was absent for a week!"  "I was SO itchy!  Especially that one on my back that I couldn't reach."  "Calimine lotion.  I was covered in it for a week!"  "I got to stay home from school and watch TV all day."   We even had one guy give my son a high five and say, "welcome to the club buddy.  We all got it"  They all look at it as a right of passage.

There are those non-vaxers of CP out there who want to expose their kids and now have their chance with mine.  I've had many parents ask if they could bring their child over when they heard we had chicken pox.  I said that they could, but when actually faced with an opportunity, they have virtually all declined.  

One thing I will note about the pox is that although my children felt fine after the initial 3-4 days (and two of them never got really sick), they looked terrible.  Please consider this if you are intentionally exposing your child.   I am sure that the kids with the chicken pox look scary to other children.  In fact, my oldest daughter, who is 9.5 yo, was downright terrified when she saw her younger brother, 8yo, with all of the scabs on his face.  She really did not want to get it and look like that.  Let's face it, none of these kids have a point of reference about what CP is.  They haven't grown up seeing their siblings, cousins and classmates get it and survive.

I hope this helps someone out there.  Let me know if you have any questions!

Married to love of my life! Children 6, 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 4 months
#13 of 18 Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Mommy View Post
There is also the "older population" (I mean basically over 35) that remembers the chicken pox in almost a fond way.  

Totally OT, but now I'm faint.gif. I'm 39 - I feel so old (said in the most whiny, decrepit voice possible).

Sus

japonica likes this.

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#14 of 18 Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Well I don't fall into the "old category" since I'm just turning 30, but I do remember CP fondly being able to sit inside next to the living room a/c (my mother never let us stay inside on hot days!), going to the town wading pool wearing one of my father's shirts to "hide" the bulk of the pox, and sitting in the tub soaking in that aveeno oatmeal mix!  My DD is turning 2 and I wouldn't turn down a play date with a pox kid and if she was otherwise feeling fine, I just might expose her to get it over with, with the reasoning that in case it comes down to her needing proof of either vax or immunity, she could be tittered and be all set.  Who knows where things are heading in terms of required vaccines or changes in allowable exemption - I'd like to think we can only get better but I also don't want my child being forced into anything and if I can get it "naturally" that's my preference.

#15 of 18 Old 10-07-2013, 05:20 PM

I don't chase around disease or do DIY immunization . . .
#16 of 18 Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 AM

There is a group on Facebook that has members who try to chain the pox from state to state. There seems to be cases all the time. If your interested in exposure here is the link. They do screen members before allowing them to join. An Admin will add you before having you join. You can then remove them after they have screened you. This is a pretty active group with lots of information.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/701669623184647/

#17 of 18 Old 12-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We did. My youngest was around 2 and he got pneumonia afterward.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#18 of 18 Old 12-08-2013, 12:05 PM

It is unfortunate for any of you who have had serious complications for the vaccines or natural exposure, they do happen. However, there are many parents that would rather take that risk of Pneumonia than deal with a vaccine that contains fetal cells, metals, and other chemicals that have been linked to serious reactions such as high fevers with seizures, future disorders and deaths. There are a lot of vaccine injured children out there, you just don't hear about it as much as you should. Partially the media doesn't cover it much, doctors don't always report it....( there is a lot about that, but that is not the topic) Parents that want a pox party see it like this, once you get the Chickenpox you have life long immunity, vs a vaccine you have to continue to get boosters for the rest of your life, which most people after they leave home from childhood do not. And, if you happen to not get your booster and are no longer immune and in your first term of pregnancy and get exposed to CP then you put your unborn child at risks. If you are an adult who gets CP you will have a more serious case that could cause complications. Also, there are more studies coming out showing children who receive the vaccine are getting shingles at a young age. Then people say there is a shingles vaccine. You should go to the CDC it is never 100% for any of these vaccines, and with each vaccine you can get the full blown disease, which can lead to the same issues as pneumonia and death ( you should ask your doctor with any vaccine to read you the ingredients and side effect, and see that these vaccines are not tested on pregnant women or children under a certain age). Going to a CP party has its risks and benefits. You just need to research the costs and benefits to vaccinating, and exposing. There are risks with vaccines and a natural exposure. There are risks involved if you or your child never are exposed to CP as well. There are pros and cons to all of it. You should never expose yourself of child if you they have a comprised immune system.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page