How do YOU handle none supporitve family members? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thankfully we are both close with our familys, and our friends are very respectful. My parents and siblings agree with us. His won't be rude {save for maybe step mom} but concerned, I'd like to help give them peace of mind when I can. I know in the long run they will see no damage has been done, maybe there will even be some eyes opened. Our choice to not to was instinctive, but now that my due date is drawing near I've been doing my home work and finding out just how nasty they are.

I'm just wondering how others have handled none supportive family members?

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif
#2 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't discuss it with them really.

I share information when they ask for it, otherwise I do not volunteer it. It is none of their business.

Much easier this way!

inconditus likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

double

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

My parents knew from the beginning and were/are supportive.   The IL's thought I was nuts.  MIL kept asking me "when's her next apt?" " what shots did she get?" and it got old fast.  I started off thinking we'd do select/delay vax, but after some nasty reactions stopped altogether at 5mos and haven't looked back.  Not too long ago my MIL came up to me out of the blue to tell me what a wonderful job I'm doing with DD and commented on how happy and healthy she is.  Now it doesn't mean she's stopped jumping to conclusions (every sniffle might just be the plague and her one and only "fever" that lasted a few hours at a whopping 100.5 just had to be a UTI!) but she's learned that I'm not doing anything harmful to my child.

Most of my friends are in the nursing field and therefore incredibly non-supportive, so we just don't discuss.  They know me, they know I don't follow the schedule, but I've never come out and said "hey, guess what, my almost 2 year old hasn't had a vaccine since she was 5 mos old".  It's sort of a non-discussion.  If anyone argues with me, they get one shot to get it out of their system and zip it from there on out, otherwise it's so long! I have no time for the kind of negativity in my life :-)

#5 of 5 Old 09-06-2013, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh yeah, I'm not going to be the one to bring it up. That's for sure. But we are around our familys a lot {and we love that}, and I know that's just one of the things my grandparents and his parents and step mom will ask about. Like I said his step mom is the only one who mite get rude about it, she has no tact and is also a nurse. If I have to I'll get rude right back, but I hope there is no need. DH has always had a strained relationship with her, and I'd rather not add any fuel to that fire.

This is just one of those things I wonder about on these sleepless nights...

Thanks

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page