Do you ever worry about getting others sick? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-04-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are a non vax family, and I often worry that if one of my kids did get a disease, ie, CP, that they could get someone else sick, ie a pregnant woman or immune compromised child. Just wondering if anyone else feels like this at times. We just headed back to school and found out DD's teacher is pregnant.
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 14 Old 09-04-2013, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No, I don't worry about it...It's also the teacher's job to take precautions, too.  How do you know the teacher didn't already have chicken pox? I actually worry more for my own kids, than someone else.  

applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.
#3 of 14 Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

No, I don't worry about it...It's also the teacher's job to take precautions, too.  How do you know the teacher didn't already have chicken pox? I actually worry more for my own kids, than someone else.

:yeah

It's my job to keep my kid safe, not to worry about everyone else.  Especially when you consider that those who vax are assuming their kid is fully protected, yet they fail to realize their kid can still carry and pass along those diseases to others.  How many parents of fully vaxed kids would be willing to take the blame for their kid passing along something like whooping cough to an unvaxxed newborn? Anything can happen.

applejuice and JenVose like this.
#4 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We use hygienic measures eg. washing our hands after using the restroom, coughing and sneezing on floors or into sleeve instead of hand etc. By doing so we try not to spread stuff that we might be carriers for. Seeing other people/kids and their behavior in this respect though makes me worry a lot more about my own family not contracting something than the other way around.

applejuice likes this.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#5 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Nope. My obligation is to my kids, no one else.

applejuice likes this.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#6 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)

Well, yes and no, but it has nothing to do with vaccines.  Most of the time people are ill it is not with a VAD.  The bottom line is:  if you or your child gets sick with anything, do your best to have them not transmit it. Stay home, proper hygeine, etc.

I do tend to worry more about infants, pregnant women, the very elderly, etc (but this has almost nothing to do with vaccines).  If I have to go out for groceries and I have a cough, I am going to avoid the line with the newborn, and get in another line.  That sort of thing.  

applejuice and rachelsmama like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 PM

Nope, I never worry about DS passing on diseases but I do worry about vaccinated kids passing diseases to DS. 

Me and DH were TTC our second child when DS became sick last week - he was diagnosed with rubella a few days ago.  He got rubella from a recently vaccinated child sneezing on his face (not the child's fault I grant you, kids don't understand hygiene at that age) but why should my unvaccinated child be exposed to vaccine induced diseases???

My SIL is currently pregnant and in her 1st trimester - we had a hairy few days waiting on blood tests to see if she'd been exposed although fortunately, she's immune.  However, my unborn niece or nephew was put at serious risk because of somebody else's vaccine.  Also, it's a good job I didn't conceive because it turns out that I'm not immune to rubella (despite being 'fully vaccinated' as a teenager) and I have contracted it now, so we can't even think about TTC for another 3 months - because of somebody else's vaccine.  You can see the theme here...

I get really really sick of being called irresponsible and accused of spreading diseases by not vaccinating my child when truthfully, it's the vaccinated kids we need to worry about.  And as micah_mae_ has quite rightly said, your only obligation is to your kids, no-one else.  My Dr. really rail-roaded me when I took DS for his diagnosis about my 'social responsibility' to vaccinate - well I'm sorry but no, I won't throw my child under the bus to save a stranger.

JenVose likes this.

Married to Mr. Crunchy June 2008 partners.gif ~ welcomed our beautiful boy August 2012 babyf.gif ~ TTC another bundle of joy whilst breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth bumming and raging against the routine. I love my unvaxxed boy novaxnocirc.gif
#8 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrunchyBrit View Post

Also, it's a good job I didn't conceive because it turns out that I'm not immune to rubella (despite being 'fully vaccinated' as a teenager) and I have contracted it now, so we can't even think about TTC for another 3 months - because of somebody else's vaccine.  You can see the theme here...

That totally sucks! But on a bright note, you will have some great natural immunity to pass on to your future LO's!

applejuice likes this.
#9 of 14 Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I work at a drugstore and was laughing so hard at work last night....I had one customer buying $80 worth of medicine because she suspected her daughter has measles. Not long after, I had an elderly lady buying Tylenol because she was just diagnosed with shingles! The stories you hear at the cash register...chuckles.
applejuice likes this.
#10 of 14 Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 AM

Why
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwen13 View Post

I work at a drugstore and was laughing so hard at work last night....I had one customer buying $80 worth of medicine because she suspected her daughter has measles. Not long after, I had an elderly lady buying Tylenol because she was just diagnosed with shingles! The stories you hear at the cash register...chuckles.

Why is that funny?
#11 of 14 Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

I just find it very ironic that I'm worrying about my kids getting others sick when yesterday was the perfect example to me that I'm putting my focus in the wrong place! My chuckle was not about others being sick.
#12 of 14 Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 PM

Of course I worry about getting others sick with a VPD.  Heck, I worry about getting them sick with the common cold!  I don't want to be passing along diseases that in healthy people are not problematic, but can be life threatening for some in the population.  We live in community with each other and have a responsibility not only to our own family but to others as well, so no, I don't want to be spreading disease unnecessarily.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#13 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 AM

I don't worry about it because I follow tighter quarantine for a longer period of time & am more 'outbreak aware' than anyone I socialize with. I also disclose, maybe too much, and the only child I have that goes into group settings had a severe reaction, so quite plausibly has a loosely defined medical contraindication.
#14 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 AM

edited

Wife to DH mom to DD(09-05) and DD(03/27).joy.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page