No, I'm not Living in Fear - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Whatta piece of propaganda this is...all i can say is, No, i'm not living in fear, because i decided to learn about how to live healthier, despite the dr.  I really don't know any nonvax parents who act that way over a cut, or an outbreak.......really?--besides themselves?? hardly.....asking questions, and wanting to give the best care possible is what i encounter.  Becoming hysterical and running immediately to the dr is not for me.     How about you?

Quote:
These mothers are beside themselves, because their unvaccinated child just was cut deeply while on vacation yet they never got a tetanus shot, or they’ve been exposed to pertussis in school and they hadn’t received the DTaP vaccine, or there is a threat of measles going around and they opted out of the MMR immunization for their child.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/northwestvoices/2013/09/05/the-risks-of-avoiding-vaccinations/

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please; if I ever became 'beside myself' I have a team of outstanding medical professionals who I can call upon. And I have noticed that in 'outbreaks' free Vaxes are typically abundant. Any mama who was truly 'beside herself' could surely avail herself of those services.
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 PM

Just read the article & while the premise has a bit of promise, the author doesn't really develop it & her opinion piece comes across as really like a club to the head: 'bad parent. BAD!'

She also is too unspecific. She presumably means 'avoiding the AAP/CDC Schedule of childhood vaccinations' because she doesn't mean avoiding Yellow Fever vax. Just saying 'vaccinations' comes across, to me, as too Orwellian. Think about how it would sound if you replaced it with 'antidepressants' or 'antibiotics'. It can be as foolish to accept OR reject those, depending on context.
applejuice likes this.
#4 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Yeah, the letter sounds a bit fishy.  I'm sure there are some parents like that out there somewhere, but all the non-vaccinating parents I know are pretty rational about potential exposures. 

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM

I don't know why I bothered reading that. It's just more of the over simplified, us vs them bullshit that makes me angry. Living in fear, my foot.
applejuice likes this.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#6 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

The hole i found in the argument they presented--- is that if an outbreak or pertussis or measles were to occur, nonvaxed kids with a waiver wouldn't be able to go to school anyway, they'd be excluded until the outbreak passed.  So their theory doesn't hold much water......  So, parents 'besides themselves' over not having the dtap, are the ones running out for the vax, not the nonvax parents who are confident in their decision.  

Quote:
These mothers are beside themselves, because their unvaccinated child just was cut deeply while on vacation yet they never got a tetanus shot, or they’ve been exposed to pertussis in school and they hadn’t received the DTaP vaccine, or there is a threat of measles going around and they opted out of the MMR immunization for their child.
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

LOL I'm the least paranoid person when it comes to disease and infection and what have you.  That's why DH is for, so someone in the house needs to have a level head!

applejuice likes this.
#8 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I wonder if the author is simply sufferring from a bit of selection bias?

Yes, non-vax mothers might be "beside themselves" when they contact her, but what percentage of non-vax mothers ever contact her over vaccinatable issues?  Probably very few.  

Only the flip side - what is her opinion of vaccine giving parents?  Are they equally "beside themselves" when they think their child might have the flu or pertussis - or are they too complacent because they think vaccines magically mean your child can't get xyz??

Her last line about living in fear of diseases or vaccinating is nonsense.  Simply because she sees a few non-vaxxers when they are worried or anxious does not mean everyone is worried or fearful all the time.   Way to paint with really large brush strokes. 

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#9 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I wonder if the author is simply sufferring from a bit of selection bias?

Yes, non-vax mothers might be "beside themselves" when they contact her, but what percentage of non-vax mothers ever contact her over vaccinatable issues?  Probably very few.  

Exactly. I would be unlikely to call the doctor's office just to say, "Hi, I know there's measles/pertussis/etc. going around in my community, but I'm not worried because my unvaccinated child has a normal immune system, and I know how to deal with those illnesses. Okay, thanks, bye!"

applejuice and MamadeRumi like this.
#10 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Exactly. I would be unlikely to call the doctor's office just to say, "Hi, I know there's measles/pertussis/etc. going around in my community, but I'm not worried because my unvaccinated child has a normal immune system, and I know how to deal with those illnesses. Okay, thanks, bye!"

that made me LOL

applejuice likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page