Anybody here whose children have had severe reactions to vaccines? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-16-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I think it's important that people understand that many parents who opt to stop vaccinating do so only AFTER their children have severe reactions. Even more opt not to even start with vaccinations because they personally know these families.  So I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread here where parents can share those experiences, and others can read about them.

I'll start.

My oldest had a seizure reaction to his 2-month vaccines; it start 1 hour after the vaccines were given, and lasted nearly 4 hours.  Diagnosed and documented by pediatrician.  Unfortunately, his nurse (who was fired very soon after this) insisted over the phone that I was an over-reacting, hysterical new mother, that vaccines "don't do that," that I  should put the baby in the crib and walk away until I could calm down.  When I asked why I couldn't just bring the baby in for the doctor to see, that I was sure something was very, very wrong, she told me that they would refuse to see me if I did so.  Since I had never seen a seizure, I didn't know that that's what it was; I had tried to describe the jerking and screeching (HORRIBLE screeches--did not sound human) to her, but she only remarked that he "sounded a little fussy."

He also reacted to his 12-month shots, with severe diarrhea.  After the next vaccine visit, he developed vestibular issues, coordination issues, vision issues, and lost speech and  eye contact. 

My second had a severe skin rash reaction to his 4-month vaccines;  he was covered with a red, oozing, blistering rash that lasted for 8 months, in spite of the fact that he was exclusively breastfed during that time, and that I removed the common allergens from my own diet.  Documented as vaccine reaction by both pediatrician and pediatric dermatologist.

We decided to delay vaccines for our third, and to only give one or two at a time.  But she became unconscious for two days following the vaccines she received at 6 months.  First pediatrician said that it was not a problem. Second pediatrician (partner of the first) disagreed and said that it was a neurological reaction, and worried him enough to stop vaccinating her.  At the same time, he reviewed the records of our other children, and decided to stop vaccinating all of them.

BeckyBird likes this.
#2 of 11 Old 09-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I avoided vaxxing in hospital with my DD - so her first was Hep B at 3 or 4 days old.  Mildly fussy, very low grade fever - "standard" reactions. Although looking back at that point I noticed the fussing began to follow feedings and I eliminated dairy at about 10 wks, took 2 weeks to clear before I noticed much less gas and fuss. Whether or not these dairy problems would have existed without the vax, guess I'll never know. Her ped said it was "unlikely" that dairy was an issue and that I shouldn't have to adjust my diet.

Her 2mo vaxxes (pentacel, pneumo & rotateq) - very lethargic immediately following, slept about 4 hours (very abnormal for her being EBF and normally nursing every 45min to 1.5hrs) initially then had a disrupted sleep schedule for a few months following.  She developed a low grade fever that lasted almost 2 weeks on and off never going above 99, but still a bit high for her.  Sometime between 12-24hrs following she began the screaming....blood curdling, painful, high pitch, gives you goosebumps kind of screams that no amount of rocking, walking, wearing or nursing could completely eliminate since she would still sob while nursing this went on for almost 2 weeks. Developed a full body rash although mostly concentrated on her cheeks (poor kid looks horrible in all my photos from 2-4mos).  Notified ped, agrees it was a "vaccine reaction" but not severe enough to worry her, or postpone anything.

At her 4mo apt she was just getting over a cold so I asked to push her vaxxes back a month to allow her a full recovery.  Went back at 5mos, similar reactions to the 2mo although slightly less intense screams.  Began solids around 6mos and one of her first foods, oats, cause a major reaction (they were GF).  First time was red skin around her lips (she didn't actually swallow much at that point).  Waited 3 or 4 mos, allowed her to eat oats again, this time full body hives, swollen face, low fever - thankfully I love and keep rescue remedy on hand at all times and was able to bring down the reaction in a few doses (we were driving 17hrs from CT to SC).  When I dialed the on-call number for the pediatricians office, the woman on the phone blatantly ignored my specific recall of the onset for the reaction, completely ignored my request for Benadryl use in a child under age 1 if it was to be an emergency and I need to know the dose - just told me DD has a "non-specific viral infection" and to call the office during hours to schedule an appointment.  Jaw hit the ground, still reported it to the pediatrician, she made a note but said it was certainly not an allergy.

Stopped vaxxing at that point because I never really wanted to in the first place, I just never stood my ground until I saw how it affected my daughter.  Once I had the food issues figured out, I took her to an ND to officially *diagnose* them (or to confirm what I knew), found the support I needed to back me in my decision to stop vaxxing, detoxed her from the vaccines that had caused reactions (Hib and DTaP turned out to be the main offenders) and go her on a tight regimen of probiotics and gut support to repair the damage and hopefully restore her health enough to eliminate the reactions all together.  Learned the screams are often an indication of swelling on the brain and after a lousy one yr well visit with the original ped (waited 45 mins for a 5min check and left with both of us sick over xmas!), we haven't been back there again.

All of her reactions were reported by me to VAERS since I didn't get the sense her ped would follow through on that.  She most certainly won't give us a medical exemption even though DD is at a high risk for seizures if we vax again, so we'll be filling religious exemption for school and future kiddos are gonna be unvaxxed.

She still got a very mild rash on her face, but we've upped the probiotics and she's still nursing and will until she weans to boost her immune system. Oh, should add she's 22mos now.

BeckyBird likes this.
#3 of 11 Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Starting in 1983-- to 1987 ; My kids were reacting to their vaccines, and doctors were saying all was fine.

over and over again --My daughter reacted to her fourth DPT vaccine with  Kawasakis, then was revaccinated a few years later, passed out a few minutes later, with 105 temperature.  During puberty there were problems with severe depression and her monthlys -- esp after she received her high school required tetanus shot that turned out to be another DTaP.

Even though she had a lot of problems --   Get this -- she was "THY" top student of her graduating class.  Won the state education award of Top Young Author.    She is now 32 and has severe  bipolar, and probably seizures in her sleep.  She takes Lamitcal for those as well as a mood stabilizer.  IT  is not working very well for a mood stabilizer. She has a good job - she has two degrees one is in nursing . She is unmarried does not date or go out - just to work and home to rest. She spends money like water -- if anything happened to us - she would not be able to keep a roof over her head.

My son reacted to his third DPT shot. within a few hours with  a catatonic episode and when he came out of it he  then started  drooling and jerking of his chin (does that sound like a seizure to you all?  It sure looked like one to me!).   Two months later he had a grand mal seizure and an EEG showed abnormal spikes, so they put him on phenobarbital., even with that -- two more months later, he again had another grand mal seizure. When he reached four years old - an EEG showed normal and they took him off phenobarbital. He started soon after that showing   a lot of signs of seizure activity -absentee seizures, partial and complex seizures, incontinence some times in school. All this  increased in instances and in severity  the closer he came to puberty. He finally developed myoclonic jerks that were so bad that his head would snap backwards so violently he had to grab the wall.  The doctors said constantly that  all was fine again and again.  The neurologist my son's  peds kept sending my son too - finally  told me not to come back again, even after two grand mal seizures. That was when he was 12-13.  We put up with myoclonic jerks and such for another five  years. Finally he had a grandmal so bad at age 17 that he fell - almost broke his neck and did break his nose.  We were under a psych's care and she with me and the school teachers pushing too - all   finally got us to a new neurologist that  told me to not let him sleep and gave him an EEG.  They found it easy and put him  on seizure medicine.

He immediately became the darling of his high school -- His senior year he was awarded "The most improved student".

We had some rough patches in changing his medicine -- we are now on  Levetiracetam- and we went through a 15 carb a day Atkins diet for a while - now we are mostly on low glycemic diet -- we watch the carbs, and no gluten either. He is now 27.  He went to a small community college and got several AA degrees, in electronics, electrical constructions, computer repair and now has a job.  He has had it for 2 months and seems to be doing well.  But he will always be on seizure medication.  He has never has a girl friend, he just works and comes home.  But he mows his grand parent's yard, helps his Father on the farm , knows how to run the farm equipment.  I am happy with them both -- but they have been damaged

No one is going to read this big long thing.  But the CDC and NIH has got away with maiming and in some cases of others ---murder. I am a very small person -- but my desire -- my little insect ant of a fist -- is to bring down two  federal agencies.  Which of course is laughable if I was not busy crying. .

#4 of 11 Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 AM

Did you know that Kawasaki disease is linked to vaccines?  Kawasaki's is a vascular disease.

And not all Kawasaki disease is a  full blown red rash, with high 105 temps for two weeks, but it can also be atypical -- My daughter had full blown Kawasaki and my son had atypical.  Kawasaki's disease may not occur until 8 weeks after a vaccine

Did you know that immediate -- and yet minor (in my book) reactions to vaccines can be passing out, rapid breathing, spiking high fever.

And if that is ignored the next reaction you might see is a temperature spike of a 105,  a child going catatonic, and if you are lucky enough for it to come out of that-- it's chin shakes and it drools, it is very pale and then it goes to sleep.

After these severe reactions to vaccines; you may notice irritability and being angry, or bad mood for no reason - even on happy occasions like picnics in the woods.   You may notice  difficulty in getting them ready just to go to the store, or church.  Temper tantrums that can last a very long time-- 15 minutes and over. They may be slow to talk - saying only a word or two even up to the third or fourth grade.   Fine motor skills like cutting with scissors are just not there. Being able to pedal a tricycle is an impossible task even though it is their heart's desire to do so.

They may exhibit odd behavior - as looking right through you when you talk to them (absentee seizures).

You may find them in the middle of the living room , looking lost, and their hand pulling at the bottom of their shirt in a odd manner, or coming all the way down stairs to find you - flopping down in a chair, with a strange look in their eyes not responding -- and you might notice they are biting their tongue  -- those would be indications of a partial complex seizures.

You might look up some day to see them running into a stool again and again -- as they are trying to find you -finally  falling down - jerking in a rhymic  manner; that would be a  full blown grand mal -- but they have changed the name now - I think it is called a clonic seizure-- maybe it is tonic clonic?  Oh, or they might be playing a video game - suddenly turn it off, jump over the couch, their fist clench up with out your child meaning it too, then  yell, no, no, no only to put their hands down by their side - their body stiffen and they fall hard; breaking their nose - hopefully not their neck and begin to seize in a rhymic way all over.  That tpp would be a grand mal too. They bite their tongues with these too.

Then there are the myoclonic jerks.  They range from mild to severe.   Mild --as in your child is talking to you -and you notice  there is a small jerk - in their eyes only.  There are also , severe -- they may be practicing moves as in some kind of martial arts class, and their head snaps back violently and they have to grab the wall to keep from falling backwards.  Then there is lots of in-betweens - in- volunteer  jerks of the hands, or shoulders and neck.

They might get tired of playing with a shiny new toy, they have wanted for a long time, and disappear for a few minutes, and show back up- telling you they took a long nap and they are surprised it is still daylight.  They lost all track of time. That is some sort of seizure.

You may get a call from the school several times telling you  that they have urinated on themselves, and you have to take clean clothes.  That is a sign of a seizure. OR  maybe no more than a small tinkle - just a spot or two -- but you may notice the smell of urine on their clothes they have taken off.  That is a seizure too.

They may have trouble sleeping at night, night terrors, or wake up anytime they dream - and can recall all their dreams (more than just what we consider normal) that is a sign of seizures in their sleep.

As they get closer to puberty -- all of this stuff becomes more frequent, and more severe. Because it is not just linked to the immune system but to the endocrine system too.

Puberty -- girls become more than just moody - they can become very depressed.  Depressed does not always mean sad and blue -- there are also kinds were  they very angry too.  That is a type of depression.

Mine reacted to their vaccines.  A daughter and a son.  They are now 32 and 27.  Daughter has bipolar - which is a mental illness that not only involves the immune system but the endocrine (pituitary too) .  My son had PDD-NOS -- fancy name for high function autism, and epilepsy.  The epilepsy despite all my best and hardest  efforts went untreated until he was 17 years old.

I don't understand the ignorance of his doctors .

#5 of 11 Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't talk about it much, but everyone in my family seems to not take vaxes very well. I have wrote about it before but in particular, my brother.

He had reactions back in the 70's that at least one really great doctor admitted to vax reactions. The doctor was even willing to help my parents sue.

He was never allowed to get another after age 5.

He became sick at the age of 2 and was never well again. I mean, he ALWAYS had at least a cold, the flu, or just "sick" with throwing up or passing out.

We call it immno- compromised  now but it was terrible watching. I watched him suffer and suffer. He died at 21 because he took something over the counter to stop some pain and another reaction was that he could become allergic to anything overnight. He had an allergic reaction and it killed him. 

I found him. I was 18 and yea.... no vaccines ever for my kids.

My parents were assured that reactions are so RARE so it was ok to vax us. The last Vax I received had me pass out immediately and then I was sick for 2 years. I was terrified my brothers fate was now my own. (the doctor who saw me pass out even wouldn't admit the vax did it!!!!) 

It did take me down a new path of discovery though. Natural remedy's.... food I ate etc. I was able to get myself better and have never looked back. I do believe it effected my fertility, but again found that doctors had no answers for me but NP or others with greater health knowledge healed that too.

I had gone to over 20 doctors, traveled to different states and found their ability to help me at all was nothing. Deny any connection, tell me it was in my head, or I just had to live with it. 

My poor brother might have had a better fate if my parents would have studied more. My mom has watched my journey and still cries over my brother feeling like Pharma killed her son and he might still be here if she would have not trusted them. Making a child sick beyond recovery in order to "maybe" stop a kid from getting sick (but most often still recover fine) eats my poor mom up.

The only people in my family who are healthy are me and my kids. The only difference we can see so far at all is vax status. Our lifestyles are the same at this point.

S

DS-13      

DD-8

DD-2

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

Sun Tzu

#6 of 11 Old 09-17-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

None of my children have been vaxxed. I don't recall any reactions myself but there definitely could be some longterm stuff going on. Hubby on the other hand reacts very badly. He said he felt like he was going to die after the last one. He was also very sick as a child and we believe it was due to the DPT. He had convulsions for years and was put on all sorts of medications which also have had longterm effects. He also said he would spend many nights coughing. Lots of other stuff I am not remembering but it all lined up with the kind of reactions described in A Shot in the Dark. 

We also just found out that his uncle had an anaphylactic reaction to the tetanus vaxx.

We also have one child with a blood-confirmed latex allergy which makes all vaxxes using it in their vials contraindicated for her.

#7 of 11 Old 09-18-2013, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)

:grouphug

I hope many of you know that stories such as these do humanise vaccine reactions and have some influence - even if it is just the kick in the pants to start researching!  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#8 of 11 Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

:grouphug

I hope many of you know that stories such as these do humanise vaccine reactions and have some influence - even if it is just the kick in the pants to start researching!  

Yes! It's because of parents' stories that I started researching before I had kids. I decided to not vaccinate, even though I had no idea at the time that they would most likely be extra susceptible to vaccine injury. I just thought they'd have the average risk, which even that wasn't acceptable to me. Now I know that they would most likely be on the autism spectrum or injured in some other way had I vaccinated. Parents don't know enough about their children when they are babies to know if it's safe to start vaccinating! And of course doctors don't do any screening tests beforehand.

#9 of 11 Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Hi I am new to this board because I was previously on the bump and seriously couldnt take "mainstream" parenting anymore and being ridiculed for planning to not VAX this baby (currently 5 months along with my second) My DD has never tolerated vaccines well but the worst reaction was to her MMR-VAricella vaccine. She ended up with Measles, Rubella, and Chicken Pox with a fever and was deemed contagious by even her pediatrician who still insisted I shouldnt worry about the safety of vaccines. The excuse given to me by my husbands uncle (he works for the health department or some other goverment run crony agency hawking vaccine safety) was that vaccines are a learning curve and we learn more all the time... They can use themselves or someone else's children as a petri dish not mine. He says I am cruel to possibly let this child get natural occurring chicken pox because then he could get shingles. I countered with my dd was vaccinated and got chicken pox so she can get shingles so her risk is now no different! He shut up we now don't speak its really not a loss in my opinion. I have often though my dd's reaction was bad but thank you ladies for reaffirming my decision that these "vaccines" are in fact dangerous to many other children

BeckyBird likes this.
#10 of 11 Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 AM

Welcome!

I am glad your daughter is all right! My kids have all had chicken pox, measles (perhaps mumps) and not sure on rubella naturally from...... recently vaxed kids. In different states and years apart. Yet, my kids fought it off fast and easy.  I plan on getting titers done later on in life for them.

You are not alone :-)

S

DS-13      

DD-8

DD-2

Sun Tzu

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

Sun Tzu

#11 of 11 Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 AM

Here is the link to my SIL baby reaction:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1371536/possible-vaccine-reation#post_17224523

Update that without vaxes she was doing great, stopped the screaming etc. At 9 months they gave the Dtap and screaming started for 2 weeks. It was at least enough that for now she won't give more. She still eats a very restrictive diet as she has Crohns but has put some things back in her diet without problem and so far she baby girl is eating food alright. Her rash hasn't totally gone away, but it isn't eczema.... so will see. She still won't go see a ND.

The hospitals found "nothing" wrong with her and of course there is no such thing as vax reactions because they happen at 1/1,000,000 which equals 10 kids a year in the entire USA! These reaction's are so "rare" most doctors never see one their entire career. (there words)

S

DS-13  

DD-8

DD-2

Sun Tzu

BeckyBird likes this.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

Sun Tzu

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page