best use of time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

Do those of you who choose to advocate a non-vax position online (for whatever reason) consider MDC a good medium to do so?

The pool of people who discuss things on the debate forum is pretty small.  I don't know how many lurkers there are, but I imagine they are a fairly small, consistent group as well.

I don't think this is best medium to get out any messages about not vaccinating.

I can think of 2 other mediums:

1.  blogs  (may be a lot of work, but writing thoughtful posts may be more useful and meaningful than engaging in debate with same people over an over again)

2.  other forums - particularly more mainstream ones.  I have been a bit more active on a more mainstream mommy-board lately, and the ignorance is astounding !  They do not know exemptions exist, they do not know what people vaccinate for (smallpox, anyone?)  etc.  Sadly, I tend to think those whoa re ignorant often want to stay ignorant - it is easier than perhaps confronting the fact you made a decision for your children without all the information

I also occasionally think that maybe I should just give up debating vaccines.  Most people either have the info they need, or are not open to considering things that question the decisions they made, so what is the point?  Really, we are all adults - and if they are not ignorant on vaccines (no matter what decision they come to) then good for them.  If they are ignorant - well that is on them.  There certainly is a plethora of info available for people….

If I lived in a place where parental choice around vaccines was threatened, that is where I would put my energies.  Thankfully, I live in a fairly easy-going place where vaccines are concerned.  

So - phew - sorry for the book!

Do you think MDC is a good use of your time in terms of vaccine advocacy?  if yes - why?  If not - where do you think would be?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm not here to advocate a position, exactly- more to discuss and understand, from a social perspective, an issue that I don't discuss with people IRL. But I do feel like MDC is a poor forum for that, because the only open discussion sub forum has been offensively entitled "debate". I think that while debate can be an acceptable byproduct of discussion and should be allowed, to post something with the express intention of challenging others to debate requires a specific mindset that I just don't see very often in the vax skeptic posters here. I think that some aspects of the reformatting are positive, but this particular one will probably cause much of the discussion to dry up. And I would venture to guess that this is intentional, as there is probably a good deal of pressure on sites such as this to discourage hosting such a controversial topic.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Debate is a weird forum - and has gotten weirder, lately.

I think many people, see the word debate and take a "pro" or "con" position - they never concede a point,  use stats that back up their POV, as opposed to the range of stats that may more accurately reflect the reality. etc..

The goal is on "winning" the argument rather than sharing information to help people and it gets old.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In general, I don't think the debate forum is the best use of time.

The very first step, I think, is to inform parents that they have a choice! It's hard to understand how so many people could believe vaccines are absolutely mandatory, but that's the reality. So that's the number one most important thing, is to tell parents that they do have a choice, and tell them how to do it. Whether it's refusing the hepatitis B vaccine at the hospital, to "Just Say No" at the doctor's office, to giving them the specific forms or instructions to comply with their state's vaccine exemption law for school.

Once parents understand that it is possible to refuse some or all vaccines, that's the time to give simple, yet perhaps shocking information about them. Information that cannot be disputed, such as from the package inserts or the CDC's website. And also to calm their fears of the diseases, whether it's information about their rarity, or how they can easily be treated.

All of the above is most needed on more mainstream forums and sites. But I do check on MDC to see if there are specific questions I can help with. And I also post things because I enjoy it. I would post more on the debate board if I enjoyed it. But I wouldn't expect it to necessarily be of much help.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I hope that doesn't mean you won't be active here at all, kathy.  Yours is one of the most balanced voices, and the one I look forward to reading the most!  :flowersforyou 

(WWKS?? "What Would Kathy Say??") :p

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 09-19-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I hope that doesn't mean you won't be active here at all, kathy.  Yours is one of the most balanced voices, and the one I look forward to reading the most!  :flowersforyou 

(WWKS?? "What Would Kathy Say??") :p

:love

Thank you.

I will be active here. I do, overall, like posting here or I would not do it. 

Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

De-lurking to say that I gain a lot from reading these threads.  My oldest two are fully vaxed for their ages, but I have learned a lot in the past five years, and may be making different decisions with my youngest.  

Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I think that in any forum, it can be a good use of time.

More people pass through MDC who never post, but yet looking at the arguments can make them think.

Am I planning on changing the minds of those who do debate in the debate forum... no.

I like posting here and I looked for over a year before I ever said anything or even joined. I was amazed at how much I could still enjoy listening to others talk about what they know, send me on new paths to learn more etc. I personally consider anything I learn -never a waste of time. It can help me sort out how I feel more and more, help me ask different questions.... all of that will never be a waste of time. I also don't consider it a waste of time of all the other moms who are learning or even taking the time to post a waste. If it helps you, or someone else (just one person counts in my book) Not a waste of time.

As for helping more moms choose this path.... I don't want to go chasing them. I am of the mind that if they want to learn or walk this way, THEY will be seeking me or whomever and then I want to help. A personal blog may or may not help them... not sure. MDC is a big enough voice so that if I was asking questions.... I could come see a lot of women who are picking my questions... it helps to not feel so alone and that others have even made the decisions I have made as well. That can Never in my mind be a waste of time. We are always learning and growing.... :)

S

DS-13      

DD-8

DD-2

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

Old 09-22-2013, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I don't participate much because I get too emotionally invested. Occasionally I will pop in with a comment. There are one or two oft repeated factual errors which annoy me enough that I have to say something.

I read a fair bit though. I guess I am one of the regular lurkers.

I may also be in the majority here but my stance changed from being 100% dyed-in-the-wool pro-vax to being a non-vaxxer ( although not anti-vax and i think we will ultimately be selective/delayed) after joining MDC. My DH and I are both ED nurses and I have done two vaccine provider courses. I started digging deeper to debunk some of the information i read on here... And discovered a lot of things I didn't know. So, it may not happen very often but it definitely does happen :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssun5 View Post

I like posting here and I looked for over a year before I ever said anything or even joined. I was amazed at how much I could still enjoy listening to others talk about what they know, send me on new paths to learn more etc. I personally consider anything I learn -never a waste of time. It can help me sort out how I feel more and more, help me ask different questions.... all of that will never be a waste of time.

This is true.  On a personal level, I do not get a lot of academic stimulation in my personal life.  I can get that here, when the thread is good and does not dissolve into stereotypes or mud slinging.  

Old 09-23-2013, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I'm not much for debate, take things too often as personal attacks and lose my ability to think straight.  I'm not even sure how long I've been on here, 3 years maybe? And just now lurking into the debate side when things over here get quiet and I'm looking for something to read, but rarely do I have anything good to input so I stick with reading and liking posts.  I do however come here mainly because I *fit in* and can get support for my decisions which doesn't happen IRL.  Too many mainstream, health professional friends that just don't "get" me and what I do.  Thankfully a good friend is newly preggers and I'm beyond thrilled to have a live body to talk to about this stuff as she's very much pro-informed consent and currently falling around the select/delayed area of things but who knows how that may change.  I do like to post good links for quick reads or short videos on my FB for people to see that they do have a choice, and occasionally someone might share a post and who knows where it goes from there, but I hope enough people see these things and it becomes regular and less "crazy conspiracy theory".

Old 10-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to add another voice to the "lurkers who appreciate your posts" group. I'm glad that you spend your time here.

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List