Anyone decline hep b shot at NH hospital? Elliot hospital, to be specific?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pregnant and planning to have a non medicated water birth at Elliot hospital... Looking to decline the hep b shot but fearful the staff will try to give me a hard time or give it to dd behind my back.... Anyone have experience at this hospital when declining hep b?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Can't speak for the specific hospital or state, but they can't vax, or do any procedure behind your back if you room in with baby, and if any trips to the nursery are necessary, you or a SO just has to accompany the baby.  We declined everything - vit k, hep b, eye ointment, even a bath with hospital provided products.  DD slept on us in the room, and when it was time for weight checks, we went with her into the nursery.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM

We just had a baby at Monadnock Community Hospital in Peterborough and didn't have any problems declining anything.  The only thing we went through with was the PKU at 48 hours and an attempt at a hearing screen. Talk to the nurses during your walk through and ask them what the protocol is and how ornery they get if you decline things, the nurses usually know more about that than anybody.  

Good luck :)

Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 PM

I work as a nurse at CMC and we frequently have moms defer to pedi on the hepB. In fact when offering it to my patients I always make it an option. I tell them "most parents opt to get it but you are welcome to differ to pediatrician too"
Old 11-24-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
... welcome to differ to pediatrician too..."

"defer"?

To the OP, I strongly suggest that you have a homebirth if you do not want a hassle with the newborn Hepatitis B vaccine. Why would you put yourself in a situation that is likely to be marred by the luck of the draw with the nursing schedule, and lucky you get the nurse who has a militant attitude toward protocols? A midwife at home is much less likely to bully a new mother into any unwanted or questionable physical procedure. Think about it. Have you ever been on an athetic team? A woman has the homecourt advantage at home.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 11-24-2013, 05:14 PM

Sorry, yes I just typed from my phone. Defer.  As in, no one at the hospital (at least around Manch here) would really care either way if you vaccinate your baby. We aren't the vaccine police, we're just young women like you who have babies at home and have a job they love.  Most people in L+D and neonatology got here because we love what we do.

The vaccine isn't "due" at birth, it's OFFERED at birth.  If you check the cdc guidelines, its due at 2 mo 4 mo 6mo . If you get it at birth they typically skip that 4mo one, I believe.  Either way, please don't feel stress about that!  And you will have many different nurses, so if you by chance have a nurse you don't see eye to eye with, tell her you're tired and will probably just chat with your hubby and let the next shift know.  Then, tell the next shift you're a no to hep B. hahah.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:36 PM

Is Elliot hospital on the honor roll? http://www.immunize.org/express/issue1082.asp#IACX1

If the vaccine is not "due" at birth, only offered as per the CDC guidelines, and the L+D nurses are not the vaccine police, then why did this woman and her husband lose custody of her newborn daughter when she questioned the need for the vaccine at birth?  I think someone wanted to teach this little lady a lesson.

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2012/12/newborn-taken-from-parents-who-refuse-hepatitis-b-vaccine-and-ask-too-many-questions.html
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/mother-who-questions-vax-at-hospital-has-newborn-taken-away/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2864915/posts

And even after you get out of the newborn stage and you have made up your mind about vaccines, pro/con/selective, just getting a second opinion regarding any healthcare concern can get your baby taken away from you, the parents.  I am sure the CPS workers in both of these cases also went into this field because they love it too, but the parents do not deserve to be bullied and harrassed and denied their own child in the process.  
This case is still not settled, and the baby is over a year old; the surgery was done months ago.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/cps-takes-baby-after-parents-seek-second-medical-opinion/

Please be on your guard and do not let your baby out of your sight.

Editted to add that you may enjoy this discussion:http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1391532/immunization-action-coalition-forced-hep-b-vaccination/0_100#post_17488497

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I do not know about your hospital or state but I just said with my kids I'm not doing the hep b right now! They never said anything to me after and just had me sign a waver. I think they just assumed I would get it at a well visit but I didn't say otherwise. One nurse even said she didn't think they needed right at birth.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM

And apple juice I gave tons of friends who do not vaccinate and have hospital births and it's never a problem! Let's not put fear in the poor girl. We should never make decisions based on fear!!!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post

And apple juice I gave tons of friends who do not vaccinate and have hospital births and it's never a problem! Let's not put fear in the poor girl. We should never make decisions based on fear!!!

Of course not.  Which is all the more reason doctors and nurses should stop playing the sick, dead baby card when parents ask specific, cogent, intelligent questions about why a treatment is necessary and what is being done to their child and what to expect afterwards instead of being frightened into something that they do not want or are not at all sure of.

Quote:
 One nurse even said she didn't think they needed right at birth.

One nurse.  All it takes is one nurse, one doctor, one social worker with a crusader mentality to change your life forever.

Why don't you read the links I posted and respond? You would rather attack the messenger, I get it.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 AM

I read it and not denying it happened! But I also don't believe that we should let fear rule our decisions. This kind of thing does not happen all the time. It is apparent you are looking for an argument or debate. She asked for others personal experiences not someone you read about on the internet.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 AM

The reason my personal experience does not include being harassed by hospital nurses, doctors, and social workers is because I had my babies at home.
This was a decision not made out of fear but out of concern for my baby and family's safety. 
I highly recommend it.
The incidents I related in my links DO happen quite frequently, but most parents are embarassed and reluctant to discuss the situation.
New Hampshire has a longer tradition of midwifery care and home births than other states; parts of my family live there. I know that it is do-able.

There are threads here on MDC that are several pages long with 300+ posts entitled "Dumb things my - ob/gyn, nurse, dentist, pediatrician - told me".  Most of them are of a healthcare provider exaggerating risks of not agreeing to the procedure or downplaying the risk of the procedure. I do not think people make these things up.

If you are saying I should butt out of the discussion just because I did NOT deliver at Eliot or Monadnock or CMC or in NH or just because I do NOT have a positive experience to relate, you are wrong. That dead baby card is played everyday in every hospital across the world, and just because you and your tons of friends do not recognize it, does not mean it does not happen, and this protocol leads to plenty of decisions made in lieu of ignorance and fear and later, regret. According to Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, MD, a dues paying member of the AMA and practicing pediatrician for 40 yrs., everyone should treat a sojourn to the hospital as a war; get in, get out quickly and take lots of backup.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:20 AM

You are taking everything I say and twisting it! I think you are looking for an argument and I'm not going to give it to you...

Old 11-25-2013, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:

There's a difference between being afraid and being prepared. The OP should know what to do in the event of a worst-case scenario.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 AM

I understand that hospitals often give you a hard time and yes you should always be prepared and educated ! She asked for personal experiences and is being told her baby could be taken away.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 PM

Because she declines a shot?

Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think it's anywhere near the norm for babies to get taken away for declining hep B. Depending on where the OP lives, I think she will be just fine declining it and making sure she or her SO is with the baby at all times. Hep B gets declined a lot.

OP, make sure you write it in your birth plan. Are you planning on touring the birth center? You can get a feel for the general attitude of the place at that time.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 11-28-2013, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughkona View Post

Mothers, please use your common sense when considering posts on here, and I am happy to share my real experiences, especially in the NH area, as the OP wanted to know. applejuice ,further negative posts will be reported.  they are uncalled for.

I think mothers should use common sense when reading any post on any forum on MDC.  I am not sure if you were intending to single out INV for this advice or not.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 11-29-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Applejuice, you are being so negative and cutting others down.  Please keep the posts positive and kind.  Pointing out spelling errors is just plain rude, and you've done it to several posters at this point.  Your article about a woman having her child taken away for not vaccinating makes NO SENSE.  I am completely denying it ever happened, unlike the kind previous poster. I have worked at 8 hospitals in 3 states and people OFTEN do not give hep B, or vit K shot for that matter.  It is not a big deal!

In fact, on most NICUs we accommodate parents who do the following and have not had their children taken away:

- positive for multisubstances

- admit to and test positive for marijuana

- abusive relationships, including on the unit

- under the influence on the unit

- overdose on the unit bathroom

- drop their baby in a methadone haze, resulting in a brain bleed and skull fracture.

The things I have seen go on would make your heart hurt.  Mothers out there have REAL issues going on and do not have their children "taken away".  It is very hard to have custody removed, and a very lengthy court process.  Not vaccinating is the least of the hospitals staff concerns.  I have never heard of a Hep B report card at any of the hospitals I've worked for, which means that they do not push it on us nurses to encourage the shot be given.

Mothers, please use your common sense when considering posts on here, and I am happy to share my real experiences, especially in the NH area, as the OP wanted to know. applejuice ,further negative posts will be reported.  they are uncalled for.

you were there? Im not suggesting things like this happen OFTEN or are the norm by any stretch, but they DO happen and hospital staff do threaten taking away the baby and use fear and cooercion to get parents to do what they want, and to flat out deny that things like this happen (aren't you basically calling this couple liars) just because you personally have never seen it happen in the 8 hospitals you have worked at is kind of balsy frankly. A similar situation happened to a friend of mine years ago so it does happen.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Don't believe everything you read on the internet though! There was just a story about how a lesbian waitress received a note about not getting a tip bc the people wrote on her receipt that they didn't agree with her lifestyle! Then the couple recognized the receipt amount and restaurant and came out with there receipt and bank statement and showed they did tip! So the whole thing was a lie! And I'm not saying that the parents are lying it not but the story could be fake. There is too many weird things that don't add up!
The point is you don't think stories float around to scare people into vaccinating?

Old 11-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
And I'm not saying that the parents are lying it not but the story could be fake.

Assuming we are talking about the case in Pennsylvania, they were taken to court. You can see some of the documents right here...

http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/2012/order_denying_motion_to_dismiss.pdf

OP, we had no problems with no Hep B vax with our planned hospital birth last year. But we had read about this case and chose to take with me to the hospital both a note from our family doctor stating that we were not vaxxing and the lab results showing me to be Hep B negative. But they were never needed.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet though! There was just a story about how a lesbian waitress received a note about not getting a tip bc the people wrote on her receipt that they didn't agree with her lifestyle! Then the couple recognized the receipt amount and restaurant and came out with there receipt and bank statement and showed they did tip! So the whole thing was a lie! And I'm not saying that the parents are lying it not but the story could be fake. There is too many weird things that don't add up!
The point is you don't think stories float around to scare people into vaccinating?

No it's real.....

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/pennsylvania/pamdce/1:2012cv00442/88588

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Applejuice, you are being so negative and cutting others down....

In fact, on most NICUs we accommodate parents who do the following and have not had their children taken away:

- positive for multisubstances

- admit to and test positive for marijuana

- abusive relationships, including on the unit

- under the influence on the unit

- overdose on the unit bathroom

- drop their baby in a methadone haze, resulting in a brain bleed and skull fracture.

Are you comparing your hospital's accommodation of educated parents who do thoughtful research, make careful decisions for their children's health, and refuse medical routines and protocol with your hospital's accommodation of parents who are substance abusers, addicts, and in abusive, dysfunctional relationships?  You may not know this, but those are two different kinds of parents. A veiled attitude toward the general public is rather revealing here.

As an educated, health-conscious parent and lifelong nonvaxer but never-been-a substance abuser, that statement and comparison are extremely rude, negative, and hostile!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 AM

I think she was just saying that the hospital staff and CPS normally have bigger fish to fry than giving someone who denies hep b a problem. I am a non-vaxxer and I didn't think at all that she was comparing me with substance abusers or other parents with serious issues.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 12-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Hi,

Im not sure if I am too late but I gave birth at the Elliot on 9/7/2013 and declined all vaccinations for myself and my daughter.  No one gave me a hard time.  I was asked a few times by different people but they all respected my decision.  I did have to sign a form during discharge stating I declined vaccines but it was no big deal.  I was not pressured or questioned about my decision either.  Best of luck on your birth!!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 PM

My first 2 children have been fully vaccinated (even received the hep b at birth) mainly because I never bothered to question it. It's what everyone does right? But now, I am a little more informed on the topic and I am currently 4 months pregnant with my 3rd. I can say for sure that my child will NOT be receiving the hep b shot at birth and will not be getting the shot anytime soon for that matter. It is one of the vaccines that I am considering skipping altogether or at least until the child is older.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00MrsRadec00 View Post

My first 2 children have been fully vaccinated (even received the hep b at birth) mainly because I never bothered to question it. It's what everyone does right? But now, I am a little more informed on the topic and I am currently 4 months pregnant with my 3rd. I can say for sure that my child will NOT be receiving the hep b shot at birth and will not be getting the shot anytime soon for that matter. It is one of the vaccines that I am considering skipping altogether or at least until the child is older.
I would highly suggest skipping this one all together hep b is transferred through sex and drug use so there is no need for a child to receive it unless the mother has it( which I'm still not even sure they need it in this case I would have to research this more) just a thought but as always make the decision that makes YOU feel the most comfortable because you are the mama smile.gif

Old 12-16-2013, 11:14 PM

Birth is just the beginning of your decision making and struggle for respect as a parent; prepare for 18-25 yrs of struggle.

From the West Coast, http://www.news10.net/news/article/242734/2/Sacramento-couple-fights-to-get-their-baby-boy-back-from-authorities
... to the Midwest, http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/amish-girl-hiding-avoid-forced-cancer-treatment-article-1.1533048

... to the East Coast, http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/12/15/justina/vnwzbbNdiodSD7WDTh6xZI/story.html

parents are harassed to comply with medical decisions or the child will receive a judicial parent-ectomy.

The Amish case is closed, but the other cases are still in the family court system.

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List