Decline hep b still do vit k shot? Thoughts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone decline hep b at birth but still do the vit k shot (NOT the oral drops, but the shot itself)? What made u decide to still do the vit k? did ur lo have any reaction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Yes. We did Vit K but not Hep B with both our girls. One is 3y3mo, the other is 10mo. I'm not aware of either of them having any adverse effects.

We chose not to get Hep B because we did not feel that either girl was at high risk of coming in contact with the virus in her early years. We also had some concerns about possible adverse effects.

We also felt that the potential benefits of Vit K outweighed the risks. It isn't a vaccine so we do not have the same concerns as we do about vaccines. We felt that the possible risks were low enough for our comfort levels.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 09-21-2013, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Neither of my babies got the hepatitis B vaccine or the vitamin K shot. I didn't even do the oral vitamin K. I gave birth at home and delayed clamping the cord for both babies. Nature does not intend for newborns to have adult levels of vitamin K. Nature wouldn't make a mistake with every infant on the planet. I always knew there must be a good reason for lower vitamin K in newborns, but I didn't know what it was until recently. This article discusses a very good theory. http://beyondconformity.co.nz/hilarys-desk/breastmilk_stem_cells

Of course, modern medicine has really messed up the natural birth process, and traumatic births and immediate cord clamping have made the vitamin K shot necessary for some babies. I wonder if even just pitocin increases the risk of hemorrhagic disease of the newborn (what the vitamin K shot is meant to prevent), because pitocin causes violent contractions.

The article I linked to above discusses how the vitamin K shot interferes with stem cells in the baby. But babies are denied a lot of those stem cells when the cord is clamped right away. You should insist on delayed clamping of the cord, and here is an in depth article about that. 

http://beyondconformity.co.nz/BlogRetrieve.aspx?PostID=304708&A=SearchResult&SearchID=5368293&ObjectID=304708&ObjectType=55 

This has even become mainstream medical knowledge. It was recently all over mainstream news sources, including the New York Times. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/11/health/study-endorses-later-severing-of-umbilical-cord.html?_r=0 

But doctors are slow to change their habits, so make sure your wishes are known, remembered, and followed).

Old 09-21-2013, 02:54 AM

I had a long labor with my first who was posterior. I ended up being given pitocin after I "stalled" at 8cm for 8 hours. Then I had a 2+ hour pushing stage, and she emerged with a squished nose and some mild bruising around her eyes. We didn't do delayed cord clamping, because I'd not really heard of it. We declined the Help B but got the vitK.

My second birth was completely unmedicated, despite being a hospital birth. The whole thing was over in 6 hours, and just 3 hours after arriving at the hospital. 45 minutes of pushing, we delayed cord clamping, and I did NOT get a pitocin shot to help with placenta extraction/expulsion. No HepB or vitK. The nurses were very uneasy about the fact that I declined both post-delivery pitocin for myself and vitK for my little one. Very, very uneasy.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

Old 09-21-2013, 05:18 AM

I am declining HepB & post delivery Pit (unless indicated) but I am getting the VitaminK, which is *not* a Vax & even Dr. Mercola says the hypothosized link with Leukemia is not a thing.

It is partially to appease the hospital, partially b/c my BFF's baby girl did develop HDN after 5 births where she declined Vitamin K AND Circ'ed (on day 8) with no bleeding issues.

I did not get it with my second & with my first I had no choice whatsoever (b/c he needed IVs)
Old 09-21-2013, 06:34 AM

I declined hepB but accepted vit k for both my 2yo DS and my newborn DS. I knew hepB was a very low risk, so the risks of the vax (esp to a newborn) outweighed the benefits, IMO. Vit k I have always been on the fence about. I tend to think it is probably an unnecessary intervention in most normal births, and that by giving the amout we give we're screwing with something we really don't understand. That said, what you're trying to prevent with it is pretty scary. I remain undecided, but have defaulted to the norm of giving it because it's been so highly recommended by providers I trust. Shrug.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Old 09-21-2013, 07:03 AM

My last 2 were HB and i never went in for the Hep shots but got Vit K shot for both.  Basically yes the odds are WAY in my favor -  but the risk of developing internal bleeding because of a bruise - i found insanely scary.   I also have a scary anecdote that i will not share because it IS just a story - unverifiable ..... but neither baby had any sort of reaction to the shot

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Old 09-21-2013, 07:00 PM

I did not do hep b and did the vit k, but only bc the birth ended up being pretty traumatic with vacuum extraction and no delayed clamping due to circumstances, contrary to my plan. My plan was to do oral vit k unless there was trauma. I'm still on the fence a bit about whether it should be given at all, but felt the oral was a good compromise.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

No hep b, vit k, or eye drops here.  Did pit with NO pain meds, 25 hr labor, almost 3 was hard pushing, she came out with a super short cord (barely reached my breast) and purple from pushing, delayed cutting - no issues at all.  Agree with Ma2two on the adult levels of vit k in newborns, really don't think it's a good idea.  I mean realistically, they should be looking at more appropriate levels rather than bombarding babies systems.  And yes, pit creates nasty contractions, but even so, we had no issues as a result.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Chknlovr are you a non-vaxer here to support other non-vaxers? From your other posts in the debate forum it appears not.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 09-22-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

This is not about vaccination.  This is about Vitamin K.  

Excellent ad hominem attack.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
This is a support-only forum for those not or those seriously considering not vaccinating. Here we host discussion of issues that arise when choosing to not vaccinate and sharing of resources and information that are related to the no-vax decision. Members who are vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. 

http://www.mothering.com/community/a/vaccination-forum-guidelines

Old 09-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

We have not done vit k yet, but I am open to it if the baby shows signs of bruising, hard birth, etc... the bleeding on the brain thing is pretty scary. I reread a bunch of stuff before my last birth and still felt okay not doing it, but I might possibly do the oral if we have another one.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hmm, I just read over all of my posts, all whopping 18 of them, and I'm not sure what I've written that is "pro-vax".  I don't even have kids yet.  I'm just in the planning stage.  I guess that means I'm "unaffiliated."

I'm new to this site, and I was unaware that some sort of oath of allegiance had to be taken to a particular faction in order to post.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:16 PM

OP, we never did HepB, eye goop nor vitamin K as shot. We always opted for oral vitamin K. I'm European and oral K is the norm. I discussed it at length with my PhD MD sister who does pharma research, I'd say she knows plenty about that. She never batted an eye when both her kids received the standard treatment of 3 oral vitamin K drops, called Konakion. I found oral vitamin K at birthwithlove.com and followed the German protocol with my DS (birth, 6 days and 6 weeks) and the Dutch one for my DD (birth, then one drop weekly). DS was a nuchal hand, DD had no bruising. I put the drop in their mouths right before nursing. It was taste and odorless.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:05 PM

We have never given our babies Hep B.  We did Vit K for first 6 babies, and the last one #7 we declined Vit K as well. All of our babies had jaundice except for #7 (the one that didn't get Vit K). Coincidence? We think not. My hubby did his research before I gave birth and he found that Vitamin K shot increases jaundice in babies. I believe Dr Mercola had a great article on this.  Unless you have some blood clotting disorder I don't know why every baby should get this. As far as circumcision goes (non-circ. people don't get excited :)), you probably do it because of religious reasons; it's commanded to do it on 8th day, which science has proven that is when our levels of Vit K are the highest ever in our life.  Coincidence? I think not! ;)  Wish we would have known this before because they gave us such a hard time about the jaundice. We have signed out AMA (against medical advice) because they were trying to keep us due to the jaundice (which wasn't even that bad). Not to mention one Nurse Practitioner even threatened to call HRS on us. :rotflmao Easier to decline the shot than deal with the jaundice issue!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 AM

I did not get her b but did get vit k bc during my research I found something about premature babies and vit k and decoded if my baby was early I would do the vit k but if on time or late I wouldn't. Well, she was early....and after 2 days was admitted to nicu so I don't regret it. I don't have this research of premies needing vit k but it might have been on the dr. Mercola website. I have terrible mom brain and can't remember anything!

Also there is conversation about the amt of vit k given. I gave birth in china and remember the dr telling me the amt that would be given if I wanted it and I researched that it wasn't an adult level. Again, I can't remember how much! I'll try to find that info I wrote it somewhere. I don't know if such a thing is available where you are.

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List