Adult non vaccinating issue - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved from Michigan to Missouri and I was offered a job at the large University Hospital as a part time clerk. I went today to fill out my paperwork and then needed to declin the position. I am a 41 year old adult who has never received immunizations. I was told they would not accept any religious waivers for the MMR and that the Flu shot is mandatory, no exceptions.

I was surprised that they would not accept a Religious waiver. Has any other adult have this happen? I feel like I am very knowledgable in the subject of immunizations and have 3 children who are not immunized.....I have always stood my ground with my beliefs for them. This just took me by surprise....just wondered if anyone else has a similar story?
cynthia mosher and applejuice like this.
#2 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't have a similar story, but I'm very sorry that happened to you. Did the position involve any contact with patients? If not, they had no right to insist on vaccines.

#3 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

I would have been working behind a desk putting in patient info given to me from the doctors and nurses.
#4 of 12 Old 09-25-2013, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

My MIL does paperwork at a hospital, zero patient contact, and really no doctor/nurse contact either, yet if she refuses the flu shot for any reason they will fire her.  She's ok with vaccines so it's not an issue for her, but I think it's absurd

#5 of 12 Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

I don't have a similar story, but I'm very sorry that happened to you. Did the position involve any contact with patients? If not, they had no right to insist on vaccines.

There is no good reason to insist on vaccines even if you were to have contact with patients.m according to the Cochrane Review (the gold standard of mainstream medical review), there is no evidence that vaccinating health care workers for flu offers any benefit to patients.

The health care industry is in bed with the pharmaceutical industry; THAT'S why they require the flu shot.

There may be some vaccines that have value. The flu shot is not one of them.
#6 of 12 Old 09-26-2013, 02:28 PM

My mom is a nurse and was told that if she didn't get the flu shot (which she didn't want) she would have to wear a mask at all times during flu season.  My husband is an orthopaedic sales rep and is in the OR.  All reps must now be vaccinated, sign a waiver or test for immunity.  If not they are denied access which means no business $$$.  They should have given you some other options like these. They may not want to deal with it with new hires.  You may want to check laws in your state and see if they have any legal right to deny you employment. I think that's ridiculous! 

#7 of 12 Old 10-07-2013, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I suppose you can do titers for MMR to prove that you're immune.

Flu vaccine is mandatory in many  states. CDC recommends it and in general hospital follow CDC. Hospitals also want to reduce absenteeism amongst HCPs. I worked as unit clerk.  There is contact. Patients come to the desk. Nurses hand you papers etc.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/mandatory_flu_vaccination/faq.html

Employers have all sort of rules. At some jobs one has to wear steeltoe shoes, or not facial hair etc.

#8 of 12 Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

I suppose you can do titers for MMR to prove that you're immune.

Flu vaccine is mandatory in many  states. CDC recommends it and in general hospital follow CDC. Hospitals also want to reduce absenteeism amongst HCPs. I worked as unit clerk.  There is contact. Patients come to the desk. Nurses hand you papers etc.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/mandatory_flu_vaccination/faq.html

Employers have all sort of rules. At some jobs one has to wear steeltoe shoes, or not facial hair etc.

too bad  it doesn't acomplish this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 12 Old 10-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Ok not having facial hair is far different than requiring a vaccine.  My husbands a firefighter and if he has facial hair it would compromise the fit and seal of the SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus) mask on his face.  Not only could this put him in harms way, but if he was to say pass out from smoke inhalation and someone had to then rescue him that puts others at risk as well because they have to focus on him and not search for potential trapped persons.  Not being vaccinated makes no difference in potential for transmission - vaxxed or not, some people will get sick and miss work, some people will pass along diseases for which they show no symptoms.  Forcing vaccinations on workers is ridiculous and they should at least cite better, non-discredited reasons, for doing so.

#10 of 12 Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 PM

I'm glad you stood your ground. 

#11 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Just a reminder to everyone posting to this thread - this is the I'm Not Vaccinating forum, which is a support forum for people who have chosen to not vaccinate. As such, to post in this forum you should be a person not vaccinating or someone who is considering not vaccinating. 

INV members, please continue with the discussion. :) 

#12 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Sadly, some hospitals and medical facilities do mandate certain vaccines. I worked for the VA which does not mandate them, but does push the flu vax. Most of the nurses and doctors declined it. They did try to push it on admin staff as well, and most of us declined. It was interesting because some of the staff who were promoting/pushing the flu vaccine straight out LIED about it; they said it was required, and then when they were called on that (lots of smart and informed staff at that place!), they said "well, it's not mandatory but if you don't get it then you have to wear a mask all season", then, when asked to show us that policy, they said they'd get back to us. Yeah. Never happened lol.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page