Q: Are Vaccines Linked to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

A: Stop scaring people. The autism-mmr connection was debunked. Wakefield is a fraud.

Paraphrased but seriously, someone on fb just gave that as a response to this article... http://www.cheeseslave.com/are-vaccines-linked-to-sudden-infant-death-syndrome-sids/ ... which ya know, as it turns out, says absolutely nothing about autism.

I guess they think if they repeat the mantra often enough, we will change our minds. :eyesroll

But seriously, anyone have any studies on the SIDS-DTAP/DPT link?

Not SIDS related but the number of death claims from the old whole-cell pertussis vax was far higher than all other vaxxes combined and the newer one still ranks highest...

http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/statisticsreports.html#Claims

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

A: Stop scaring people. The autism-mmr connection was debunked. Wakefield is a fraud.

Paraphrased but seriously, someone on fb just gave that as a response to this article... http://www.cheeseslave.com/are-vaccines-linked-to-sudden-infant-death-syndrome-sids/ ... which ya know, as it turns out, says absolutely nothing about autism.

I guess they think if they repeat the mantra often enough, we will change our minds. :eyesroll

But seriously, anyone have any studies on the SIDS-DTAP/DPT link?

Not SIDS related but the number of death claims from the old whole-cell pertussis vax was far higher than all other vaxxes combined and the newer one still ranks highest...

http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/statisticsreports.html#Claims

If you haven't already, check out the work of Dr Viera Scheibner and her Cotwatch studies.

http://www.vierascheibner.org/index.php?view=article&catid=40%3Alarge-manuscripts-on-vaccination&id=51%3Avaccinations-and-the-dynamics-of-critical-days&tmpl=component&print=1&page=&option=com_content&Itemid=56

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

https://www.facebook.com/karibundy - If you can see this... someone just shared her picture on my wall. It is the one of a little boy on the left and a bowl on the right. You can look through the comments to read her story. I am just sick and I realize it is anecdotal and babies die from pertussis too but as you can see in the info in the link above the pertussis vaccines have always had very high numbers of deaths associated with them.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)

I don't know if SIDS is related to vaccines.  I have not looked into it.  I suppose one could look at the SIDS rate in the week following vaccines, versus the SIDS rate at other times…anyone know if this has happened on a large scale?

That being said, SIDS was a fear of mine when the kids were babies.  It is most common under 6 months (and fairly rare) afterwards.  I think that might be a good argument for delay.  I do know if I ever had a child succumb to SIDS within a week or so of a vaccine I would always wonder.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 10-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was first researching vaccines I remember seeing SIDS as a rare side effect listed on one of the inserts I was looking at. I can't remember which one it was, though.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Fruitfulmomma - that was quit possibly the saddest thing I've read in a long time!  I had to read a few times to understand the pictures (took a while to sink in)-  and how incredibly horrible that people were actually mocking her!

DTaP caused our issues with DD at 4mos and is the reason I will no longer vax, and she's alive and healthy, I can't even contemplate what I would have done if things were worse.  I watched her like a hawk when she did the screaming afterwards and for the short periods she did sleep I never slept, not for weeks, not until I felt like she was past the worst of it.  So tragic that people still deny these are vaccine reactions.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

SIDS deaths went down since "back to sleep campaign" . No connection to vaccines.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Love to see the non-anecdotal info on that because I've spoken to a few health professionals who are very much against the back to sleep campaign

Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

From APA

Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

This is posted in the I'm NOT Vaccinating Forum... I am not interested in debating the issue. I am looking for sources from other non-vaxxers who may have read more than I have.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Alenushka, I am removing you from this discussion. This is a support forum. If you would like to have a conversation about the topic you posted you should post it in the general Vaccinations Discussion forum or the Vaccinations Debate forum. 

Old 10-17-2013, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the manufacturer's insert for Pediatrix (DTap+Polio+HepB), there was 1 or 2 children who died of SIDS during clinical trials. The insert then states that there is no causal relationship. I personally can't help but wonder if there is no causal relationship because the findings were not researched further.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonsey View Post

In the manufacturer's insert for Pediatrix (DTap+Polio+HepB), there was 1 or 2 children who died of SIDS during clinical trials. The insert then states that there is no causal relationship. I personally can't help but wonder if there is no causal relationship because the findings were not researched further.

This. This is pure speculation, too, but I also can't help but notice that the highest risk periods for SIDS are at 2 and 4 months old. I realize that correlation is not necessarily causation, but it's one more uncertainty that leads me to decline DtaP. 

It's also my understanding that SIDS rates decreased dramatically in Japan when the DTP vaccine was pushed to two years old. 

If we're allowed to share links, this one is interesting:

http://www.consumerhealth.org/articles/display.cfm?ID=19990705002005

As is this:

http://www.vierascheibner.org/index.php?view=article&catid=47%3Acot-deaths-sids&id=73%3Avaccinations-part-i-medical-research-on-sids-and-epidemics-&option=com_content&Itemid=58

Happy mama to our sweet pea  (08/25/13), loving wife to my brilliant gentleman  (09/10/11)

Breastfeeding, babywearing, and promoting natural health one day at a time!

*Cautiously expecting number TWO May 30, 2014*

Old 11-24-2013, 08:55 AM

Check out this info from CDC and you decide:   http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00043987.htm

Scroll down to table 2 and look at the stats.  I think this shows SIDS rates before and after the BACK TO SLEEP campaign.  What you will see is that while the overall rate of SIDS went down after, the highest rate of cases were STILL HAPPENING AT THE SAME AGES!  ......the HIGHEST RATE  at age 2 months (first round of shots) and the 2nd highest rate at age 4 months (second round of shots)

There's all the info you need, straight from the CDC.

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List