Need a short informational on the ineffectiveness of flu vaxes... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'm at work, so I don't have any links saved here, but I'm looking for something short and to the point, an article, study, review, blog...Not picky but something I can print up and give to co-workers who are beginning to accost me for shunning the flu vax.  The sheeples all bounded downstairs today for their free employee shots (I work for a town municipality) and when my co-worker told them I wasn't going because I don't do the flu shot, jaws hit the ground, I was told round about that "new parents like you are responsible for all those whooping cough outbreaks in babies".  It's not been my week. :irked

So if anyone can hook me up I'd truly appreciate it!

BeckyBird likes this.
#2 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001269.pub4/abstract;jsessionid=E5A9C18AF16E3488D822EC065B9DAC99.f04t02

".. that under ideal conditions (vaccine completely matching circulating viral configuration) 33 healthy adults need to be vaccinated to avoid one set of influenza symptoms. In average conditions (partially matching vaccine) 100 people need to be vaccinated to avoid one set of influenza symptoms. Vaccine use did not affect the number of people hospitalised or working days…. Our results may be an optimistic estimate because company-sponsored influenza vaccines trials tend to produce results favorable to their products and some of the evidence comes from trials carried out in ideal viral circulation and matching conditions and because the harms evidence base is limited.."  

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2011/10/strict-meta-analysis-raises-questions-about-flu-vaccine-efficacy

"– A rigorous new analysis of 44 years' worth of studies is raising questions about the evidence for the effectiveness of influenza vaccines in elderly people and, for certain types of vaccines, in children and younger adults as well.

Applying very strict criteria to filter out potential bias and confounding, a US research team sifted more than 5,000 studies and found only 31 that they felt provided reliable evidence about the efficacy and effectiveness of flu vaccines. The findings were published online today by Lancet Infectious Diseases."

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How about telling them to mind their own friggin business as well......

sassyfirechick likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

What vaccine did they administer? Depending on that we could post the vaccine safety sheet.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#5 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)

Even if someone does want a flu shot, there is some evidence the flu shot only lasts 3-4 months.  Flu season peaks in February in most places.  There is a very good chance the not so effective vaccine will have worn off by the time flu season rolls.

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/224051511.html

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I hope the comment on whooping cough was because they knew you were not vaxxed against pertussis, and not because they thought that the vax for the flu could help with that??? Wonder if they were all up to date on that as well.

#7 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Cochrane Review researcher, Dr. Tom Jefferson (medical doctor AND epidemiologist) wrote a couple of angry letters to the Vancouver Sun, after they published the Vancouver Chief Health Officer Dr Perry Kendall's  column, in which Dr. Kendall LIED and said that the Cochrane Review highly recommended the flu shot.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Cochrane+review+vaccine+definitive+health+officer+suggests/7543272/story.html

and 

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Opinion+Scientist+fires+latest+shot+mandatory+vaccine+debate/7572719/story.html

#8 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Thanks all!

Kathymuggle I did find that first link of yours when I had a quick second to do a search!

Marnica, trust me in my mind I was saying that along with a whooooole host of other things :2whistle  But 1.)I was at work so trying to be nice (trying) and 2.) I was literally cornered by 4 people who were all heading off together (one does sit behind me) and they all seemed to congregate by my desk before heading out! Totally caught me off guard!

Minerva23, I have no idea, I actually though about asking because I wanted to know if it was going to shed for my own protection, but then realized none of them would ever think to ask.  I suppose I could just call up the Health Department (or walk downstairs!) and find out which one they use.

fruitfulmomma, you know, he's a pretty oblivious guy and was just reiterating something he saw on the news, but once he learned my stance on vaccines (I don't think I left any doubt lol!) he did look at me like I had 10 heads and I don't think he was thinking the flu vax would protect from that, more a general comment about non-vaxxing, but ignorant nonetheless.  The woman behind me knows I don't vax (that came out one day and she countered with how her husband had polio and didn't walk til he was 8 and she doesn't want polio to come back, oy, some day I just might blurt out how wonderful his immune system must be that he's doing so well today!) but she's a self proclaimed ignorant who would rather be in the dark....

and Taximom, the Cochrane review was what I printed out and as I was leaving, I handed it to the co-worker who made the whooping cough comment and said hey, before you go making assumptions about me being some crazy conspiracy theorist who's parading around my child as some vector for disease, maybe you should read this.  I actually do like him, he's generally very nice and I think he will take it super personal (we always mess with him and he's gullible enough to assume the worst from our jokes) but I was truly angry by his assumptions.

We shall see what happens tomorrow when I get to work, although I tore down for a 2nd time a flyer taped to my desk with dates for flu clinics!!  I can honestly say I now know how my vegan friend felt when I first met her and was an uber bitch about her dietary habits having been freshly out of college as a brain washed animal science know-it-all and refusing to see her side of the story. It sucks when people are mean!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page