What role do Titers play in your life, if any? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not debating here or having an agenda. Just wanted to know for those who are not vaccinating ever, do you ever have titers drawn on yourselves or your kids? Do you use those results to either intentionally expose yourselves/kids to things or to avoid them at certain critical times of your lives (such as pregnancy or newborn period)?

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No I have not had titers drawn on my kids. Only titers I have had on myself  has been during routine pregnancy bloodwork.

I may at some point when they are older have titers done on my kids. It would be to satisfy my curiosity

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
No role whatsoever. When it comes to true immunity antibodies are pretty meaningless.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 10-07-2013, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We won't be doing any titers as long as the kids are little. I might have them done for rubella when they reach their teenage/ childbearing years hoping they will be exposed to it long before. So far I think we will take what comes our way and not have them exposed to something at a party. I am not even sure if that is something parents do in my area. At least I have not heard of any.

I had to have titers checked for Varicella in order to skip the vaccine (US-immigration) and while pregnant for rubella.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Old 10-07-2013, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

No I have not had titers drawn on my kids. Only titers I have had on myself  has been during routine pregnancy bloodwork.

I may at some point when they are older have titers done on my kids. It would be to satisfy my curiosity

:yeah   Definitely a curiosity factor here, but not of any real importance.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)

I am sure I had titres drawn while pregnant, it is routine here.

I migth have titres drawn on my youngest if she has a blood draw - I think she had chicken pox, but I am not 100% sure.  I think it might be important information for her down the road.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM

I am reading this thread with interest.  My children have had no shots (other than one DTaP for my daughter in infancy before I quit getting shots).

I have always said I would have titres drawn when they were older (esp. for rubella as we go into childbearing years).  That said, I feel weird about it.  Because while my pediatrician is understanding about my choice not to vaccinate, I feel awkward about asking for titres...esp. if they show nothing.  and then consequently possibly STILL not doing shots.  

I did all my vaccine research in 2006.  Then shut that box in my mind once my decisions were made and I closed the door on it comfortably and feeling well informed.  Now I feel "rusty" for lack of a better word.  My stats aren't fresh, I feel overwhelmed at opening that pandora's box again once my kids are closer to their teens.  FWIW, my daughter is only 7 so I have some time.  But I know DH thinks we will look at these things at around age 12 or 13, and I'm not even sure where to start looking/reading again.  My thoughts were to look at doing rubella (for childbearing years), and looking at varicella, although honestly that shot sounds like a mess with toddlers as young as 3 getting shingles in Japan, I just can't see going for that one.  

XOXO

B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post

I am reading this thread with interest.  My children have had no shots (other than one DTaP for my daughter in infancy before I quit getting shots).

I have always said I would have titres drawn when they were older (esp. for rubella as we go into childbearing years).  That said, I feel weird about it.  Because while my pediatrician is understanding about my choice not to vaccinate, I feel awkward about asking for titres...esp. if they show nothing.  and then consequently possibly STILL not doing shots.  

As far as I know, rubella is very rare.  If it were kicking around, I would do titres for females as they hit the mid teen years.  

The other disease i think can be titre worthy, particluarly if you (general you) is thinking of vaccinating is pertussis.  Lots of people had pertussis and do not know about it (they tend to think it was a generic bad/long cough) 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 10-08-2013, 01:18 PM

I get Titer'ed in every pregnancy for Rubella & tested for HepB. Rubella always changes! I had my last MMR in college & I have Titer'ed 'equivocal' (but my MW felt the number had previously been considered 'immune'), not immune (no number was given), and now WELL over immune. So either they are shifting/unreliable or I was exposed.

In any case, my son's have not been Titer'ed because of lack of access. I sorta want to have both tested for HepB before the baby gets here because I read people can have it 'silently' but I sorta doubt I can get those ordered.

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List