For Parents with Autistic Children: Did you get a flu shot while pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-09-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am hoping to have a baby in the next few years, and I would like to do whatever I can to protect my future children.  I am so humbled by your strength as parents, and I am hoping you would share the following information with me:

1)  Did you get a flu shot while you were pregnant with your child who is now autistic?

2)  Based on my personal research, it seems like autism is caused by both genetic and environmental factors, but it appears that some autism can be further triggered or expressed after vaccinations.  Would you agree with this based on your experience?

3)  Do you have a "gut feeling" about what causes autism?

4)  Do you have amalgam fillings in your mouth from dentistry work?

Thank you so much!

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 17 Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Welcome and kudos to you for researching the vaccines before you get pregnant, there is much learn on the issue. Autism is just one concern with prenatal vaccination. The flu vaccine has also been implicated in miscarriage.

http://vactruth.com/2012/11/23/flu-shot-spikes-fetal-death/

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 17 Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM

My children are not autistic, but I believe they would be if I had vaccinated them, or if I had gotten vaccines while pregnant, or if I had regularly given them Tylenol (acetaminophen). (They've never had Tylenol, or any fever reducing drugs).

I do wish that I had given them probiotics and vitamin D when they were babies. It's also a good thing for the mother to take probiotics and vitamin D before and during pregnancy.

I gave birth at home, and delayed clamping of the cord.

I only had one amalgam filling, which was removed by an IAOMT dentist years before my first pregnancy. I also never eat fish. (I take molecularly distilled fish oil, which I also give to my kids).

Good for you for researching all this before pregnancy. You'll be very, very glad you did.

applejuice and foryourosie like this.
#4 of 17 Old 10-09-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your replies!  I spoke with two holistic-friendly doctors in my area and here were their responses:

Opinion #1: 

I respect each person's decision whether or not to vaccinate.
I advise each person on the pros and cons and encourage you to do your own research.
Personally, I don't think it's a good idea.
Antibiotics:  they have there place, but there's so many other choices before resorting to antibiotics.
Again, your question about vaccinations; each parent must make his/her own decision.

I give out information pro and con; education is key;    I never had my kid vaccinated.

Opinion #2:

Most adult flu vaccine still contains thimersol.  Pregnancy seems to be the worst time to increase our mercury exposure.

Vitamin D, probiotics, etc would be another way to go. 

Yes, we try various alternatives (e.g. homeopathic ear drops) when reasonable before treating ear infections with oral antbx

I’ve seen some benefits with vaccines through the years – as well as some bad reactions.

We are fine with delayed schedules.  Increasing numbers of parents have asked for this.

Obviously I only asked holistic-friendly doctors for a reason, so I am sure other doctors would have much different opinions.  I just thought it would be valuable to put this information out there.

I hope we can keep this thread going, since it is such a wonderful discussion!

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 17 Old 10-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I did not get any vaccinations while pregnant and considering the reactions my DD had to the 2 series of vaxxes I did get her before stopping completely, I do not wish to think about what could have happened.

We do vit D and probiotics, have been from day one with her, as well as routine chiropractic visits which I started her on at 6wks old.

She's never had any OTC meds and I've already been told by the ND that acetaminophen for her would actually have the opposite effect and increase fever/pain, so for things like teething we've stuck with an amber necklace and hyland teething tabs.  Highest fever thus far has been 100.5, so not really high at all (even her vax fevers never went above 99.9) and within 10mins of using Peppermint Essential Oil on her feet, the temp dropped to 99.9 and slowly dropped on its own over a 2 day period.

She's got some lingering digestive issues (dairy intolerant), and is borderline anaphylactic to oats (which was introduced after her last vax), but thankfully we've had no issues thus far in the ASD/ADHD realm and I don't expect there to be. We will not vax her again.

Also no fillings here!

It's good to look into this stuff before hand.  I started, but not soon enough, and didn't have enough confidence in my decision in the beginning.  Luckily I found my voice and stood up for my LO before something worse happened.

#6 of 17 Old 10-09-2013, 05:13 PM

My second child is autistic, but I truly believe that in our case it is genetic. My brother and uncle are both high functioning autistics, and clearly they were born before this apparant increase in autistic children.

I have never recieved a vaccine while pregnant or breastfeeding, and delayed vaccines for my kids. I actually had the flu while pregnant with my oldest, but she is neurotypical and has never had any problems. My son has had a myriad of issues from milk allergy, sensory processing disorder, numerous environmental allergies and early tonsillitis, and finally the diagnosis of autism. I'm not saying all these are necessarily related, I just believe he got an unlucky set of genetics that predisposed him to a number of health conditions.

I had smooth pregnancies, natural births, breastfed both of my babies, and actually delayed vax for longer with my autistic son than with my daughter, yet my children are very different from each other. This is why I think for us its just luck of the draw.

On the amalgram fillings - I have no idea. If they are just the cheap kind, I probably do. I do have several fillings, but I didn't get any of them while pregnant or breastfeeding either of my kids.
#7 of 17 Old 10-09-2013, 08:13 PM

I believe the vast majority of autism cases are due to genetic susceptibility, not pure genetics. An example of a pure genetic cause would be an extra chromosome. A genetically susceptible person can avoid autism if the environmental triggers are absent or reduced.

My kids are genetically susceptible to autism, but they don't have autism.

#8 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 AM

I believe autism is epigenetic. There is no such thing as a genetic epidemic.
applejuice likes this.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#9 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

A genetically susceptible person can avoid autism if the environmental triggers are absent or reduced.

Although I am obviously not sure, based on everything I have read and seen, this makes a whole lot of sense to me.  It would explain why 100% of twins do not both express autism.  It would explain the percentage of those who are not both autistic, since only one of them would have been genetically vulnerable.

Again, to everyone who has replied so far, I really love hearing your medicinal tips and stories, and I hope that all of this will be valuable to anyone who reads (or at least offer some different perspectives)!

I just want to add that the students my sister works with really are sweet boys and girls, but their parents feel that they have been 'robbed' of important parts of their personalities.  I know they are not bad kids, I just want to do whatever I can as a future mom to think about these things. :o

applejuice likes this.
#10 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Yes, I had a flu shot while pregnant and yes, I believe it negatively affected my child's health.  He has developmental problems and severe food allergies, including egg, which is in the vaccine as well.  He was also fully vaccinated up to age 2, at which point his health really fell apart and we embarked on the search for answers and healing.  I'm happy to say, we have found a lot of healing through diet changes and biomedical approaches, but still have a way to go.  If I had known them what I know now, I would have made vastly different decisions regarding vaccination for myself and my child.

applejuice likes this.
#11 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 AM

To the OP, you asked this question:

Quote:

Autism is not one single disease with one single cause, that is a medical myth. If you look at the diagnostic criteria for autsim all you get is a menu of behaviors, not a single cause. And this is of huge benefit to the pharmaceutical industry who sell and manufacture vaccines and are looking for the 'cure'.

Are there children with autism that haven't been vaccinated? Yes there are, so vaccines couldn't possibly cause autism. So those children harmed by vaccines shouldn't be labeled autistic, call them vaccine damaged.

Some children with autstic symtoms have been poisoned by toxic chemicals (be they from vaccines or non vaccine sources), so call it chemical poisoning.

Some autistic children have severe nurtritional deficiencies, so call it nutritional deficiency

Then some autistic children have a severe oxygen deficit, so call it oxygen deficit.

Some children autistic children have all four, so call it all four.

Every child with autism is unique, and every child with 'autism' should be treated uniquely. 

applejuice and Taximom5 like this.

#12 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foryourosie View Post

I am hoping to have a baby in the next few years, and I would like to do whatever I can to protect my future children.  I am so humbled by your strength as parents, and I am hoping you would share the following information with me:

1)  Did you get a flu shot while you were pregnant with your child who is now autistic? Two of my five children are on the spectrum. No, I did not get a flu shot while I was pregnant.

2)  Based on my personal research, it seems like autism is caused by both genetic and environmental factors, but it appears that some autism can be further triggered or expressed after vaccinations.  Would you agree with this based on your experience? I disagree.

3)  Do you have a "gut feeling" about what causes autism? See Mirzam's response as I agree.

4)  Do you have amalgam fillings in your mouth from dentistry work? No, I have NEVER had a cavity!

Thank you so much!

applejuice likes this.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#13 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foryourosie View Post

1)  Did you get a flu shot while you were pregnant with your child who is now autistic?

No.  It was not available.  I would have refused it, though.  

2)  Based on my personal research, it seems like autism is caused by both genetic and environmental factors, but it appears that some autism can be further triggered or expressed after vaccinations.  Would you agree with this based on your experience?  This is what I believe based on what I have read.

I believe it is multi-causal. I believe there might be a genetic tendency but that genetics are hardly the whole story.  If genetics was the cause of autism, autism numbers would be fairly stable.  They are not - they are increasing and it is not only due to better diagnosis, expanded definitions, etc.  

Ack. I have to go to work - so i will try to make this brief.  If I were pregnant, I would do everything I could to avoid using pharmaceuticals during pregnancy and the first 2-3 years of life.  I would not refuse life saving medicine (who would?) but I would set up my environment to minimize needing any drugs.  

4)  Do you have amalgam fillings in your mouth from dentistry work?

yes, I do.

Thank you so much!

I do not have an autistic child.  I have one child who is ADHDish (moderate) - he was vaxxed on schedule until about 1 year.  I kind of doubt his executive function issues are caused by vaccines - but who knows?  He had a rough birth, and was then on antibiotics at birth, so I wish I had the wisdom to give his system a rest and not get him vaccinated…but it is what it is.

I am an aunt to two severely autistic children.  They were vaccinated mostly on schedule.  To the best of my knowledge, neither had a visible vaccine reactions. I believe one of the children was autistic from birth and one very clearly regressed after a viral illness. The fact that he clearly regressed illustrates (to me) that there can be environmental triggers for autism.

In any event - answers in blue - and welcome!!!

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#14 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

One way to look at genetics is that each gene is a switch and they all start in the middle.  Every single one requires a "trigger" to switch them on or off and there's no definitive answer on what the trigger could be or why, say in twins, one gets switched on for a disease and the other off.  The body is complex.  It's why I refused genetic testing - not everything is a guarantee and many things are not a simple "recessive/dominant" situation like they teach you in elementary school biology.  When I was taking psych in high school, the text books didn't have a whole lot on autism, and there was no such thing as "spectrum disorders"...it was just labeled autism.  At that point we were told the just-beginning increase in autism rates was because they were getting better at diagnosing it - so the assumption was 'x' number of people ALWAYS had autism and we just had no way of diagnosing it until then.

When I fill out a patient intake form for a new practice, some doctors must look at my chart and think "she's doomed"!  You name it - from diabetes, to cancer, to heart disease, to epilepsy, someone in my immediate family has it or had it and has passed. I'm not sitting around expecting to die from any of these things because my lifestyle is my choice and I believe there are many things I can do to avoid these fates.  Are there things we can't control? Yup.  So I don't worry about those and focus on what I can do - no vaccines, organic food, avoiding chemical cleaners/yard chemicals/chemical body products.

#15 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Here is an article on autism rate in twins.  In a nutshell, if autism was purely genetic, fraternal twins should have a similar rate of autism as siblings do, as fraternal twins don't share more genetic material than non-twin siblings do.   Fraternal twins have a much higher rate of autism than non-twin siblings, which points to environmental factors in the womb and possibly early life as being significant.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2011/07/10153/study-debunks-autism-primarily-genetic-disorder

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#16 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

1)  Did you get a flu shot while you were pregnant with your child who is now autistic? No.

2)  Based on my personal research, it seems like autism is caused by both genetic and environmental factors, but it appears that some autism can be further triggered or expressed after vaccinations.  Would you agree with this based on your experience? Yes.

3)  Do you have a "gut feeling" about what causes autism? I believe it's a genetic susceptibility with an environmental trigger in most cases. 

4)  Do you have amalgam fillings in your mouth from dentistry work? No.

For the record, my son is 100% unvaccinated but he has a genetic deletion (14q11.2).

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#17 of 17 Old 12-16-2013, 08:37 PM

I did get a flu shot while pregnant and my son has autism.  I actually became extremely ill a few days after receiving the shot while we were stuck in an airport for 3 days due to flight delays.  It was the sickest I have ever been.

He also had his 2 month shots.  I totally believe that had I gotten all of the vaccines for him, he would be nonverbal and lower functioning.  I did not get any shots while pregnant with my other son and he has not had any himself.  He is not autistic.

applejuice likes this.

Mom to a 2-year old (Josiah) and an angel baby (Jonas) in Heaven~ is in my profile~expecting my rainbow baby in November 2010!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page