Flu vaccine hype vent - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-11-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just need to vent. . .

I'm already SO SICK of the flu vaccine hype and it is only early October.  Every store has huge banners and door-sized advertisements for the flu shot.  It is all over the radio and people are talking about getting their shot.  It is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.  Just a few years ago, this wasn't the case, but somehow humans have changed so much in the last few years that we can't make it through winter without a shot.  Grrr.

Without me realizing it, my sister took my mom, herself, and her kids to get the flu shot.  I'm so ticked!  My mom's doctor told her that the whole family needed the shot to protect my mom b/c she is in poor health (on oxygen 24/7.)  This infuriates me!  I was there taking care of my mom last year and I talked with her about the shot before every single doctor visit so she would feel comfortable with refusing - and she did and fared fine. The whole concept of putting your child (my niece and nephew) at risk to protect someone else makes me crazy!  You don't put a healthy child at risk to protect a frail, elderly person - it doesn't make any sense to me at all - even if that person is your mom.  Call me cold and heartless, by my child comes first.

If they would've talked to me first, I at least could've advised them to ask for a single-dose vial so there wouldn't be mercury.  GRRRRRR.. . .  And, my sister's kids are already probably vaccine damaged - TONS of health problems, life-threatening allergies, ADD, learning problems, etc. . . They are being slowly (or not so slowly) poisoned by the bleepity bleep medical system and "food" system.

I said, "Mom, come on, you know that shot is no good."  She said, "But my doctor gave it to me himself.  What could I do? How can I refuse it if he is giving it to me himself?"  (Doctor/God complex. . . she has a bit of dementia and loves the attention from her doctors.  And her heath is AWFUL and mostly as a result of those doctors.)

Three days later, 7-year-old niece is still complaining her arm hurts and is hard to move.

Okay, sorry for the rant.  I feel ever-so-slightly better.

Cuss.gif (This emoticon pretty much sums up how I feel. . . )

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#2 of 22 Old 10-11-2013, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I share your fuming ;)   I work for a municipality and the health department is downstairs from me and there are flyers everywhere for the flu clinics (including the endcap on my desk which I keep tearing down!) and my co-workers all went together for their shot and were appalled that I refused.

applejuice and inconditus like this.
#3 of 22 Old 10-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My OB has asked me the last two visits to get my flu shot. At this point I just laugh at him and then he laughs too. He knows I'm not getting that stupid shot!!!!
applejuice and boomer78 like this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#4 of 22 Old 10-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Yep, all over the media and some more. Flu shots and now the flu mist for kids as well including all these nice advertising slogans in it and much more. Measles were also pretty much pushed lately. Today I have come across several Polio vaccine supporting articles. It is like vaccines have become the new panacea. If you refuse, everybody else is going to be doomed. It is kind of scary to think about it.

applejuice likes this.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#5 of 22 Old 10-24-2013, 05:41 PM

I feel the EXACT same way. It is everywhere. And I mean EVERYWHERE. Even the scarecrow festival we went to last week had a scarecrow with a sign - "Don't forget to get your flu shot"! I wanted to knock it down and beat it with a stick because I, too, am sick of it.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

#6 of 22 Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I was at CVS recently, and the checkout clerk was wearing a shirt advertising the flu shot. I wonder if CVS forces its employees to wear the shirt, or offers exemptions for reasons of conscience. I certainly would not feel right about wearing that shirt if I were an employee.

And I'm getting sick of seeing RiteAid's flu shot advertisements on the public announcement boards in restaurants and coffee shops. Recently, one at Starbucks fell down, and instead of putting it back up, I threw it away. :mischief

applejuice likes this.
#7 of 22 Old 10-25-2013, 12:06 PM

That kind of reminds of the movie 'They live' from 1988. The main character discovers a pair of sunglasses that allows him to see that the earth has been taken over by aliens. All the ad campaigns in the movie when looked at with theses glasses would state 'OBEY' and some other weird stuff. Feels kind of the same with all these vax ads lately only that we don't need the glasses to see through it. LOL

Here is the storyline according to imdb:

Storyline

Nada, a down-on-his-luck construction worker, discovers a pair of special sunglasses. Wearing them, he is able to see the world as it really is: people being bombarded by media and government with messages like "Stay Asleep", "No Imagination", "Submit to Authority". Even scarier is that he is able to see that some usually normal-looking people are in fact ugly aliens in charge of the massive campaign to keep humans subdued.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

―Socrates

#8 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)

So there is an ad in my neck of the woods...

A person in seen waiting for someone else to get the door for her

A person is seen using her sleeve to open the door

A person deliberately keeps her hands  full so she doesn't have to touch thing.

The person is then seen using the door with her hands, shaking hands etc, and a narator comes on and say "flu shot - get the use of your hands back and start living again"

Gack!  The shot is maybe 50% effective against the strains found in the vaccine - the idea that you can rely on a flu shot to keep you from getting the flu and can now abandon any precautions you might have previously taken is preposterous - and misinformation.

sassyfirechick and inconditus like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#9 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 09:51 AM

LOL Kathy, I about fell out of my chair at work laughing at the absurdity of that campaign!  It totally goes along with the other thread about how these childhood diseases might be more harmful in adults.  Getting the flu vax doesn't prevent transmission - they know this.  Yet they put this garbage out there giving people the illusion that once you get shot up you are somehow in this protective bubble and can no longer catch or spread disease.  I had some guy in my office the other day hacking up a lung, no voice, seriously sounded like he had the plague and he's all "oh yah I feel like shit, never been this sick before in my life"....then why are you out in public?!?! That is one case where sharing is not necessary thanks!  Not gonna lie, I keep a bottle of vit C in my desk and I immediately hoped back and popped a few thousand mg's once he left!

inconditus likes this.
#10 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

LOL Kathy, I about fell out of my chair at work laughing at the absurdity of that campaign!  It totally goes along with the other thread about how these childhood diseases might be more harmful in adults.  Getting the flu vax doesn't prevent transmission - they know this.  Yet they put this garbage out there giving people the illusion that once you get shot up you are somehow in this protective bubble and can no longer catch or spread disease.  I had some guy in my office the other day hacking up a lung, no voice, seriously sounded like he had the plague and he's all "oh yah I feel like shit, never been this sick before in my life"....then why are you out in public?!?! That is one case where sharing is not necessary thanks!  Not gonna lie, I keep a bottle of vit C in my desk and I immediately hoped back and popped a few thousand mg's once he left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

So there is an ad in my neck of the woods...

A person in seen waiting for someone else to get the door for her

A person is seen using her sleeve to open the door

A person deliberately keeps her hands  full so she doesn't have to touch thing.

The person is then seen using the door with her hands, shaking hands etc, and a narator comes on and say "flu shot - get the use of your hands back and start living again"

Gack!  The shot is maybe 50% effective against the strains found in the vaccine - the idea that you can rely on a flu shot to keep you from getting the flu and can now abandon any precautions you might have previously taken is preposterous - and misinformation.

don't know who has seen this or not http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71MG/rite-aid-flu-shot-feeling-your-best 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#11 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 AM

wow...just wow!

#12 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's funny, so many folks who generally comply with vaccine guidelines are like "Hell no!" to the flu shot. So many people know it doesn't work and actually makes you sick part of the time!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#13 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 12:05 PM

I loved that dumb looking smile on her face. And I guess getting the flu shot allows one to walk around have naked while everybody else has to dress in warm clothing or what?

kathymuggle and inconditus like this.

―Socrates

#14 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh, I'm so glad I don't see those ads.  It would just irritate me.  I wish I could find it funny, but I get so annoyed.

It used to be that advertisements for the flu shot were around, but not so thoroughly every.where.  Each year, it is more and more. I shudder to think what next year will bring!  And to those who say that vaccines aren't that big of money makers, there is no way this vaccine would be so heavily marketed if it weren't raking in the cash.  This level of marketing is EXPENSIVE.

Anectodally, I had a student in my class come in excited about getting the flu shot.  (Yeah, excited.)  3 days later he was absent -out sick- for nearly a week - longer than any of the other kids in my class who have gotten sick this year. 

I so can't wait until this mania ends.  I wonder how many months before it all dies down. . .

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#15 of 22 Old 10-31-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

I loved that dumb looking smile on her face. And I guess getting the flu shot allows one to walk around have naked while everybody else has to dress in warm clothing or what? :laugh

it's warm in that bubble?!

in another one of my daydreams………they would do a commercial about a nursing home (as in my area where near compliance in close to 100% for residents & staff) yet yearly they have to "close" due to flu and have deaths related to flu, guess that wouldn't go over too well, no smily faces :eyesroll

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#16 of 22 Old 10-31-2013, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)

Ok  - this is one is more offensive than funny (I am trying to find funny one).  What makes it all the worse is that it is put out by the state of Kentucky!  One would hope a state would not be so offensive.  It is from 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiQ3jKLVdWM

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#17 of 22 Old 10-31-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

it's warm in that bubble?!

in another one of my daydreams………they would do a commercial about a nursing home (as in my area where near compliance in close to 100% for residents & staff) yet yearly they have to "close" due to flu and have deaths related to flu, guess that wouldn't go over too well, no smily faces :eyesroll

Urgh! My grandma's nursing home is like this. She called me last week to tell me not to bring DD to visit her until she gives the go ahead because of influenza and pneumonia cases over there. She did the same thing last year but later said she wonders how much worse it would have been if everyone didn't have the flu shot banghead.gifhide.gif

#18 of 22 Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Ok  - this is one is more offensive than funny (I am trying to find funny one).  What makes it all the worse is that it is put out by the state of Kentucky!  One would hope a state would not be so offensive.  It is from 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiQ3jKLVdWM

I love that one -LMAO here!

―Socrates

#19 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

:rotflmao

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#20 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

:rotflmao

:twins a "yearly" tradition!!! tis the season (al)…………I'm using good hand washing skills and washing my hands of it too!!!! 

&

#21 of 22 Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
My daughter had influenza at 3 months old and guess what? I breasted her through it and she was better in two sets and it took my husband and u like a week to get better. It was find years ago so I can't quite remember but I remember she was better before us! Also when the dr told my husband he had the flu they scared us about the baby getting it and how dangerous it would be!!

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th
#22 of 22 Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Days*

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page