What risks do a Vacc'd baby (the day he gets shots) pose to my unvacc'd baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 13 mo old Ds is not vacc'd but I babysit a 4 month old who is.  He is getting his 4 mo shots then they want to bring him straight here.  Should I be concerned?  Also what vaccs given still have live viruses and are those the ones I need to worry about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

The baby, if vaccinated according to the CDC schedule, will be having DTaP, Hib, IPV, PCV and Rota. The only one where shedding is a concern is Rota. Rota is a common stomach virus which most kids get at some point - two of my three had it, one at 9 months the other at around 16 months. I would take the usual precautions of washing hands after diaper changes etc.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

The baby, if vaccinated according to the CDC schedule, will be having DTaP, Hib, IPV, PCV and Rota. The only one where shedding is a concern is Rota. Rota is a common stomach virus which most kids get at some point - two of my three had it, one at 9 months the other at around 16 months. I would take the usual precautions of washing hands after diaper changes etc.

Thank you.  Was just looking at the CDC schedule and found the same thing.  What other vaccs should I be concerned about in the future?  I think I'm going to let the family know in advance that I would like to make arrangements when he gets the others that might be concerning.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahsmama1 View Post

Thank you.  Was just looking at the CDC schedule and found the same thing.  What other vaccs should I be concerned about in the future?  I think I'm going to let the family know in advance that I would like to make arrangements when he gets the others that might be concerning.

MMR and Varicella

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 10-21-2013, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

just some FYI and OP I'm sure you are aware

when these posts come up I usually say how we avoid those who have had vaccination (for in my state MOST are done at the Dr office) - my big concern is not so much with the vaccines, as Mirza, pointed out what one to watch for, but you might find that those who have just been to the Dr and NOTHING was wrong, a few days later they do have "something" and that "something" is what we like to avoid!

Few (there are some but it's not 100%) have well check rooms and "sick" rooms and even separate the waiting rooms but sadly most don't and you take healthy freshly vacced child and add a vaccine to their body and throw in a few germs and a few day later they have to go back to Dr for the "germy something thing"- I find this IRL all the time.

An older person recently told me how they no longer are getting the flu shot - not because of their feelings on the shot but because they only time of the year they are sick is after they go for their yearly check-up.................a germy environment! 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I would not want to watch a child the day of their shots. They should be at home under the watchful eye of their mother, in case they have a reaction, IMO. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

a few days later they do have "something" and that "something" is what we like to avoid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaGC View Post

I would not want to watch a child the day of their shots. They should be at home under the watchful eye of their mother, in case they have a reaction, IMO.

Both of these.  Only time DD has been sick was following a well visit - and she wasn't even being vaxed at that point! And reactions would be a huge concern having a child who did react to the vaccine we did do, I would be a paranoid mess if I was watching someone else's kid, especially if they weren't really aware of the risks.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaGC View Post

I have to agree with you, I would not like to either, given that my DD reacted to the DTP at both four and six months, with inconsolable crying. That is something a babysitter shouldn't have to deal with, IMO.

t

Old 10-21-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)

IF I was the OP I would flat out state that it's best the parent watch the child for the first 24 hours after ANY vaccines and that she is doing so to lessen the liability risk on her end (I would say the word liability that tends to get "some" people thinking) - it might just plant the needed seed that it's not just a simple jab and parents SHOULD take it seriously 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 10-26-2013, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
OP, your title is about risk to YOUR child from the vaxxed baby. If you are not worried about bringing your unvaxxed baby to the grocery store, where thousands of people (with most adults not boostered, and many unvaxxed) sneeze their contagious germs everywhere, I wouldn't worry about viral shedding from a vaccine.

I would be more worried that the vaxxed baby would have a seizure reaction while in your care. That is admittedly a relatively low risk, but that reaction could happen 10 days to 2 or even 3 weeks post-vaccination, so keep your eyes open.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

As others said, live virus vaccines are the only ones that have potential to shed. Rotavirus, MMR, varicella, and the nasal spray flu mist. Here is the CDC schedule. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/downloads/parent-ver-sch-0-6yrs.pdf

I would be MUCH more worried though, of the risk to myself and my family if I were accused of abusing or killing the baby if he had a vaccine reaction. I highly suggest you have some nanny cams installed, and do not take the baby out of sight of those nanny cams. Vaccine reactions can happen weeks after vaccination.

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List