Moved to a new state with different vaccine exemptions, what to do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family used to live in California, and then Idaho, which both allow philosophical exemption from vaccines. We moved to Florida 4 months ago, and they do not have the same exemption here, only medical and religious. My son (10) was fully vaxxed, and has been diagnosed with Asperger's. My daughter (6) was vaxxed under 1, but has received none since then. She is currently homeschooled, but I'm considering putting her in public school for socialization (I've contacted several homeschool groups to make friends and nobody will respond). I'm wondering if, at 6 years old and so far behind on vaccines, and having lived in a state where we could choose not to vax based on our opinion, would they require her to get all the vaccines caught up? Is there a certain age at which they would say "well, she's so old and so behind, vaccines can't be given past a certain age, etc"? (I would consider filing a religious exemption, except we're all atheist and the school is well aware of this fact - my son was bullied for it and I had several meetings with the staff about it.) Any thoughts on what to do in this situation?
#2 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I used to live in FL and yes, they would want her caught up asap. You would have to show all the ones you are getting her now, a note from a doctor showing when she was getting them all and would have to sign a wavier so that the school would know if you skipped any immediately.

So, i have also obtained a Religious exempt there. You have to go into the state department and tell them you are religiously against them. That is literally all you have to say. They might ask some questions, but as long as you literally just keep saying that over and over. I am religiously against Vaccinations for my children. They will give you their form and it won't be questioned at schools etc. You HAVE to get one for both kids though or else they will call bull.

As for being atheist... as far as I know it can be classified a strong belief in or against something-if you hold a strong
opinion" against Vaxes that can still be held under a "religious belief". Don't let it stop you and the school is not allowed to ask questions about a Religious exemption or they can get in serious hot water.

Any other questions?

S

DS-13      

DD-8

DD-2

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#3 of 5 Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

The particular religion doesn't matter.  I was raised Catholic but have ZERO involvement with any church, and even when attending for weddings and such I simply refuse to follow along with "the motions" - I have MY religious beliefs and I don't know that they all fall under any particular religion nor do I have a desire to pursue that.  But I do plan to file a religious exemption when DD goes to school - one of the options being a catholic Montessori school.  So being atheist doesn't mean you can't be against vaccines.  Philosophical and religious exemptions are fairly similar and I'd bet many who use the religious option do so because philosophical isn't available (it's certainly the case for us).

#4 of 5 Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

http://www.floridahealth.gov/prevention-safety-and-wellness/immunization/children-and-adolescents/_documents/school-guide.pdf

page 12

The county health department issues the exemption, and the schools are required to accept it.

Without the exemption, your children would be required to be up to date, or in the process of becoming up to date, on the following:

Public/Non-Public Schools K-12:

Four or five doses of diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine

Three, four or five doses of polio vaccine
Two doses of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine
Two or three doses of hepatitis B vaccine

Two doses of varicella vaccine

http://www.floridahealth.gov/prevention-safety-and-wellness/immunization/children-and-adolescents/_documents/school-guide.pdf

page 3

#5 of 5 Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you all so much for the responses.  I still haven't decided whether my daughter will go to school or not (I feel guilty for thinking it, but then I feel guilty for her not having any friends at all!)  but if she does, I'll go the religious exemption route.  The health department location for the form is a few miles away from our house, so that's handy as well.

Thank you all again!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page