Measles Outbreak - Prevention? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There has now been a measles case identified in my immediate area and 6 within the two provinces next to us. So Im thinking hard about taking safety measures. I have a 28 month old and a 2 month old both unvaxxed. We live rurally but have two classes per week in a major city and my husband works in an office so we have potential avenues of exposure.

What would you do? Would you worry at all or just continue your normal routine? Ive been thinking of cutting out trips to the city except for our classes and supplementing vitamin A intake for myself, dh and older ds.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#2 of 3 Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bumping as I would like to know as well

Eri mom to our two beautiful DDs (born 5/2012) and (7/2014). I also happen to be married to THE best DH ever! We're a proud Christian family!

" I carried you for nine months, and I'm going to carry you until you can carry yourself on your own."
#3 of 3 Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Personally,

Under 10 cases in a very large area..... wouldn't worry.

Your chances of coming into contact with it are miniscule... you have more chance of actually catching it because of getting around newly vaxed kids (MMR is a live virus and sheds) than a few cases-cities over.

I say this as a person who 2 years ago ended up with my little girl catching it from a shedding vax in my 1 and 1/2 year old. All of us in the house got it... none of us had it bad. In fact, if it wasn't for my little girl getting a bit more of a classic case, having a doctor who is over 74 years old who has seen a zillion cases... I would have never known. I would have thought we all fought off a cold that had a rash.

I personally don't go out that much with a baby under 6 months but I don't change my life to possibly escape something like that. I am much more worried about keeping anyone with a cold and slight cough away. Just normal safe practices with a baby-you should be fine.!

However, I do also know that keeping Vit A and also Vit C in SA form around is also an extremely smart thing to do. :-)

S

DS-13      

DD-8

DD-2

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page