Princeton Meningitis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

I did hear this just this afternoon and the full transcript is not with this link (maybe not posted yet??) - http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/11/18/246022685/princeton-to-distribute-meningitis-b-vaccine

the version I heard at the 5PM news ends with a student saying how vaccines are not 100%, how many feel they are and that by getting it they think they will not have a chance of getting meningitis, and it end with the female student saying she will not get the vaccine

sorry could not find transcript maybe someone else will

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/224896/JCVI_interim_statement_on_meningococcal_B_vaccination_for_web.pdf

Looks like there are many questions considering efficacy, longevity, herd effect etc concerning this one.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 AM

Aughgh. The vaccine they're using isn't even FDA approved! banghead.gif

Weird how the Medical Establishment tells us how "dangerous' anything not FDA approved is if it's going to save us money (like getting scripts from Canada or using herbs or homeopathy) but it suddenly OK to use a dangerous vaccine when they want to start a fear panic.

Ug. I can't even say any more.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
Old 11-21-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieLC View Post

Aughgh. The vaccine they're using isn't even FDA approved! banghead.gif

Weird how the Medical Establishment tells us how "dangerous' anything not FDA approved is if it's going to save us money (like getting scripts from Canada or using herbs or homeopathy) but it suddenly OK to use a dangerous vaccine when they want to start a fear panic.

Ug. I can't even say any more.

would love to know more about how they get to do that - the little bit I have heard does't explain the FDA thing and I haven't had time to really look into it - I did look again and can't find the transcript from the NPR story I heard - maybe a student saying all the reasons she won't vac is not something the college enjoyed being out there!

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 11-21-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

would love to know more about how they get to do that - the little bit I have heard does't explain the FDA thing and I haven't had time to really look into it - I did look again and can't find the transcript from the NPR story I heard - maybe a student saying all the reasons she won't vac is not something the college enjoyed being out there!

I heard two or three reports, don't remember where (I watch and read a lot of news) CNN, local Chicago News, Network news channel,  that the vaccine was a European vaccine, but that it is not FDA approved. I guess they go with the Status Quo when it suits them and then when there is a "horrible emergency" they can go outside of it and do things they tell us crunchy types NEVER to do. *sigh*  Yes, this is a horrible disease, but damn, using a drug or vaccine that couldn't even get FDA approval sounds as risky as risking the disease. Why not just close down the Uni for a few weeks until it passes and offer treatment, if people show symptoms. No, they want to inject every student with this vaccine and not allow any exemptions.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieLC View Post

I heard two or three reports, don't remember where (I watch and read a lot of news) CNN, local Chicago News, Network news channel,  that the vaccine was a European vaccine, but that it is not FDA approved. I guess they go with the Status Quo when it suits them and then when there is a "horrible emergency" they can go outside of it and do things they tell us crunchy types NEVER to do. *sigh*  Yes, this is a horrible disease, but damn, using a drug or vaccine that couldn't even get FDA approval sounds as risky as risking the disease. Why not just close down the Uni for a few weeks until it passes and offer treatment, if people show symptoms. No, they want to inject every student with this vaccine and not allow any exemptions.

what I heard this is not NEW, they had cases since last Spring!

I do "wonder" how they can just vote (as the Univ did) to allow this and presto FDA says OK! I wish that part of the info was more out there - not for anything but it comes of reeking of "power" to me, there are lots of people with other diseases(not VPD) that would love non-FDA approved meds yet they can't get them  - how was this so easy??? They says from the stories that I heard the strain is one our vaccines do no good on and the vaccine they want to get is to deal with just this strain - so that would lead one to believe (and how can you not here??) that what Univ. & colleges are requiring as far as admission vaccines are not helping when you have students and professors from abroad. 

I hate to head a story and it leaves me with more questions and I can't find the answers! 

&

Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

what I heard this is not NEW, they had cases since last Spring!

I do "wonder" how they can just vote (as the Univ did) to allow this and presto FDA says OK! I wish that part of the info was more out there - not for anything but it comes of reeking of "power" to me, there are lots of people with other diseases(not VPD) that would love non-FDA approved meds yet they can't get them  - how was this so easy??? They says from the stories that I heard the strain is one our vaccines do no good on and the vaccine they want to get is to deal with just this strain - so that would lead one to believe (and how can you not here??) that what Univ. & colleges are requiring as far as admission vaccines are not helping when you have students and professors from abroad. 

I hate to head a story and it leaves me with more questions and I can't find the answers! 

Right. It's not an epidemic. Princeton has seen 7 cases since March of 13. They are going to offer the vaccine as voluntary, thank heavens. The first reports I heard they were going to "require" it. Any type of meningitis is pretty horrible. My concern is how safe this vaccine is if it has never been able to grain FDA approval.

Yes. There are plenty of meds in Europe that could be used in the USA, but dont' have FDA approval. One that comes to mind is Domperidone, a gastric emptier that is used to increase milk supply. It causes fewer side effects than the drug we have in the US, Reglan, which causes similar effects.  We used imported Domperidone for years, with "dire warnings" from the FDA because it wasn't approved here. It can be obtained from compounding pharmacies in the US with a prescription now, but still the drug itself is not available. My guess is the main reason is formula companies would object, sad but true. They often use very slimy politics to sell their wares to more women than whom really medically need them. (Basically, only about 1 in 1,000 to 1 in 2,000 mother baby dyads. But, they wouldn't make much of a profit if that was the only people they could sell their wares to are those who medically need them.) The "official" reason: "We already have a gastric emptying drug." Reglan. Please.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

2nd dose!

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/02/16/princeton-offers-second-dose-of-meningitis-vaccine/

People who only received one dose of the vaccine have an increased risk of getting meningitis, because the protection provided by the first dose declines over time.

Does anyone know the time frame for the decline? I could not find that the CDC is saying. So at what point are those who were vaccinated actually spreading it?

http://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/outbreaks/vaccine-serogroupB.html Since that protection declines over time, a second dose is needed to maintain protection.

&

Old 02-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1397624/meningitis-b-vaccine

There are some great links within the links I posted. Maybe you can find the answer there.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List