Chicken Pox and Medically Fragile - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we selectively vax and chicken pox is not one we are comfortable with.  My 8 year old just got the chicken pox.  She has 2 younger siblings with no signs yet.  Personally I am perfectly fine with this, I think it is better to get the CP than the vax.  My problem is we have a medically fragile foster child and I'm wondering how much doctors, caseworkers, etc are going to freak out on us.  Foster child I am 99% sure received her first dose of the vaccine just a few months ago.  Even the smallest illnesses give her a lot of problems though, she was hospitalized for a virus my kids got that was literally like a cold with a sore throat.

I am doing my best to keep my kids all away from foster child but I know CP is pretty contagious.  Any tips or advice or words of encouragement you can give me?

#2 of 9 Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)

Inform her caseworker on the chicken pox going around your house, and let them decide whether to temporarily remove her or not.  

There are also anti-virals for chicken pox - maybe look into it?

Good luck!   All 3 of my kids have had CP - 2 very mild, one moderate, no complication in anyone.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 9 Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I let them know last night- left a message and haven't heard back, I was going to let her pediatrician know tomorrow.  I hope they don't remove her temporarily.  I think with her having the vaccine, at least one dose, if she gets them it would be fairly mild and the stress of going to a new home would be harder on her.  I also hope the agency doesn't start to look at us like crazy people.  We do a lot of stuff out of the norm, homebirth, homeschool, selectively vax.  We actually got the flu vax for the first time ever just because of our little foster child.  It wasn't required, only recommended but we did it anyway.

There is a chance that my child actually caught the CP from our foster child.  She had 3 what I thought were pimples on her face last week and now I am wondering if she came down with a slight case?  To me it didn't look like CP at all but I wouldn't have even begun to think CP for a few spots on her face.  Also foster child is in and out of doctors's offices and hospitals and health clinics so much that she is exposed to everything so she would be the one most likely to have been exposed to it in the first place.

#4 of 9 Old 12-08-2013, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I suspect they'll want to put her in respite care.
#5 of 9 Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like everyone is content to leave her with us and us just continuing to separate our kids from her the best we can.  I'm really glad the pediatrician is staying calm and her caseworker too.  Unfortunately, my youngest two are showing no signs still so I'm guessing this is going to be dragging out a while.  I am keeping them away till they catch them and have theirs scab over too.

#6 of 9 Old 12-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwit View Post

I'm guessing this is going to be dragging out a while.  I am keeping them away till they catch them and have theirs scab over too.

I'm confused here and with the first post too - you are contagious prior to showing pox - so the foster child would have already been exposed and unless somehow you can clean everything I don't understand the segregation going on? It can take up to 28 days too to break out from time of exposure. I've passed even clothing to expose another child so I don't really understand what is going on here - the bio children are not living with the foster child??

good luck but I would say the foster child either gave them or has been exposed already

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001592.htm

A person with chickenpox becomes contagious 1 to 2 days before their blisters appear. They remain contagious until all the blisters have crusted over.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#7 of 9 Old 12-09-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, probably you are right but just in case we have segregated our children and foster child to different areas of the house. With foster child not being mobile plus she was actually gone most of the day on the day my oldest broke out and the day before there is a chance she hasn't been exposed and it seems smart to do our best to continue to keep them apart. Yes, it obviously isn't ideal and she does still share the same air in our house but it is better than my kids playing right next to her and holding her hand and hugging on her.

It is getting old already though. Unless I'm heading to the shower I'm not hugging my kids and I wash my hands after interacting with them. All for the sake of at least reducing foster daughters exposure.
#8 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'd be working to boost the foster kids natural immunity as it seems she's got some underlying issues.  Agree with serenbat, the damage has probably already been done as far as exposure and now it's just a waiting game.  Wouldn't have gone the flu vax route myself for transmission purposes (doesn't reduce numbers), but that's me.  Hopefully it all goes off without a hitch for you, but nothing wrong with a little preventative immune boosting.

pwit likes this.
#9 of 9 Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

I was definitely on the fence with the flu vax.  I am really not for it, have doubts about how helpful it even is.  But the neurologist that we absolutely love recommended it for all of us and I try to be a team player.  We delay all vaxes and refuse ones that used aborted fetal tissue and a few others for varyinig reasons.  This is all on my mind a lot though because last night I dreamed I ended up being exposed to polio!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page