Chickenpox, to expose or not to expose - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-09-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In a similar vein to the other thread that is circulating (no pun intended) Though, this isn't theoretical.  I just found out about someone who has chicken pox. I have an unvaxxed 19 month old and I'm wondering your thoughts on whether I should try to expose her to it or not.  I'm leaning to no, because it is hard to imagine trying to get her sick!  (Though, I THOUGHT I'd be the person going to a pox party. . . )  Partly, I'm thinking she is too young.  Partly because we are dealing with an ongoing retracted eardrum problem. Given the relationship with the child with chickenpox, it would be awkward, anyway.  But, I'm wondering if there are any compelling reasons to expose her.  I had chickenpox as a baby, and can't remember the experience, but was told it was a pretty bad case and quite unpleasant.  But, no lasting damage other than a couple of scars.

Anectdotally, the child with chicken pox is fully vaxxed and I can't go into it, but I highly suspect that she has been vaccine damaged. (Serious symptoms and timeline are classic.) Sadly ironic and tragic.  

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#2 of 3 Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can only tell you my experience. I exposed my kiddos at just under 1 and 3 and a half (16 years ago). My dd got it from the kiddo that had it and my son (the one year old) got it from his sister. Dd had a pretty good case but honestly she handled it really well. She never even scratched. DS did well also. He is 17 now and was among the first crop of kids to be offered the vaccine and have it required for school. It was fun to say that he had been exposed 2 days ago lets see what pops up.

Fast forward 2 years to ds2 and a different doc'd office. I was told horror stories about how some kids become brain injured from cp until I agreed to the shot (I should have picked him up and walked out). He is now 15 and I now live in fear of him getting them because I think it would be awful as a teen and now is the time when it seams like a lot of vaxxed kids get them. And he still has a retracted ear drum ;-)
#3 of 3 Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I used to think I would want to expose DD, but now I lean more towards if she gets it, she gets it.  She's 25mos, so not too young (although still below the typical age range, or at least what the range was when I was a kid) but I just don't know how I feel.  Back when I was a kid, it was pretty much a guarantee - someone in school got it and it would makes it's way around the class, so you didn't have to go looking for it, it came to you.  Now, it's a bit harder to find what with wild pox being slowly eradicated, and in the natural scheme of things, even 30 years ago, exposure wasn't a guarantee anymore than it is now.  I might be inclined to push exposure on DD in the future if things with exemptions become hairy and I want for her to have a positive titer, but I don't think I'd run out the door for exposure right now.  Honestly, at this point I worry more about ME and finding exposure for myself to ward off any chance of shingles since I did have pox as a kid.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page