Mandatory flu shots for children in NY? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just watching the news and the ticker at the bottom said that the New York Dept. of Health wants to do mandatory flu shots for all children under the age of five. How likely do you think it is that this will happen? So scary.....
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

they had a hearing on this and it was approved yesterday - as with the NY vaccine exemptions I'm not surprised by this :irked - Bloomberg appointed many on the health dept board anyway - glad to see a new mayor in January! and changes in other areas I hope too!

applejuice likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I read that too and think it is horrible.

applejuice likes this.
#4 of 13 Old 12-13-2013, 05:48 AM

Knowing NY's exemption policies I found that mandate very disturbing.  And people's comments of "well, you should just homeschool then" very uninformed...

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 13 Old 12-13-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, and I just heard that Bloomberg referred to people who are opposed to mandatory vaccines as "crazies" eyesroll.gif
applejuice likes this.
#6 of 13 Old 12-13-2013, 06:45 PM

My hubby is from NYC and we were considering moving there. . .but a while ago i decided no, in large part due to the vaccine rules. This is just added confirmation that we made the right call.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#7 of 13 Old 12-14-2013, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)

just for those who do not know, this new mandate only effects city run daycares not private ones, but NY state has one of the overall hardest exemption process in general - this just seems like a new stepping stone IMO to a state wide mandate :( 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#8 of 13 Old 12-14-2013, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Wow, we may have our issues here in CT but I don't think I could deal with the way NY does exemptions, just ridiculous.  Not to mention calling people crazies...Nothing irks me more than people in political/governmental positions imparting their opinions on others in how they do their work.  It's not his job to have an opinion - it's his job to be unbiased.   I work for a town hall and I see it every day with the Town Manager, kills me!

#9 of 13 Old 12-14-2013, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I anticipate a gradual brain drain in New York, as smart parents increasingly refuse to live there. Either that, or an increase in membership in Christian Science churches.

nia82 likes this.
#10 of 13 Old 12-15-2013, 03:04 PM

This made me so mad when I saw it on the news.  Of course, I have zero friends with whom I can rage about it because everyone I know seems to be part of the sheep herd when it comes to these issues.  I'm glad I don't live there.

#11 of 13 Old 01-09-2014, 09:32 PM

It's horrible but I am curious to see if flu rates increase in NY among children after they made the flu shots Mandatory....  

#12 of 13 Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessylove View Post

It's horrible but I am curious to see if flu rates increase in NY among children after they made the flu shots Mandatory....  

They'll do what they did with polio: redefine the definition/diagnosis AFTER making the vaccine mandatory. They will assume that, if you have been vaccinated with this year's flu shot but still present with flu-like symptoms, then it CAN'T be the flu. Because you were vaccinated.

It will be easy. As it is, they rarely test for influenza, uñless someone is deathly ill.

And the vast majority of people with flu-like illnesses do NOT have influenza.
sassyfirechick likes this.
#13 of 13 Old 01-10-2014, 12:31 PM

True, but I feel the vaccines may weaken the immune system to the point it's easier to catch the flu. You're  right on point it wouldn't shock me if they "redefined" it, however if you redefine something can it be only within the state or would they have to redefine it for all states? I honestly have no clue. 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page