Vit k yay or nay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering if any of you have any helpful links to information on the vit. K shot given at birth. Specifically the risks associated with the shot, the rate of reported side effects, do the benefits outweigh the potential risks? Did any of you decline the shot for your babies? Why or why not? Thanks for the help!
#2 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 AM

I wonder if any of our fellow Mothering moms have any input? BUMP!

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 08:21 AM

I have gotten it & declined it. This last time I got it, as I am personally aware of a case of HDN in my immediate social circle & it was both costly, involved radiation exposure (CAT scans) & terrifying. It was in a family that had always rejected the injection AND circumcised on the 8 day, still, their 6 child (a girl) developed hemorrhaging unexpectedly @ 1 month, the solution was many vitamin K shots.

Mercola has a decent article on it, even he rejects the idea that it causes leukemia.

The first child I had, I was not given a choice: if they have to start any IVs on your baby, there won't be a choice.
#4 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

We skipped it for DD, no high risk, no complications, wasn't something I was highly concerned about, so we skipped that and the abx eye ointment.

#5 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I skipped vitamin K for both my babies. I had read about the link to leukemia. Additionally, I always knew there must be a reason for EVERY BABY ON EARTH to be born with lower vitamin K levels than adults. Nature doesn't make a mistake with every single infant.

Later, I read this article about how thinner blood allows stem cells to move freely in an infant.

http://www.beyondconformity.co.nz/hilarys-desk/breastmilk_stem_cells

Also, make sure that the cord clamping is delayed for at least a minute, preferably longer, like five minutes.

Take2 likes this.
#6 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your experiences and providing great info with links! Much appreciated!
#7 of 11 Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 AM

I don't have any helpful links. I found it VERY difficult to find info on this. Had some from my midwife, but it was minimal. There is a total lack of info. My plan was to do the oral vit k unless there was a reason to do the injection. The birth was pretty traumatic, so i ended up doing the injected vit k.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#8 of 11 Old 01-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

They only do oral vitamin k here in Germany. It is given right after birth and then a second time at the 4 -6 weeks check up.   I got it for both my kids. Even my midwife recommended it and she is pretty nonvax. Since DD1 head got a little squished at birth, I did not even give it a second thought not to have it. We did decline the eye drops though. But with DD2, she spit it all right back out both times. So that made me wonder and I started to do some research but have not made up my mind yet whether to have it or not with my 3rd. I have a new doc and midwifes that I will interview about it.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#9 of 11 Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 PM

I've been debating this as well. My biggest concern is that the shot contains aluminum.

Research does not back up the leukemia link, so that's not a concern for me.

Have ordered the oral k1 online & we will most likely plan to use that instead. Apparently in Europe oral vit K is much more common where here only the shot is offered at most hospitals/birth centers. We've been told that if we wish to use oral vit. K instead of a shot we will need to sign a waiver and also administer it ourselves. I've found conflicting opinions on what the protocol should be for oral administration, but all agree that several doses are required.

In terms of safety of the shot, the best info I was able to find is from the packet insert. I wish I could find more info in terms of numbers/risk for adverse reactions:

"Benzyl alcohol as a preservative in Bacteriostatic Sodium Chloride Injection has been associated with toxicity in newborns. Data are unavailable on the toxicity of other preservatives in this age group. There is no evidence to suggest that the small amount of benzyl alcohol contained in Vitamin K1 Injection (Phytonadione Injectable Emulsion, USP), when used as recommended, is associated with toxicity."

"Hemolysis, jaundice, and hyperbilirubinemia in neonates, particularly those that are premature, may be related to the dose of Vitamin K1 Injection. Therefore, the recommended dose should not be exceeded (see ADVERSE REACTIONS and DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION)."

"WARNING: This product contains aluminum that may be toxic. Aluminum may reach toxic levels with prolonged parenteral administration if kidney function is impaired. Premature neonates are particularly at risk because their kidneys are immature, and they required large amounts of calcium and phosphate solutions, which contain aluminum."

"Deaths have occurred after intravenous and intramuscular administration." 

SOURCE: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=e8808230-2c44-44c6-8cab-8f29b6b34051

#10 of 11 Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Ahhh, I had no idea it had aluminum in it! Grrrr.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#11 of 11 Old 01-14-2014, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Me neither!! That whole post was pretty informative! Thank you. I got the vit K shot for all four of mine. I noticed jaundice as a side effect, now I'm wondering if we had declined the shot if we wouldn't have had issues with jaundice...
The last one was born rather quickly and had some bruising on his face so I'm not sure if in that type of situation the shot would be worth it...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page