You Gotta Know When to Hold 'Em - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm taking Kenny Rogers's advice. You gotta know when to hold 'em, fold 'em, walk away and RUN from a dumb vaccine article posted on Facebook. It is taking everything I have not to argue but I know it's not worth it! Please hold me back, ladies, before I say something I regret!!!! Ugh.
applejuice likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#2 of 15 Old 01-05-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)

Is it a Jenny McCarthy article?  Those seem to be going around right now….

If you do not have the time to engage articulately and/or the people posting are morons and/or assholes…I would stay far, far away…..

applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 15 Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Oo! Now I need to know what you're talking about lol.gif I totally relate, though. My hands are going numb from sitting on them in a heroic act of self-restraint.
applejuice likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 15 Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I bet it's about a pro-vax article full of fear mongering and inaccurate info!

applejuice likes this.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#5 of 15 Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

It's that Australian article about the girl whose crunchy mom didn't vaccinate her and she got every disease under the sun. It basically compares non-vaxxers to people who believe in crop circles at one point. BARF
applejuice likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#6 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
What? Crop circles aren't real? smile.gif
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

LOL that song always takes me back to college and the boyfriend I had who was in a fraternity and they always played that song at parties haha!!  Yah I felt the same way when the article kept popping up on my FB feed as more people shared it, ugh. That one and the Jenny McCarthy one! Needless to say I debated with a few people and did a little new years cleaning of my friends list :W

applejuice likes this.
#8 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 AM

I replied to it and was promptly told that parents who don't vaccinate are irresponsible and shouldn't have kids.  Ooops.  I always regret posting on those things.  

The article is so full of holes it's not even funny.  

applejuice likes this.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#9 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post

I replied to it and was promptly told that parents who don't vaccinate are irresponsible and shouldn't have kids.  Ooops.  I always regret posting on those things.  

:irked  Lovely.

The ignorance and hatred is appalling.  

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#10 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

And you know that thought process could go both ways but I don't go running around saying to my vaccinating friends (which is all of them) they shouldn't have kids if they intend to load them with drugs and chemicals.  Ridiculous!

applejuice and 3lilchunklins like this.
#11 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I was called a "killer" the last time I debated it on Facebook. I cried for a long time. I was pregnant. :-(

That's why I don't want to go there!!!
applejuice likes this.

joy.gif

#12 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Sometimes i like to "idiot bait" people with these kinds of issues. My general rule is that the more upset they are about it the more ignorant they probably are and those are the ones i like to have a little fun with. Though i have been hurt a few times.

applejuice likes this.
#13 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

The blog where that "article" (really, it's a combination marketing ploy/attack on vaccine critics) is called "Mamamia," and I read that the editor of Mamamia is funded by the NHMRC (National Health and Medical Council), which is part of the Australian government. 

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#14 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

And, yes, it's clear that the author put a lot of effort into painting vaccine critics as spaced-out, stupid, anti-science, gullible hippies--but by "admitting" that she used to be one, she's trying to add credibility to her supposed perspective.

Come on. How many 19-year-old mothers have you ever met who fit her description of herself?

"I was studying homeopathy, herbalism, and aromatherapy; I believed in angels, witchcraft, clairvoyants, crop circles, aliens at Nazca, giant ginger mariners spreading their knowledge to the Aztecs, the Incas, and the Egyptians, and that I was somehow personally blessed by the Holy Spirit with healing abilities. I was having my aura read at a hefty price and filtering the fluoride out of my water. I was choosing to have past life regressions instead of taking antidepressants. I was taking my daily advice from tarot cards. I grew all my own veg and made my own herbal remedies."

Interesting that she implies that she needs antidepressants.  I did some digging, and found a YouTube video by a woman with the same name, who looks the same, and who is also a music teacher in England.*  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B20Xr5cwEJI

*which does make you wonder why she's writing for an Australian blog...which is funded by a government that is locked in a VERY nasty battle with a group that wants freedom of vaccine choics.

applejuice, mom0810 and BeckyBird like this.
#15 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good for you. I find myself in the same boat almost daily and spent so much brainpower thinking of all of the things I want to say back, even if it is a lost cause. 

dalia likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page