Amy Parker's hit piece, "Growing Up Unvaccinated," deconstructed. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Welcome firemedic80, kyzar, VioletLove, and nowafox!  So nice to have so many newbies here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletLove View Post

Only if you have a Berkey (I think those have only been out for around a decade or less) or have access to a LOT of holy basil... speaking of which, it was only in the last decade that studies were done (in India) that showed holy basil could remove fluoride from water.

I'm pretty sure, but am not positive (having been born in '82, myself), that there wasn't a known way to filter fluoride when she was a child....

I never even thought of that!  If anyone can find out for sure, please post!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowafox View Post

the same Amy Parker - Amy Parker Fiebelkorn, MSN, Division of Viral Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, CDC.

As for the HPV I had a suspect PAP and they found precancerous cells caused by HPV. They had to do a biopsy and it was very quick. There was no 6 month wait and no fear of how I was going to explain to my children who were young at the time. And that was pre 1998 I think. It was very common.

I'm actually not convinced that they are the same person.  One is a piano teacher in rural England, supposedly mother of 3, and the other has degrees in nursing and public health, mentions no children, and lives in the US.   They do look similar, though.

Seems to me, if Ms. Fiebelkorn were going to pretend to be someone else, wouldn't she change her name?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OH, OH, OH!!  (Raising my hand here!)  You forgot that she didn't get sugar until she was 1.  How healthy is that??  And how many babies do you know got sugar before they were one? 

Old 01-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Could be, but they are both the same age and Amy Parker is Amy Parker Fiebelkorn's maiden name. Maybe she made up the whole story, who knows. Just seems very coincidental and while the pictures are limited there is a strong resemblance.

The whole story just seems very suspect and doesn't make sense to me.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyjo View Post

OH, OH, OH!!  (Raising my hand here!)  You forgot that she didn't get sugar until she was 1.  How healthy is that??  And how many babies do you know got sugar before they were one? 

Welcome aboard, Bettyjo!

More to the point, if she was breastfed, breast milk is about 7.5% sugars (lactose and oligosaccharides).  I wonder if she believes her mother produced sugar-free breastmilk?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowafox View Post

Could be, but they are both the same age and Amy Parker is Amy Parker Fiebelkorn's maiden name. Maybe she made up the whole story, who knows. Just seems very coincidental and while the pictures are limited there is a strong resemblance.

The whole story just seems very suspect and doesn't make sense to me.

I agree.

But let's assume, for simplicity's sake, that they are two different, completely unrelated women.

Let's assume that Amy Parker, the piano teacher, unvaccinated child of crunchy-granola-mom, etc., wrote that post for VoicesForVaccines out of the very best of intentions, because she earnestly believes that parents questioning/criticizing/delaying vaccines are cruel, thoughtless barbarians who believe in a variety of fairy tales, and who are endangering children everywhere because they dare to question safety/efficacy of an invasive procedure.

It's STILL sick and twisted.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Pure gold. Ohh yes mothering, you rule, once again.

treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg saynovax.gif vbac.gif buddamomimg1.png knit.gif modifiedartist.gif 2ndtri.gif sewmachine.gif read.gif crochetsmilie.gif

Happy healthy mama to Belladonna (5/10/10) hoping for my VBAC 1/20/14!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 PM

My pro-vaccine FB friend fanatics have been posting this right and left. What a JOY it was to come here and read this tonight! I have been sooooo tempted to say something but I long ago learned that trying to change a vaccinator is just as impossible as changing my mind about the horrors of vaccinations. It is just so darned frustrating to be up against so much big time Pharma and $$ that you see these stories -- instantly spot them as propaganda but the person posting them tells you not to believe in "anecdotal evidence" and "stories you read on the internet" even though that is the very back up they give their stance!

Sorry for the rant Cuss.gif -- I just grow so tired of reading such lies from what is obviously an full page Pharma ad disguised as a personal testimonial!

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 PM

Thank you so much for this article. You confirmed everything I suspected about that article, "Growing Up Unvaccinated".

I smelled a shill there from miles away.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzar View Post

i dont think you can filter out flouride either

It is my understanding that stage 5 reverse osmosis with storage tank can filter out fluoride.  www.amazon.com/ Reverse-Osmosis-Storage-Removes-Fluoride/ sim/ B002LHDL7E/ 2

(I am not at all sure?)

My sister, ( a DENTIST! ) , has one in her home and told me that it does. I know that the tech was around in the late 1980s.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 PM

Thank you for this brilliant piece of reason....  I smiled.

How many people will be fooled by this fabricated :internet gosopel" I wonder, written by AP ?
I was tempted to rewrite it myself and turn it around..... word for word.... about growing up with vaccines and medications and asthma and every virus and bug imaginable and then having a wakeup call after my second child got brain damage from her vaccines as a baby, and slowly but surely doing the research and discovering the way to healthy immune systems ever since.   Thanks to the sacrifice made by my daughter... and my subsequent unvaccinated two children are 150% healthier than my first two children ever were (for which I am eternally regretful and constantly apologize to them).  Yes indeed, I could write a similarly touchy-feely-crunchy piece that contained far more truth than Amy Parker's piece of fiction....

Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 PM

I am glad I accidentally found this!!

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents into the pot.  I was diagnosed with the "pre-cancerous HPV" about 6 years ago.  My doctor took care of it quickly by removing the infected areas (I have since learned that chances were great that my body would have just taken care of it on it's own).  He did not wait 6 months and he quickly calmed all my tears and fears when I hear that horrifying word "cancer" by letting me know, we will get it out and all will be fine.  6 Years later and regular exams, there has been no further problems.

It completely blows my mind what we are up against as parents, the level of ignorance and emotion caused by man made fear is unbelievable at times. People won't even listen to reason or common sense, probably because they will have to admit they might have been wrong.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome aboard, eyeswideopen, Elizabeth11, and Wheely2003!

Excellent points, all of you!  Please do start threads relating to your own experiences, so that there are many many calm, reasoned, and above all, FACTUAL anecdotes to balance the deceitful fiction.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 PM

Thank you for posting this. I posted your rebuttal as well as this link! You girls are super helpful! I've actually been looking at these posts the past few days on mothering.com and decided to join, I'm happy to have joined this group and I am also pretty impressed with the debate group.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Holy crap this section made me SMDH big time. How can you believe in witchcraft AND healing powers from the Holy Spirit at the same time? Believing in one negates the other. I would have found her more credible in this part if she had left her list at even half of those things lists. It was here that I decided the author was a certified lunatic or lying out her her.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 PM

Interesting thread! I actually hadn't read the original piece. I couldn't make it past the first few sentences. I can't stand that style of writing. . . I'm happy to read opposing view points when it is a study or discussion of fact. But, when it is just a rant that is designed to appeal to people's emotions, I am completely turned off. Sometimes I see anti-vaccine posts like that too and I can't stand those either. The technique that bothers me the most is when the writer inserts completely irrelevant bits withing seemingly relevant bits to try to make their point seem beefier. I guess some people fall for this, but when I see that, anything else the writer says is worthless to me. I am tempted to write a satire piece, but it probably isn't worth my energy. Bottom line, if I were pro-vax, I would be embarassed by this piece and certainly wouldn't spread it around.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 PM

Thank you so much for going to the work of writing this article. It's precisely what I've been searching the internet for for 2 days now! It's maddening how if a vaccine questioner posted an article like this it would be mauled for being anecdotal presumption, but when it's used by pro-vax blogs and websites it goes viral. I feel the worst for my young mom friends who read it without knowing to question anything. I will be sharing this!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 AM

Taximom, time to start a blog!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post
... instantly spot them as propaganda but the person posting them tells you not to believe in "anecdotal evidence" and "stories you read on the internet" even though that is the very back up they give their stance!

Sorry for the rant Cuss.gif -- I just grow so tired of reading such lies from what is obviously an full page Pharma ad disguised as a personal testimonial!

Oh my gosh, I want to write that down in a book of quotes, copy and paste it once a day on FB and make a pamphlet based on it, to mail to my oddly persistent pro-vaccination friend who sends me vaccine propaganda links all the time on FB (not to change my mind, *of course*, but because "she doesn't understand my point of view"... well, first of all, you could ask me and listen, rather than slamming my wall and PM box with paid-by garbage that I spot a mile away! :P end my rant).
LOVE THIS in it's truthful simplicity!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Here is another one I saw posted on facebook, and it reminded me of this thread: http://guggiedaly.blogspot.com/2014/01/growing-up-unvaccinated-voices-for.html

I sort of skimmed through it, I didn't actually read it thoroughly, I just thought it was interesting that I saw a friend posting it as counterpoint to the other article, which I saw was posted by many friends.

Yeah, and for this one, I can vouch for the author.  I've known her online for years.  She's certainly not working for a government agency with an agenda.  

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM

Amy Parker's website actually lists her birthplace and hometown as the US, not UK. She is also a paid contract fiction writer, which was not mentioned in her bio with her other occupation of piano teacher. Wonder why?

Mom to two kinda-sorta crunchy kidlets  

E (c-section) 7/11/10 & O (4 day VBAC!) 7/20/12

EBF, ERF, BW, BLW, NCB, VBAC, NV, BRB, LOL, LMAO, ROFLCOPTER

Albany Doula, a NY Capital Region birth & postpartum doula, birth educator, lactation counselor & placenta encapsulator! albanydoula.net

Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 AM

I'm really sad the article didn't do enough research to find her. Here she is several years earlier talking about her bipolar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku-N2RB32kE

This woman is a hyper manic low cycling bipolar individual. While not everything she says should be discounted. It is important to understand that bipolar individuals are black and white thinkers. It is nearly impossible for them to do things by degrees or believe things by degrees. In other words, the truth about her experience probably is somewhere between the two belief systems she shared--the mystical healthy place she thought she was living and the sick unhealthy place she now believes she was living in.

Her article is probably intended primarily as self-deception and the rest of society is simply a bystander. Black and White thinkers repaint there obviously gray lives in a sort of rewrite of their own stories. They find it therapeutic, because it washes away the gray that makes them so uncomfortable.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 AM

tinybirds, she is bipolar, which when left without a very strong support group leads individuals to spend their time constantly reinventing themselves.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 AM

I feel as if deconstructing that article is also a hit piece along with most every article i have read about "non-Vaccinated" people saying that the government and large pharma companies are just out to get you and only want to make money. Something that should be considered that i have not read anything about is human decency. While the big wigs at these companies are getting rich off the vaccinations the lower level developers and distributors are not they are working men and women, scientists who hold phD's have taken the Hippocratic oath and are truly working day in and day out to help people and rid the world of the worst types of sickness. Even though i know this post will have nothing but being bashed these are my thoughts take them as you will.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I deliberately did not discuss her bipolar issues in the OP, though i did post a link to her YouTube video down thread.

I don't know that those issues should be part of the discussion of her article. Assuming that it's not an Onion-style sarcasm piece, one would think that her article would have been read, researched, and edited by Voices For Vaccines, who published it, right? If they are presenting it as their own Anecdotal-Evidence-That Vaccine-Critics-Are-Crazy-Barbarians, then they must be comfortable with her official diagnosis and medical history, right?

Ethically speaking, though, I don't think it's right to take her medical/mental diagnosis and use it as an excuse to criticize her article.

I do wonder, though, if she's aware of the bipolar/autism link....

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/Autism/33589
MedPage Today, July 2, 2012
Study Links Autism, Bipolar, and Schizophrenia
Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionare View Post

I feel as if deconstructing that article is also a hit piece along with most every article i have read about "non-Vaccinated" people saying that the government and large pharma companies are just out to get you and only want to make money. Something that should be considered that i have not read anything about is human decency. While the big wigs at these companies are getting rich off the vaccinations the lower level developers and distributors are not they are working men and women, scientists who hold phD's have taken the Hippocratic oath and are truly working day in and day out to help people and rid the world of the worst types of sickness. Even though i know this post will have nothing but being bashed these are my thoughts take them as you will.

Welcome aboard, questionnaire!

I dont think anyone is going to bash your post. Nobody is saying that there aren't scientists who are trying to help people. In fact, the very industry we complain about is the same industry that produces many life saving medications and interventions.

But that's a totally different topic. Please do post it as a separate topic for discussion, in whichever forum you are comfortable ("I'm Not Vaccinating," Selective and Delayed Vaccination," "Vaccination Debate," or "Vaccinating On Schedule").

This thread is specifically discussing an article that consists almost entirely of exaggerations, misunderstandings, and falsehoods, along with not-so-subtly-veiled attacks on people daring to question and criticize a mandated invasive medical procedure.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionare View Post

scientists who hold phD's have taken the Hippocratic oath

"there is currently no legal obligation for medical students to swear an oath upon graduating"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath

It's done purely by choice either of the individual or the institution, and not all use the same oath.  So it's doesn't mean a whole lot if you're not required to do so.  These doctors, taking or not taking these oaths, have every right to question what they are told/taught and not to follow blindly.  The same information available to us is available to them if they so choose to seek it out.  If not? They are just as guilty as the big wigs by not doing due diligence and gathering up info on both sides and coming to a sound conclusion on their own.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

I think a few newbies are failing to read the forum guidelines.  This subforum is support only for those who are non-vax or thinking of becoming non-vax.  If you are not non-vax, may I suggest you read the guidelines on the vaccine debate board and post there.

Guidelines, copy and pasted:

"I'm Not Vaccinating - This is a support-only forum for those not or those seriously considering not vaccinating. Here we host discussion of issues that arise when choosing to not vaccinate and sharing of resources and information that are related to the no-vax decision. Members who are vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. "

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Flagged :thumb

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List