Amy Parker's hit piece, "Growing Up Unvaccinated," deconstructed. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 146 Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

You could also call this, "How To Write an an Article Bashing Vaccine Critics, in 10 Easy Steps."

Step 1) Paint yourself as a former member of the group you wish to attack ("them"), starting with the title, and continuing with every possible "crunchy" alternative to Western medicine.

Title:  "Growing Up Unvaccinated."

First paragraph:  "I wasn’t vaccinated. I was brought up on an incredibly healthy diet: no sugar till I was 1, breastfed for over a year, organic homegrown vegetables, raw milk, no MSG, no additives, no aspartame. My mother used homeopathy, aromatherapy, osteopathy; we took daily supplements of vitamin C, echinacea, cod liver oil."

Take it even further.

"I wasn’t even allowed pop; even my fresh juice was watered down to protect my teeth, and I would’ve killed for white, shop-bought bread in my lunchbox once in a while and biscuits instead of fruit, like all the other kids."

Step 2) Show how dangerous it is to be one of "them."

"As healthy as my lifestyle seemed, I contracted measles, mumps, rubella, a type of viral meningitis, scarlatina, whooping cough, yearly tonsillitis, and chickenpox.

Take it even further.

"In my 20s I got precancerous HPV and spent six months of my life wondering how I was going to tell my two children under the age of 7 that Mummy might have cancer before it was safely removed.)"

Step 3: Introduce a red herring, using the polarizing term "anti-vaccine advocates" instead of the more truthful "vaccine critics" or "vaccine questioners" or "vaccine safety advocates."

"So the anti-vaccine advocates’ fears of having the “natural immunity sterilized out of us” just doesn’t cut it for me." (Note: this is a red herring, because the concerns about vaccine safety are not that "the natural immunity is sterilized out of us." This is actually a very clever double entendre. There is some concern in the Philippines that vaccinating young women for tetanus (probably a DTP) resulted in a high rate of sterility amongst those young women. Some have questioned whether this was deliberate. But very few in the US are aware of this debate, and it's not a concern with US vaccines. What IS a concern is autoimmune reactions to vaccines.)

Step 4: Use personal anecdotes to imply that vaccination results in better health for all, and that lack of vaccination results in poor health for all.

"My two vaccinated children, on the other hand, have rarely been ill, have had antibiotics maybe twice in their lives, if that."

Step 5: Add denial of existence of any other side of the issue. 

"I struggle to understand why I know far more people who have experienced complications from preventable childhood illnesses than I have ever met with complications from vaccines." (And she knows the personal medical histories of people, HOW?)

Take it even further.

"I have friends who became deaf from measles. I have a partially sighted friend who contracted rubella in the womb. My ex got pneumonia from chickenpox. A friend’s brother died from meningitis." (Note: the author, age 37, was born around 1977, and would have grown up amongst the most vaccinated children in history. Since the occurrence of vaccine-preventable diseases was so low, and the rate of complications from such diseases even lower, [except for meningitis], it is highly unlikely that she is even telling the truth here.)

Step 6: Discredit "them" by painting your former self (as one of "them") as a vacuous, gullible cult devotee, with extreme beliefs and bizarre behavior.

"I was studying homeopathy, herbalism, and aromatherapy; I believed in angels, witchcraft, clairvoyants, crop circles, aliens at Nazca, giant ginger mariners spreading their knowledge to the Aztecs, the Incas, and the Egyptians, and that I was somehow personally blessed by the Holy Spirit with healing abilities. I was having my aura read at a hefty price and filtering the fluoride out of my water"

Take it even further.

"I was choosing to have past life regressions instead of taking antidepressants. I was taking my daily advice from tarot cards. I grew all my own veg and made my own herbal remedies."

Step 7: Imply that "they" are paranoid and delusional, and that "their" sort of thinking made you sick.

"It was only when I took control of those paranoid thoughts and fears about the world around me and became an objective critical thinker that I got well."

Take it even further.

"It was when I stopped taking sugar pills for everything and started seeing medical professionals that I began to thrive physically and mentally."

Step 8: Introduce another red herring, based on a false assumption.

"If you think your child’s immune system is strong enough to fight off vaccine-preventable diseases, then it’s strong enough to fight off the tiny amounts of dead or weakened pathogens present in any of the vaccines." (Note: one's ability to fight off a virus acquired in the community has nothing to do with one's predisposition to autoimmune and allergic reactions. So that's both a false assumption, AND a red herring, since most people criticizing vaccine safety are not worried about fighting off dead or weakened pathogens. They are concerned about autoimmune reactions, and the lack of understanding of those mechanisms in the medical community.)

Step 9: Imply that vaccine critics lack compassion and a sense of responsibility. Imply that they teach their children to be self-serving and unreasonably frightened. Imply that they disdain people with disabilities. But be very careful not to SAY so.  Extra points if you can sound like you are earnestly begging.

"I would ask the anti-vaxxers to treat their children with compassion and a sense of responsibility for those around them. I would ask them not to teach their children to be self-serving and scared of the world in which they live and the people around them. (And teach them to love people with autism spectrum disorder or any other disability supposedly associated with vaccines—not to label them as damaged.)" (I have to admit, that was brilliantly done.)

Take it even further.

"Most importantly, I want the anti-vaxxers to see that knowingly exposing your child to illness is cruel...I don’t know about you, but I don’t enjoy watching children suffer." (Also brilliant; she has just implied that vaccine critics are cruel, and enjoy watching children suffer.)

Step 10:  End by implying that all vaccine critics are leeching off of those who vaccinate. 

"Those of you who have avoided childhood illnesses without vaccines are lucky. You couldn’t do it without us pro-vaxxers."

Take it even further, and add a threat.

"Once the vaccination rates begin dropping, the drop in herd immunity will leave your children unprotected. The more people you convert to your anti-vax stance, the quicker that luck will run out."

And there you have it.  A formula to write a hit piece, disguising yourself as a former member of the group you wish to attack.

ETA:  There are several inconsistencies and errors in Ms. Parker’s little piece which also deserve mention.

1) UK residents in her age group were not given mumps vaccine. It wasn’t available in the UK until 1998:  http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/mmr-vaccine.aspx  So it was actually the norm for British children her age to get mumps.

2) The varicella vaccine, for chicken pox, has still not been added to the NHS pediatric vaccination schedule in the UK.  Virtually all children in her age group, as well as the age group of her own children, would have had chicken pox.

3) How does she know she had rubella? Rubella is considered a very mild disease, with many people having few or no symptoms.  If the characteristic rash occurs, it can look like many other viruses.  Doctors did not and do not test for it routinely.   The only real risk is to unborn babies exposed to rubella. http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/german_measles.html

3) There is no vaccine for scarlatina, which is a common form of strep infection. 

4) There is no vaccine for tonsillitis.

5)  There is no vaccine for viral meningitis.

6) I can find no reports that Queen Elizabeth I died of quinsy, as Ms. Parker claims. All historians suggest that she died of either arsenic poisoning from the white arsenic in her makeup or of old age (she was nearly 70 years old, which is about twice the expected life span for a woman in 1605 when she died). There are a few speculation of cancer.  No mention of quinsy.  http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/death-of-queen-elizabeth-i.htm

7)  Ms. Parker reports that, in her 20’s (she’s now around 37), she “got precancerous HPV and spent 6 months of my life wondering how I was going to tell my two children under the age of 7 that mummy might have cancer before it was safely removed.”  Well, first of all, HPV testing was not incorporated in the NHS’s cervical screening program until 2012.  Second of all, it seems unlikely that her doctor would wait 6 months to deal with that.

8)  Aspartame was not even approved in the UK until 1982.  Even at that time, it was not commonly added to anything but diet sodas, which were not recommended for children anyway.  She writes that her mother didn’t allow her “pop” anyway.

9)  Finally, I’m left wondering, how, if her mother was “the biggest health freak around” who “lived alternative health,” how on earth did Ms. Parker receive so many antibiotics that she became resistant to them? In her own words, she “got so many illnesses which needed treatment with antibiotics that I developed a resistance to them.”
Edited to add, 1/24/14

There was another article, published in April 2013 by The Guardian, that is suspiciously similar to Amy Parker's piece.

Take a look:  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/24/wish-my-daughter-vaccinated?view=mobile

Very similar formula, very similar writing style:

The author, Sophie Heawood, used to be "one of those who refused vaccinations," and she now "flinches with shame."

Paint yourself as a former member of the group you wish to attack ("them").  

She had a fridge full of organic vegetables!  And a washing machine!  

Oops, time to take it up a notch: she also breastfed, and read alternative health forums!

Show how dangerous it is to be one of "them". 

People move in from other countries, bringing dangerous diseases with them!

Aaand, take it up a notch: author's friends, when she was growing up, died of vaccine-preventable diseases.

Use personal anecdotes to imply that vaccination results in better health for all, and that lack of vaccination results in poor health for all.

Talk about pertussis. Her daughter caught pertussis!

Take it up a notch:  talk about how the whole family came down with pertussis. (But wait?  The whole family?  She never says that SHE grew up unvaccinated, or that her husband was unvaccinated, or that anybody else in the family was unvaccinated.  How did they ALL come down with pertussis?  Could it be that...the vaccine didn't work?)

Imply that vaccine critics lack compassion and a sense of responsibility.

Talk about how "disgusting it is to watch your child needlessly suffer."  (Sound familiar?)

Resume discussion that vaccination results in better health for all, and that lack of vaccination results in poor health for all.

Talk about diphtheria.  Dangerous.  Kills one in five. 

Take it up a notch: talk about picture of infant with neck swollen and ready to burst.  (Note: diphtheria is indeed a dangerous disease.  However, from 1986-1995, there were only 38 cases reported in the UK.  ONE case was reported in 2008.)

Talk about polio.

​Take it up a notch:  her parents have friends who still limp from polio. (But we don't know whether they got polio from the oral polio vaccine or from wild polio..)

Talk about meningitis.
 She had friends who died from meningitis! (But don't talk about which strain, how they might have gotten infected, what underlying medical conditions they might have had, whether they were treated properly by the doctors, etc. (Note:  yes, meningitis can be deadly.  But it's not accurate to say, as she does,  that it  has been effectively suppressed.  Vaccines only account for some strains, and efficacy for those covered strains is not really known, nor is it known how many cases of meningitis might be CAUSED by other vaccines.)

Re-paint yourself as a former member of the group you wish to attack (Remind us that she's "one of us.") 

She has a "hunch" that vaccines aren't good.

Take it up a notch: she's so scared of vaccines, her MOTHER has to take her child in for jabs. (Oh, yeah, that's REALLY convincing.)

Imply that all vaccine critics are leeching off of those who vaccinate. 
"And yet some of us are still coasting on herd immunity provided by other children, which is no longer enough, because of the growing number of people like me."

End with a threat.

Quote Roald Dahl's journal.  ""Got to hospital," he wrote in his diary. "Walked in. Two doctors advanced on me from waiting room. How is she? I'm afraid it's too late."

Same formula, isn't it?  It's just stirred up a bit. 

Interesting how both articles are from the UK.  The Lake District is, what, about 100 miles from Hackney (the suburb where Sophie Heawood is from)?  Oddly enough, Sophie Heawood's article did NOT appear on "Voices For Vaccines."  I wonder if she helped Amy Parker write her piece....

#2 of 146 Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
age 37, was born in 1987

Typo?

applejuice likes this.

#3 of 146 Old 01-06-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Typo?

Yes, indeed!  Well-spotted!  I've corrected it. Thanks!

applejuice likes this.
#4 of 146 Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Taximom, great work!!  You have successfully deconstructed the article, exposing it for what it truly is--a hit piece. What's worse, as you discovered, is this hit piece is found on a blog, where the editor is funded by the National Health and Medical Council, part of the Australian government. Good work on that too!

applejuice, mom0810 and Taximom5 like this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#5 of 146 Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wow, Taximom, that was great!

I think she's flat out lying in a lot of the article. It's just so over the top.

#6 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree- I think she is flat-out lying.  I saw her Youtube video where she talks about having bipolar.  It leaves me wondering how much of this article was written because she resisted Western medicine for so many years, and is now taking her pills... and so feels she owes her life to pharma and medicine, and feels a sense of wanting to be forgiven for turning away from it for so long?  I hope that makes sense...

I also think the article reads almost as if she were having a manic moment... I have a relative with bipolar and the rambly nature of it and all of the things she alludes to in the part where she's talking about all of her bizarre behaviours sounds all to familiar to me.  

The bottom line is that she is not credible in my opinion.  And the fact that her post appears in a government-sponsored, pro-vaccine blog?  Yeah.  Not buying it.  

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#7 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Taximom, great work!!  You have successfully deconstructed the article, exposing it for what it truly is--a hit piece. What's worse, as you discovered, is this hit piece is found on a blog, where the editor is funded by the National Health and Medical Council, part of the Australian government. Good work on that too!

yes Taxi! :clap:twothumbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post

The bottom line is that she is not credible in my opinion.  And the fact that her post appears in a government-sponsored, pro-vaccine blog?  Yeah.  Not buying it.  

IMO- I have see it here as well, to "some" 1977 is OLD let alone the 1960's or GASP! even the 1950's! …...so this woman (regardless what her mental state is or what ever problem(s) she has) writes this trash there will always be those who view this as "credible" and  will not look into who she is, or even fact check on the simplest level and the bad things is they will "trust" what she spews as FACT - that is the really sad part, so many view SO much as danger and fear that occurred in the past and someone who doesn't know much reads this and……….believes it ALL!

just so very wrong in so many way! 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#8 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I think people either believe or disbelieve whatever they read based on how it's written, more than the age of the writer.  You can have someone who is very young, but writes with skill, and forcefully, and people will believe it.

In her case, she is a very skillful writer--and also writes VERY compellingly.  The plea for "non-vaxxers" to learn to love people with ASD?  That comes off exactly the way she intends it:  she simultaneously paints vaccine critics as haters, while she presents herself as earnestly pleading with The Bad Guyz.  Absolutely masterful.  And chilling, when you think about it, because it's a VERY effective way of polarizing vaccine critics.

It's the propaganda formula she uses that gives her away.

1. Identify as a reformed ex-member of The Bad Guyz.

2. Discredit The Bad Guyz by using lies and half-truths.

3. Deny ANY possible plausability of any perspective of The Bad Guyz.

4. Throw in red herrings and strawman arguments to make it look like you are considering all possibilities.

5. Demonize The Bad Guyz.

6. Present The Bad Guyz as a threat to society.

We all know that we've seen this before in history.

Amy Parker might be a real person, but I think she's being used for political purposes.  Either someone else is writing under her name, or she actually wrote the piece, but under the guidance of an expert from Big Pharma/Politics.

I did some searching on propaganda, and found a reference to a very interesting book, Manufacturing Consent:  The Political Economy of the Mass Media.  This book describes the media in a very different way thant he media presents itself. 

Here is what Wikipedia had to say: 

So, how does propaganda function in mass media?  Well according to Wikipedia, Herman and CHomskay say that the propaganda model explains "how populations are manipulated and how consent for economic, social and political policies is "manufactured" in the public mind due to this propaganda.

The theory posits that the way in which news is structured (through advertisingmedia ownership, government sourcing and others) creates an inherent conflict of interest which acts as propaganda for undemocratic forces."

And the news media, which most of us grew up believing had delivery of the truth as their mission?

"...the "propaganda model" views the private media as businesses interested in the sale of a product—readers and audiences—to other businesses (advertisers) rather than that of quality news to the public. Describing the media's "societal purpose", Chomsky writes, "... the study of institutions and how they function must be scrupulously ignored, apart from fringe elements or a relatively obscure scholarly literature".[1] The theory postulates five general classes of "filters" that determine the type of news that is presented in news media. These five classes are:

1. Ownership of the medium
  2. Medium's funding sources
  3. Sourcing
  4. Flak
  5. [Anti-communism and] fear ideology."

Ok, anti-communism is not the issue hear--but fear ideology certainly is!

And flak--omg, look what Chomsky and Herman have to say about Flak! 

Flak is described as  "efforts to discredit organizations or individuals who disagree with or cast doubt on the prevailing assumptions which Chomsky and Herman view as favorable to established power."

"Flak is characterized by concerted efforts to manage public information."

Go to http://www.chomsky.info/onchomsky/2002----.htm and there's more discussion of this.

"Business organisations regularly come together to form flak machines."

"The demonisation of enemies is useful, essential even, in justifying strategic geopolitical manoeuvring and the defence of corporate interests around the world, while mollifying home-based critics of such behaviour."

All beautifully illustrated by Amy Parker's hit piece.

#9 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Many evil people throughout history have been very eloquent in speech and writing.  Great breakdown!

I still laugh every time I come across this section: "I was studying homeopathy, herbalism, and aromatherapy; I believed in angels, witchcraft, clairvoyants, crop circles, aliens at Nazca, giant ginger mariners spreading their knowledge to the Aztecs, the Incas, and the Egyptians, and that I was somehow personally blessed by the Holy Spirit with healing abilities. I was having my aura read at a hefty price and filtering the fluoride out of my water".  That's like straight out 'let me google everything possible that would be considered alternative/hippy/crunchy and throw it into one long run on sentence'! :rotflmao

#10 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post
"I was studying homeopathy, herbalism, and aromatherapy; I believed in angels, witchcraft, clairvoyants, crop circles, aliens at Nazca, giant ginger mariners spreading their knowledge to the Aztecs, the Incas, and the Egyptians, and that I was somehow personally blessed by the Holy Spirit with healing abilities. I was having my aura read at a hefty price and filtering the fluoride out of my water".

Yes, and what strikes me is that most people who believe in the Holy Spirit are warned against using witchcraft and clairvoyants.

And, what's wrong with growing your own edible garden? At one point in time, our country actually promoted gardening and self-sufficiency. I guess it's a waste of time to garden, and a waste of money to buy organic, because this former hippie is telling us it's all pointless woo.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#11 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 PM

Well I guess I went the opposite way - my parents loaded the sugar, fast food, and non-organic foods into us; witchcraft and clairvoyants? Yes very taboo in a catholic home!  But somehow I found my way to hippie!!  :thumb  And uh, chicken pox...yah I had that and since the "author" has a whopping 5 or 6 years on me its really no surprise she did too.

#12 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, and what strikes me is that most people who believe in the Holy Spirit are warned against using witchcraft and clairvoyants.

Yeah, I was totally scratching my head at that one.

#13 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I do not know how this person KNOWS anyone who became deaf after measles since measles was disappearing for years before she was born; measles in incidence was rarely reported after 1973.

As for deafness, a comtemporary of Amy Parker, Heather Whitestone Cummins, Miss America 1994-5, became deaf as a baby after a high fever and reaction to the DwPT vaccine she received around 1973-5. She succeeded in life because her parents saw to it that she got an excellent education. http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/19/us/first-deaf-miss-america.html

The first reports about Heather's deafness did report that she became deaf after the DwPT vaccine reaction. Most recent accounts of her as the first deaf Miss America leave out why and how she became deaf. No mention here in this article...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_Whitestone... Drug companies and the CDC and FDA quickly scrambled when the first reports came out that the new Miss America "became deaf as a result of her reaction to the DwPT vaccine as a baby".

Note, however, in 1996, the aP portion replaced the very reactive wP portion of the DPT, so they knew it all along.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#14 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

I do not know how this person KNOWS anyone who became deaf after measles since measles was disappearing for years before she was born; measles in incidence was rarely reported after 1973.

As for deafness, a comtemporary of Amy Parker, Heather Whitestone Cummins, Miss America 1994-5, became deaf as a baby after a high fever and reaction to the DwPT vaccine she received around 1973-5. She succeeded in life because her parents saw to it that she got an excellent education. http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/19/us/first-deaf-miss-america.html

The first reports about Heather's deafness did report that she became deaf after the DwPT vaccine reaction. Most recent accounts of her as the first deaf Miss America leave out why and how she became deaf. No mention here in this article...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_Whitestone... Drug companies and the CDC and FDA quickly scrambled when the first reports came out that the new Miss America "became deaf as a result of her reaction to the DwPT vaccine as a baby".

Note, however, in 1996, the aP portion replaced the very reactive wP portion of the DPT, so they knew it all along.

I had NO idea.

Applejuice, maybe you could also post this as an independent thread?  I think this is very important information, and obviously the press has suppressed this.  Might be a good idea to get this out there...

applejuice and blessedbyblues like this.
#15 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe we can collate all the errors and inconsistencies made in Amy's little hit piece.  Feel free to add whatever errors, inconsistencies, holes, etc. that you find!

1) Aspartame was not even approved in the UK until 1982, when the author was around 5.  According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Coke, Diet Coke was launched in 1986.  Back then, it was targeted to women, not to children.

2) Since there was no mumps vaccine in the UK until 1988, it was the norm for children to get mumps.

3) How does she know she had rubella as a child?  No doctor ever tests for it, and most cases are extremely mild, even asymptomatic.  The only danger is to unborn children.

4) There is no vaccine for scarlatina, which is a form of strep.

5) There is no vaccine for tonsillitis.

6) The chicken pox vaccine was not introduced in the US until 1995. It is still not part of the UK schedule, due to concerns about increased incidence of shingles in vaccinated individuals.

7) According to  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoridation_by_country, only about 10% of England's population receives fluoridated water.  

8)  She does a great description of the suffering caused by vaccine-preventable illnesses.  I wonder if anybody realizes that the description of severe adverse reaction to vaccines is...identical?  Here is her description:
"Pain, discomfort, the inability to breathe or to eat or to swallow, fever and nightmares, itching all over your body so much that you can’t stand lying on bedsheets, losing so much weight you can’t walk properly, diarrhea that leaves you lying prostrate on the bathroom floor, the unpaid time off work for parents, the quarantine, missing school, missing parties, the worry, the sleepless nights, the sweat, the tears, the blood, the midnight visits to the emergency room, the time sitting in a doctor’s waiting room on your own because no one will sit near you because they’re rightfully scared of those spots all over your face."

Any Gardasil families here on MDC? Or how about the families of those who have suffered vaccine-induced brain damage, or severe autoimmune disorders?  Or seizure disorders?

#16 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Or seizure disorders?

My husband suffered seizures for years as a child, which we believe was the result of the DPT. When I read him a list of possible side effect from A Shot in the Dark he had almost all of them. He has reacted to other vaccines as well and tells me that he felt like he was going to die after getting them but doesn't remember which ones specifically.

#17 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 06:42 PM

I had whooping cough, tonsilitis, hepatitis A, measles, mumps, rubella, the flu, chicken pox, and meningitis,  so did my eight younger siblings. 

They were not fun, but none of us ended up at the hospital or ER. Since my mom had these diseases, she knew how to diagnose them, treat themand what to expect; my maternal grandmother was an RN, and my father was a chiro. Rest, fluids, vitamin C, helped get us well.

My children only had chicken pox.  Editted, to say, my niece and my youngest had measles, but the young, inexperienced intern could not recognize it, but the older doctor did; that intern is a doctor today, misdiagnosing rashes and fevers everywhere.

In How to Raise A Healthy Child, ... by Dr. Robert S. Mendelsohn there is information on how to recognize and treat these diseases and when to seek help.  Honestly, most doctors in practice today would not know.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#18 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 PM

She says she had viral meningitis; antibiotics cannot treat viral meningitis or any other viral disease. 

There is no vaccine for viral meningitis; the vaccine is for only 2 or 4 types of BACTERIAL meningitis, and there are over 100 other types of bacterial meningitis for which there is NO vaccine.  There is also fungal meningitis for which there is no vaccine.  Her parents were not very crunchy if they were taking her in for antibiotics all of the time, to the point at which she developed a resistance to them. That seems to be child abuse or malpractice.

The parenthesized section makes no sense. How could she get an old-fashioned disease that killed a Queen, - which was wiped out by the use of antibiotics - but the disease is penicillin resistant - ?  If a disease is penicillin resistant, very few antibiotics can be used to treat it, and then only carefully and watchfully.

Quote:
 My two vaccinated children, on the other hand, have rarely been ill, have had antibiotics maybe twice in their lives, if that (not like me who got so many illnesses which needed treatment with antibiotics that I developed a resistance to them, which led me to be hospitalized with penicillin-resistant quinsy at 21–you know that old fashioned disease that killed Queen Elizabeth I and which was almost wiped out through use of antibiotics).
tunskit and Taximom5 like this.

#19 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM

S

#20 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Applejuice, I am SO glad you mentioned that!

As you quoted Ms. Parker,  
Quote:

My two vaccinated children, on the other hand, have rarely been ill, have had antibiotics maybe twice in their lives, if that (not like me who got so many illnesses which needed treatment with antibiotics that I developed a resistance to them, which led me to be hospitalized with penicillin-resistant quinsy at 21–you know that old fashioned disease that killed Queen Elizabeth I and which was almost wiped out through use of antibiotics).

According to, nhs.uk, "Quinsy, also known as a peritonsillar abscess, is a complication of tonsillitis that is left untreated.  The abscess (collection of pus) forms between one of your tonsils and the wall of your throat. This can happen when an infection spreads from an infected tonsil to the surrounding area."

Does Ms. Parker actually believe that tonsillitis and its complications have been almost "wiped out by antibiotics?"

Also, there's more than a bit of contradiction here.  Her mother was super-crunchy, "lived alternative health," "used aromatherapy, homeopathy, and osteopathy," and turned down vaccines.  When did Ms. Parker get treated with so many antibiotics that she developed a resistance to them?  If quinsy is caused by NOT treating tonsillitis with antibiotics, how did Ms. Parker end up with antibotic-resistant tonsillitis?

Second of of all, I couldn't find ANY mention on line of Queen Elizabeth dying of quinsy.  Or even HAVING quinsy.  Not even when I googled "Queen Elizabeth quinsy."

According to this website http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/death-of-queen-elizabeth-i.htm

"The cause of the death of Queen Elizabeth was not confirmed as there was no post mortem. She was generally believed to have died of blood poisoning possibly caused by the application of the white make-up called ceruse - a mixture of white lead and vinegar, which was poisonous! Other possibilities are cancer or quite simply old age."

Queen Elizabeth was nearly 70 years old when she died, which, by the standards of 1603, was EXTREMELY old. 

#21 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

8)  She does a great description of the suffering caused by vaccine-preventable illnesses.  I wonder if anybody realizes that the description of severe adverse reaction to vaccines is...identical?  Here is her description:
"Pain, discomfort, the inability to breathe or to eat or to swallow, fever and nightmares, itching all over your body so much that you can’t stand lying on bedsheets, losing so much weight you can’t walk properly, diarrhea that leaves you lying prostrate on the bathroom floor, the unpaid time off work for parents, the quarantine, missing school, missing parties, the worry, the sleepless nights, the sweat, the tears, the blood, the midnight visits to the emergency room, the time sitting in a doctor’s waiting room on your own because no one will sit near you because they’re rightfully scared of those spots all over your face."

Replace the bolded section with "weeks spent crying and holding a screaming baby, alone, because your pediatrician denies the symptoms are vaccine injuries and tells you to go ahead and eat some cheese while you nurse your dairy intolerant newborn....which she also denies that dairy is the issue" and you've got me!

I'm an early 80's baby and may very well have had many other things besides CP (assumably I'm immune to rubella because it never came up as an issue during my pregnancy) but even in a non-crunchy home we did not rush out to doctors for diagnosis and testing of every sniffle as she so clearly would have done to diagnose and receive antibiotics for all these issues.  And even pre-crunchy me - during my stint as a pre-vet student - even then I was pretty against antibiotics because of the risk of creating resistance.

As for issues with the article: "If you think your child’s immune system is strong enough to fight off vaccine-preventable diseases, then it’s strong enough to fight off the tiny amounts of dead or weakened pathogens present in any of the vaccines." Well, I have no problem with my child potentially contracting chicken pox, and as much as it would suck, even whooping cough doesn't keep me up at night.  BUT - when in the hell is anyone, out "in the wild", going to simultaneously contract pertussis, diphtheria, tetanus, HIB, polio, and pneumococcal with some rotavirus thrown in for good measure?!?! Because that's a fairly standard course for 2mo babies nowadays yet I'm pretty sure mother nature never intended for it to happen that way.

#22 of 146 Old 01-07-2014, 09:43 PM

Amy Parker seems very confused. Someone with some knowledge of disease and treatments should have proofread her piece before it went on line.

#23 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

Amy Parker seems very confused. Someone with some knowledge of disease and treatments should have proofread her piece before it went on line.

But she says she is thriving mentally!  Because she has started seeing medical professionals!

"It was when I stopped taking sugar pills for everything and started seeing medical professionals that I began to thrive physically and mentally."

applejuice and VioletLove like this.
#24 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 AM

:lol

#25 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

So that is who took all my sugar pills! :winkAppleMark

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#26 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fantastic reply!  I've shared it with others already discussing the article.

This was a more diplomatic reply to a pro-vax friend who asked for thoughts on the original Parker article:

Quote:
Wow. I've never heard of a person whose contracted so many infectious diseases in their childhood: measles, mumps, rubella, a type of viral meningitis, scarlatina, whooping cough, yearly tonsillitis and chickenpox...precancerous HPV.

You ever heard of
 anyone getting this sick before?

It makes me suspicious that she contracted this many infections as a child, which all happen to be ones that you can get vaccinated for. 

I know many who didn't vaccinate or who didn't get the full courses and were fine (Yasmin included, only got diphtheria and tetanus and never had any of the those listed by the author.)

Also, I can`t speak about aromatherapy and the other alt med, but she must've seen a really bad homeopath. If she were treated by a good one, her infections would've resolved quickly and her overall health and immunity would've improved with each acute infection thereby gradually limiting her susceptibility to future infections. 

I recently treated a four-year-old girl who had scarlet fever 4 times within few months (as diagnosed by doctor). Each time, she was treated with a course of antibiotics for 10 days, was fine and then the infection returned a few days later. After the fourth round of antibiotics, the mom contacted me to treat her because a fever returned. Within two doses of the right homeopathic remedy, her daughter regained her health. Its been about 5 months now and she`s had no reoccurrence. 

There's a lot more to say about this article, esp. that on the surface it seems a well-written and credible anecdotal piece, but, with some circumspection, it becomes apparent, to me at least, that the piece seemingly seeks to discredit anything and everything alternative only (notice not a positive thing was attributed to the parents' lifestyle choices, not even the organic foods, thus leaving us only with the innuendo that even a whole foods natural organic diet is useless in disease prevention?) and continues to discredit alternative therapies by associating them with the supernatural, mystical, etc. ("i believed in angels, witchcraft, clairvoyants, crop circles, aliens at Nazca, giant ginger mariners spreading their knowledge to the Aztecs, the Incas and the Egyptians, and that I was somehow personally blessed by the Holy Spirit with healing abilities. I was having my aura read at a hefty price and filtering the fluoride out of my water. I was choosing to have past life regressions instead of taking antidepressants. I was taking my daily advice from tarot cards."). 

In the end, the article seems, to me, to serve the greater agenda of endorsing everything conventional, i.e., vaccinations are good, fluoride in water is good, etc., because, in her singular experience, it's validated by "facts and evidence-based science" (of which you're now seeing has some ethical biasing issues).

Wow, sorry, didn't mean to run on like that but, though the article may be true to the author's account, the more I read, the more I skeptical I became.
#27 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Here is another one I saw posted on facebook, and it reminded me of this thread: http://guggiedaly.blogspot.com/2014/01/growing-up-unvaccinated-voices-for.html

I sort of skimmed through it, I didn't actually read it thoroughly, I just thought it was interesting that I saw a friend posting it as counterpoint to the other article, which I saw was posted by many friends.

applejuice likes this.
#28 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddying View Post

Fantastic reply!  I've shared it with others already discussing the article.

This was a more diplomatic reply to a pro-vax friend who asked for thoughts on the original Parker article:

Thank you!  I'm thrilled that you shared it.  Please share away, all!  And the diplomatic reply was terrific.

Question:  since people ARE sharing this (which is great), should I edit the original post to include all the inconsistencies listed further down thread?

applejuice likes this.
#29 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Here is another one I saw posted on facebook, and it reminded me of this thread: http://guggiedaly.blogspot.com/2014/01/growing-up-unvaccinated-voices-for.html

I sort of skimmed through it, I didn't actually read it thoroughly, I just thought it was interesting that I saw a friend posting it as counterpoint to the other article, which I saw was posted by many friends.

Ooh, that's a really good one!   Why don't you post it again as its own thread?  It might get even more views that way.  It's a great counterpoint to Ms. Parker's piece.

applejuice likes this.
#30 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Whew!  Thank goodness I found this group and this thread.  I read this Amy Parker article today and it's been pissing me off all day.  I really appreciate the breakdown discrediting it, thanks!  One other thing I wanted to add,  the part where she mentions  that for 6 months 'she might have cancer'.  I could be wrong, but find this odd.  When I had an ultrasound that showed a suspicious lump in my breast, I was given an appointment for a biopsy the next day and had my results (not cancer) in less than 2 weeks.  I find it strange that she'd have to wait this long for a diagnosis, but I could be wrong. 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page