AAP's "Refusal to Vaccine" form - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you know that the AAP apparently has a refusal to vaccinate form? I used to get harassed at every pediatrician appt, but we just moved and the new pedi used this instead. We're planning to move again soon so I plan to just sign it before we go in and give it to them with our other forms.

I couldn't attach it here, so I'll put it on a hidden page of my website when I get home tonight. You can access it at MandiTheDoula.com/novax. =)

Update: Ma2Two posted a better link: http://www2.aap.org/immunization/pediatricians/pdf/refusaltovaccinate.pdf
applejuice and mwalkermoody like this.

Wife to an Air Force bomb disposal technician since June 2008

Mama to a breastfed, family-bed-sleeping, cloth-diapered, non-vaccinated, baby-worn, beautiful little lady, born April 2012 after 3 LONG years trying to conceive

Praying for another baby and a successful home water birth after cesarean...
#2 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I couldn't get your link to work.  :(  Did a character get left off of your hyperlink?

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Here's the form, and there's no way I would sign it without significantly altering it.

http://www2.aap.org/immunization/pediatricians/pdf/refusaltovaccinate.pdf

I take my kids to a family practice doctor, not a pediatrician. He's never given me any problem about not vaccinating. He's never asked me to sign anything.

applejuice and blessedbyblues like this.
#4 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Didn't work here either but sounds like an insurance mandated thing.  We finally broke ties (officially) with our original pediatrician after much harassing about how often she *needed* to see DD.  Well when I requested that all paperwork be sent to me rather than the ND's where we now go (not that I think she even wants it because her records are FAR more thorough) I was a bit surprised to see how we were categorized on her paperwork.  DD was listed as "non-compliant" in the section regarding vaccines and "patient refusal" showed up several times.  More frustrating was the fact that nowhere on there did it mention her vaccine reactions that were brought to the ped's attention, nor her oat allergy.  All basically to cover her ass in the eyes of her insurance provider with no regard to my child's health.  I simultaneously laughed at how ridiculous it was and wanted to call her office and ream her out because I was so angry at the notion that my child was somehow a rebel or a criminal!

Thankfully I love our ND, she doesn't do vaccine so no refusal forms, no initialing that I somehow denied my child a lifesaving preventative measure...no more BS!  I would honestly never sign a refusal again.  If they won't sign that my child won't be harmed (again!), why should I be held up as the bad guy for refusing?

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I take my kids to a family Dr. as well. He's really cool about our decision. He has never asked me to sign anything either. Idk if this is the same form but I had heard that if you sign a refusal form than CPS *can* take your kids for 24 hours (I think it might have been 48) while they investigate you. If the law doesn't require signing a refusal form, I wouldn't do it.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#6 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

I've never heard of CPS removing children from the home for informed refusal of vaccines…  I'm comfortable signing it because although we chose not to vaccinate due to the risks associated with vaccines, we also understand that there are associated with not vaccinating and I'm comfortable acknowledging them.  To each their own, I suppose.

applejuice likes this.

Wife to an Air Force bomb disposal technician since June 2008

Mama to a breastfed, family-bed-sleeping, cloth-diapered, non-vaccinated, baby-worn, beautiful little lady, born April 2012 after 3 LONG years trying to conceive

Praying for another baby and a successful home water birth after cesarean...
#7 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandiTheDoula View Post

I've never heard of CPS removing children from the home for informed refusal of vaccines…  I'm comfortable signing it because although we chose not to vaccinate due to the risks associated with vaccines, we also understand that there are associated with not vaccinating and I'm comfortable acknowledging them.  To each their own, I suppose.

Oh, it's happened:

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/blogs.detail/display/783/Pennsylvania-social-worker-and-hospital-face-HSLDA-lawsuit-after-seizing-custody-of-newborn.html

And mainstream news has censored it. But you can find the court case information on line, so it definitely happened.
applejuice likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Ugh.  That's more a fear for me (some sort of state involvement or dropping us from insurance or some other such nonsense) than most VPD's.

applejuice and 3lilchunklins like this.
#9 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 03:01 PM

The letter preceding the form was very intersting. It stated that 11 percent of parents refuse or delay at least one shot. That is more than I realized and quite encouraging!
applejuice likes this.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#10 of 11 Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM

http://www.vaclib.org/legal/donotsign.htm
#11 of 11 Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandiTheDoula View Post

CPS will remove children from the family home for refusal of vaccinations and this is often this is with another reason or complaint that is trumped up.  This will depend on how the refusal or delay  of vaccinations comes to the attention of authorities. The reason that you have never heard of children being removed for informed lack or delay of vaccines is because the parents are harassed and embarrassed on the process and want to put it behind them.

Any parent can be accused of any abuse or neglect of a child and the parent is considered guilty simply because of the accusation of abuse or neglect until proven not guilty; fourth, fifth, and sixth amendments be damned.  This is perfectly legal because the cases are not considered criminal and are heard in family courts, not criminal.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page