Am I too.late? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 4 year old dd and a 2 year old ds. They are both up to date on their vaccinations but I'm feeling like I don't want to do any more. I never do the flu shot and I will absolutely not do the HPV shot. I'm just wondering if I'm too late and it's not worth the hassle at this point. I know between 4 and 6 is when they get the next round of shots and I'm leaning toward skipping them for both kids. Am I just being ridiculous?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Of course it's not too late to stop. We'll still let you in our nonvaxers club. :wink

It's impossible to a have an adverse reaction to a vaccine not given!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Instead of another vaccination, you can request a titer, where they will draw blood and test it for antibodies to any of the diseases for which your child received vaccines.

This is particularly important for the MMR, where they require 2 doses, but the booster dose is ONLY on the schedule because 5% of those who received the first dose did not develop antibodies.  The other 95% are SUPPOSED to have lifetime immunity.

So if your child is one of the 95%, the booster dose is unnecessary.  And the schools (and the doctors) are supposed to accept a positive titer result in lieu of vaccination.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You'll still have to sign an exemption for the other vaccines required for school, but the benefit of getting a MMR titer is that your children won't be excluded from school in the unlikely event of a measles or mumps outbreak.

I think all schools accept a MMR titer, and probably chickenpox as well. They don't accept titers for all the diseases. I know they don't for pertussis.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I think there's a good chunk of us on here who started off vaxxing on schedule or delayed/selectively and stopped for various reasons.  You could look at it this way - if you had heart disease from a poor diet you could say "oh well damage is done" and continue on making the same choices, or, you could wake up one morning and decide to make a change for the better. Titering is a great starting point for change as you can physically see results and go from there.  It's where I started with my dogs which then lead me to stopping vaxxes for my DD (that and some adverse reactions)!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much for the replies. I think I will go ahead and start with the titers. I'm pretty sure I'm done with vaccines though, no matter what the results. I just can't bring myself to believe that I'm doing the right thing by continuing to inject viruses and chemicals into their bodies. I'm so picky about what they eat and drink but I'm gonna put that crap in them. Just doesn't make sense to me! And I don't think I will vax any future children. If I do it will be delayed and selective. Thanks again :-)

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List