Michelle Malkin: In Defense of Parents With Informed Vaccine Skepticism - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/03/24/in-defense-of-parents-with-informed-vaccine-skepticism/

This, too, is from 2008 (it's quoted in the AoA post in the other thread).

"Well, what constitutes “genuine medical reason?” And which vaccines are we talking about? All of them? For all time? Not all vaccines are equal. And if you leave it to the medical establishment and Big Nanny public school officials to determine the definition of “genuine medical reason,” then any parent who questions any vaccine administration at any time in a child’s life will be deemed a “bad” parent and “bad” citizen."  (bolding mine)

Apparently, she's seen some of the same kind of doctors that many of us have seen (sadly), starting with the hospital staff for her newborn:

"When we told the hospital staff that we simply wanted more time to think about giving the Hep B shot to our son – doesn’t “informed consent” mean we should be truly informed? – we were badgered aggressively."

Her pediatrician sounds absolutely terrible--just like the ones many of us have experienced:

"Our doctor, however, pooh-poohed our inquiries about potential side effects. He seemed to have no idea what those risks were and no interest in finding out. He was also incredibly condescending: “95 percent of what you read on the Internet” is unreliable, he sermonized, as if we were too dumb to separate scientific fact from fraud."

It sounds like she was more confident in the results of her own research than many of us were in the beginning:

"I reiterated my refusal of Hep B, accepted DTaP and HiB, and asked to put off polio and Prevnar. In response, I received a threat: Get all the vaccines or get out of our practice.

“Informed consent”? Ha. This was uninformed coercion.

We’re leaving for another practice, a little bitter but wiser. The strong-arm tactics of the medical establishment mustn’t intimidate parents from challenging the universal vaccine orthodoxy. When it comes to protecting our children’s health, skepticism is the best medicine."

I had no idea that she had had that perspective.  Does she still have it?  Has she written about vaccines since then?  It sounds like she avoided the risk of the kinds of health and developmental problems some of us experienced due to vaccines.  Did she join us in being concerned about the risks--and then, having avoided them, then distance herself from other parents with the same concerns?

#2 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thank you for posting that. Good for Michelle Malkin.

I am often politically confused because I find myself agreeing with some conservatives on health items like this because they generally do not like the government intrusion into certain parts of their lives that they feel should be a family or private concern.  Other times conservatives drive me nuts.  Liberals tend to be anti-corporate and pro-environment and they may be against vaccines too; liberals tend to invite too much government manipulation of my life though; in my state, I cannot save rainwater for my own use!

That has been a lifelong confusion/struggle for me.

Other media types that have come down against mandatory vaccines are Rush Limbaugh, Tammy Bruce, George Noory. -gag- There are others, but I cannot recall them now. 

Most media types are walking the pharma line.

Jennyanydots likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I'm shocked in so many ways - NOT her fan but WOW! I do know someone I need to pay this to - thanks! 

applejuice likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 8 Old 01-18-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hate that I agree with her LOL!!! I wonder what her thoughts are now and whether she is still vocal about it.
applejuice likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 8 Old 01-19-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

Thank you for posting that. Good for Michelle Malkin.

I am often politically confused because I find myself agreeing with some conservatives on health items like this because they generally do not like the government intrusion into certain parts of their lives that they feel should be a family or private concern.  Other times conservatives drive me nuts.  Liberals tend to be anti-corporate and pro-environment and they may be against vaccines too; liberals tend to invite too much government manipulation of my life though; in my state, I cannot save rainwater for my own use!

That has been a lifelong confusion/struggle for me.

Other media types that have come down against mandatory vaccines are Rush Limbaugh, Tammy Bruce, George Noory. -gag- There are others, but I cannot recall them now. 

Most media types are walking the pharma line.

I know how you feel. I'm a christian too, and a pro choice one at that, so it gets all kinds of weird for me, haha.
applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#6 of 8 Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

That you littlec. 

I am not Christian, I am a Jew. I am pro choice but I would never get an abortion. People need choices.

I guess I am just very confused, but maybe I like it that way, so be it.

BTW, I went to school with the producer of George Noory's show. Interesting family.

#7 of 8 Old 01-19-2014, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
So in the second doctor's rebuttal email he writes: "including the deadly Hepatitis B vaccine!! which is merely a protein made in yeast"

Well yes, that along with "complex fermentation medium which consists of an extract of yeast, soy peptone, dextrose, amino acids and mineral salts. The HBsAg protein is released from the yeast cells by cell disruption and purified by a series of physical and chemical methods. The purified protein is treated in phosphate buffer with formaldehyde and then coprecipitated with alum (potassium aluminum sulfate) to form bulk vaccine adjuvanted with amorphous aluminum hydroxyphosphate sulfate." http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/r/recombivax_hb/recombivax_pi.pdf

Dumbing it down doesn't actually make it safer...

Not to mention the long list of potential adverse effects so quickly brushed off by many in the industry:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/07/60-things-that-can-go-terribly-wrong-with-hepatitis-b-vaccination.aspx

Guess I wasn't really familiar with her position before but if she's pro-vax yett willing to take this stance maybe there is hope!
applejuice likes this.
#8 of 8 Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

That you littlec. 
I am not Christian, I am a Jew. I am pro choice but I would never get an abortion. People need choices.
I guess I am just very confused, but maybe I like it that way, so be it.

BTW, I went to school with the producer of George Noory's show. Interesting family.

I feel the same way. I don't think I would ever choose that for myself, but I certainly want to be able to choose what goes on with my body. That's something I don't understand about some of my liberal friends- they claim bodily autonomy but are not opposed to vaccination mandates. I guess they are confused too. wink1.gif
applejuice likes this.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page