#1 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Case Closed: New Flu Vaccine Worthless by Dr David Brownstein 

http://blog.drbrownstein.com/case-closed-new-flu-vaccine-worthless/

Yet another example of crap 'science'.

Quote:
When I saw these numbers, my first thought was, “You gotta be kidding me!”  The 24% improvement with the high dose vaccine was accurate—1.43/1.89 equals a 24% improvement.  However, as I teach other doctors and medical students, this is the relative risk difference.  This number is not to be used when considering whether a particular therapy would help a patient.  The more accurate number is the absolute risk reduction.  The absolute risk reduction between the vaccines was  0.46% (1.89%-1.43%).  The headlines should read, “New Flu Vaccine is 0.46% More Effective.”  Going one step further, it takes 217 eldelry people to receive the high dose flu vaccine to prevent one case of the flu.  That is the number needed to treat based on this study.  That means that 216 out of 217 elderly people received the flu vaccine for naught—it did not help them prevent the flu.  They paid double the price and were exposed to possible adverse effects.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Here's another great article: The Influenza Deception

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2014/01/21/influenza-deception/

The vaccine makers, pharmaceutical companies, and their representatives also known as medical doctors, are, of course, waiting with open arms and needles locked and loaded. With statistics such as “hundreds of thousands” of infections and “tens of thousands of deaths” by the flu virus being repeated ad nauseam, it is understandable why many hapless individuals rush to take toxic vaccines unaware of the hazardous ingredients they contain.

However, what is scarcely examined is whether or not these numbers quoted by mainstream media outlets and the medical industry are, in fact, accurate. Indeed, in most cases, these numbers are simply repeated by various players with little or no adequate challenge ever mounted against them.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Apparently, Canadians are also  'misinformed' about the flu shot as well

Quote:

Misinformation keeping Canadians from taking flu shot, study says

Fewer than four in ten Canadians have been immunized against influenza, and the principal reason for not getting the flu shot is mistrust of vaccines, according to a new national poll.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/misinformation-keeping-canadians-from-taking-flu-shot-study-says/article16401885/

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#4 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

You just have to laugh...... :rotflmao

applejuice likes this.

#5 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/misinformation-keeping-canadians-from-taking-flu-shot-study-says/article16401885/

The thing that really pisses me off about articles like that is that sure, there are some people who choose not to get vaccinated due to misinformation or laziness or whatever (I seriously doubt that it's as much as the article claims), but there's also a sizeable portion of people who do get vaccinated who do it because they're misinformed, or too lazy to argue, or whatever, and yet you don't see news articles about people who think their flu shot makes them invulnerable to the common cold, or any of the other bs that some people think.  Anecdotally, most of the misinformed people I've met have gotten the shot.

#6 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:

I have not read the whole article yet as my blood started to boil.  I got to this line and stopped:

"Fewer than four in ten Canadians have been immunized against influenza, and the principal reason for not getting the flu shot is mistrust of vaccines, according to a new national poll.

“Fully a third of those who won’t get a shot – or almost a fifth of the adult population – make this choice because they think vaccines are dangerous,” said Lorne Bozinoff, president of Forum Research, which conducted the poll."

Um - not!  Clearly, most Canadians do not think vaccines are dangerous, or the childhood vaccination rate would not be as high as it is (over 90%, I am sure).  They have issues with the flu vaccine - which is not the same as saying they think vaccines are dangerous.  

The whole article reads like a pro-vax propaganda fluff piece.  

The Globe and Mail can be quite hit or miss.

Off to read the rest.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

"Fewer than four in ten Canadians have been immunized against influenza, and the principal reason for not getting the flu shot is mistrust of vaccines, according to a new national poll.

“Fully a third of those who won’t get a shot – or almost a fifth of the adult population – make this choice because they think vaccines are dangerous,” said Lorne Bozinoff, president of Forum Research, which conducted the poll."

Is he talking about the Canadians who happened to read the Canadian study that showed that receiving a seasonal flu shot INCREASED the risk of coming down with H1N1?

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2010/04/new-canadian-studies-suggest-seasonal-flu-shot-increased-h1n1-risk

banghead.gif

#8 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

The thing that really pisses me off about articles like that is that sure, there are some people who choose not to get vaccinated due to misinformation or laziness or whatever (I seriously doubt that it's as much as the article claims), but there's also a sizeable portion of people who do get vaccinated who do it because they're misinformed, or too lazy to argue, or whatever, and yet you don't see news articles about people who think their flu shot makes them invulnerable to the common cold, or any of the other bs that some people think.  Anecdotally, most of the misinformed people I've met have gotten the shot.

I cant tell you how many people I met say things like "I dont get colds because I get the flu shot every year." Uh that's not how it works. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#9 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I have not read the whole article yet as my blood started to boil.  I got to this line and stopped:

“Fully a third of those who won’t get a shot – or almost a fifth of the adult population – make this choice because they think vaccines are dangerous,” said Lorne Bozinoff, president of Forum Research, which conducted the poll."

Um - not!  Clearly, most Canadians do not think vaccines are dangerous, or the childhood vaccination rate would not be as high as it is (over 90%, I am sure).  They have issues with the flu vaccine - which is not the same as saying they think vaccines are dangerous.  

Off to read the rest.  

IIRC Most areas have a 95% childhood vaccination rate. 

applejuice likes this.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#10 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaGC View Post

IIRC Most areas have a 95% childhood vaccination rate. 

Well, no one really knows the exact figure. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/are-canadian-kids-undervaccinated-or-is-it-that-we-just-dont-know/article11477965/

Unicef takes aim at Canada for being at the bottom of wealthy countries according to vax status.

http://www.unicef.ca/sites/default/files/imce_uploads/DISCOVER/OUR%20WORK/ADVOCACY/DOMESTIC/POLICY%20ADVOCACY/DOCS/unicef_rc_11_canadian_companion.pdf

I recall reading years ago (when I was looking into vaccines for DD2) that my province's rate was about 85% according to schedule, not accounting for under vaccinated kids. It stuck in my mind because Australia is always playing the doom and gloom card that the sky will fall if rates drop below 90% yet Canada might have been under 90% for some time now (again, hard to say so definitely with the issues relating to Canadian data available). 

applejuice likes this.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#11 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Off to read the rest.  

well I read this about Canadians!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2543630/How-flu-remedies-help-leave-workmates-feeling-worse-Drugs-actually-help-bugs-spread-easily.html 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page