"So Autism Is Even MORE Common Than Last Year. Who Cares?" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Anyone else read this? Thoughts?

http://tacanowblog.com/2014/01/27/so-autism-is-even-more-common-than-last-year-who-cares/

applejuice and rachelsmama like this.

#2 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

WOW.  Go, Dr. Bob!!!!

And omg, the COMMENTS!  Scroll down and read the comments.  There's a priceless one from a pediatrician named Chris Hickie, which is extremely illuminating.

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I saw that. Way to prove his point right?

applejuice likes this.

#4 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

WOW.  Go, Dr. Bob!!!!

And omg, the COMMENTS!  Scroll down and read the comments.  There's a priceless one from a pediatrician named Chris Hickie, which is extremely illuminating.

Chris Hickie is one of Dorit Reiss's crowd. He likes to make a fool of himself on AoA as well sometimes.

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Oh, I just can't resist.

Here is the first part of Dr. Hickie's comment:

"As a pediatrician and scientist I find you a loathsome “colleague”, “Dr. Bob:. How dare you minimize the risk of vaccine-preventable diseases all for the sake of your “autism crusade”! You’re just dumb enough to believe any old “statistic” thrown your way, and you’ve built enough of an audience of people who think you somehow have a science background that you have become a threat to public health. You act like you’re the only pediatrician that gives a damn about autism, which is untrue. You also act like autism is the only reason children have developmental delays, which is also blatantly untrue...."

So, Dr. Sears is a practicing, Board-certified pediatrician; he is also a published, well-selling author, whose pediatric practice is so popular, there's a waiting list.  But Dr. Hickie thinks he does not "somehow have a science background?"  And Dr. Hickie believes that showing concern over the ridiculously high rates of autism in Minnesota makes Dr. Sears "a threat to public health?"  

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#6 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 PM

But wait, there's more....

"I know people who have been hospitalized from influenza this year, including one of my own patients (who didn’t get a flu shot because mom had been scared about its safety)–yet I don’t have anyone with autism having been hospitalized for anything autism-related in the last several years. Right now in my practice area we’ve had 30 pertussis cases in the schools thanks to cluster of non-vaccinating parents, some of whom have bought the lies you sell in your so-called “vaccine book”. Of course I’ll bet money that those who run TACA don’t have the guts to put this on here..."

Except--the TACA editor did publish it!  And several people wrote excellent, calm, and wise rebuttals.

So Dr. Hickie wasn't able to convince the mother of one of his own patients to get a flu shot?  Wait a minute, I thought his practice kicked out families who turned down any vaccines?

And I wonder if Dr. Sears now has a viable case for a lawsuit against Dr. Hickie for calling The Vaccine Book "lies?"

applejuice likes this.
#7 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 04:34 PM

Notice he does not refute anything Dr Sears writes, all he does is hurl insults. Chris Hickey's not nothing!

applejuice likes this.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#8 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Notice he does not refute anything Dr Sears writes, all he does is hurl insults. Chris Hickey's not nothing!

I have to wonder about the emotional stability of someone who hurls insults with such....rage.  No real discussion, just a fury that seems to possess him.  I sure wouldn't want him as a pediatrician.

BeckyBird likes this.
#9 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

I have to wonder about the emotional stability of someone who hurls insults with such....rage.  No real discussion, just a fury that seems to possess him.  I sure wouldn't want him as a pediatrician.

He is everywhere, even phoning in to a local Denver PBS station during a vaccine debate show that had Sundari Kraft, the parent rep from V4V,Theresa Wrangham from the NVIC and a CO public health person. Interestingly there was on one caller from CO in the whole show. I suspect V4V had plants call in, because the were all pro-vaccine.

I wish I could find the link, but there is a review webpage that has some scathing reviews of 'Dr' Hickey the pediatrician. 

applejuice likes this.

#10 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
yet I don’t have anyone with autism having been hospitalized for anything autism-related in the last several years.

Evan McCarthy was in and out of the hospital on numerous occasions with some major medical issues before his diagnoses.

My husband knows a guy from high school whose son is autistic and we have been told that he was in the er on numerous occasions.

I have read several biographies from parents of children with an autism diagnoses and it seems to be a common theme. These children are sick. Maybe that is not the case for all of them but that doesn't discount the experience of those for whom it is and I find it repulsive that he would dismiss those reports.

applejuice and serenbat like this.

#11 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)

I saw this comment underneath.   What do you think?

"Thank you, Dr. Bob for writing this blog to help us scream for action. Sadly, I don’t think anyone cares. It is starting to feel more and more intentional."

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#12 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Evan McCarthy was in and out of the hospital on numerous occasions with some major medical issues before his diagnoses.

My husband knows a guy from high school whose son is autistic and we have been told that he was in the er on numerous occasions.

I have read several biographies from parents of children with an autism diagnoses and it seems to be a common theme. These children are sick. Maybe that is not the case for all of them but that doesn't discount the experience of those for whom it is and I find it repulsive that he would dismiss those reports.

I know some autistic kids that have been hospitalized, and many that have not been hospitalized--but who still had medical issues.   Apparently, he thinks that medical issues that aren't immediately life-threatening, requiring hospitalization, simply don't exist.

FTR, I also know some autistic kids who have never been hospitalized.  A couple of them, as far as I know, do not have the severe intestinal issues; or, if they do, their parents don't realize that anything is wrong.   Remember, until very, very recently, the standard medical wisdom was that autistic children act that way (as if they are in severe intestinal pain, or severe head pain) "because they're autistic," not because anything was actually wrong.  It's only in the last few years that doctors have figured out that, yes, there really was something medically wrong the whole time, and that those medical issues have a huge impact on autistic symptoms.

Apparently, Dr. Hickie belongs to the group that believes that autistic children with, say, Celiac or Crohn's disease, don't deserve to be sent for testing, because "autistic children just act that way."
I just shudder to think how many kids he might have damaged...

Mirzam, applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#13 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I saw this comment underneath.   What do you think?

"Thank you, Dr. Bob for writing this blog to help us scream for action. Sadly, I don’t think anyone cares. It is starting to feel more and more intentional."

I used to think that that sort of thinking was really off-the-wall crazy/paranoid.

I'm no longer so sure.  :(

#14 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Scary thought isn't it. If you want to get really tin-hatty check out Dr Rima Laibow's DeltaProject.

#15 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 PM

This is very disturbing on several levels.

I guess what's most disturbing is that there's just a shred of plausibility in what she suggests.

But I think there's something almost as disturbing in her...manipulation of the audience.  Like when she says, "Dupe...sounds like 'stupid,' doesn't it?  But YOU'RE not stupid...YOU'RE not a dupe."  and then she tells you what she wants you to do.

Very creepy.

There are also some major flaws in the "England hypothesis."  For one thing, who is she kidding?  Those who are most affected by vaccines aren't exactly able to be part of the work force.  Even those with Asperger's, while they might like "simple, repetitive tasks," they pretty much like them on their own terms--like video games.  Or maps.  I don't see them as being particularly good service material.

Second of all, vaccines are causing so many health problems, everybody is going to be too sick to work for the ruling class!

Also, while I sympathize with Christina England's situation as a mother of children with vaccine reactions/autism, I am not a fan of her writing.  Her articles on Vactruth are poorly written, sensationalist (which wouldn't be so bad, if they were better written), and she has no idea how to write a properly researched article.  I followed some of her citations in an article that interested me--and found that most of her citations were...herself.  She cited herself, in other articles she had written, as her source.

I wrote to her at Vactruth and suggested that it really isn't helping the vaccine critics to write articles where you are citing only yourself.  I also pointed out several minor but fixable errors, and suggested that maybe they could find someone to at least proofread.  That kind of writing would earn a failing grade at the middle school level, let alone the high school or college. In the real world, with the stakes as high as they are, it's totally unacceptable.

Yes, I admit I am judging harshly. Very harshly.  But for heaven's sake, if we're up against Big Pharma, who can afford brilliant copywriters and advertising geniuses, we can't afford shoddy research/articles on our end, can we?

Anyway, I was accused of being a pharmashill, because I was not supportive.  

#16 of 33 Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Interesting.

Why not? 

Has anyone read Return To Serfdom by F.A.Hayek?

He does not talk about vaccines, but he talks about economics.

John Taylor Gatto and some homeschoolers have a similar idea about the public school system and its beginnings training children to be molded to work in a factory.

Mirzam and Taximom5 like this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#17 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 05:28 AM

Aldous Huxley (Brave New Word) was a member of the Fabian Society, an organization which supported eugenics. He was also Eric Arthur Blair's (George Orwell - NIneteen Eighty-four)  French tutor at Eaton. 

applejuice, I have read John Taylor Gatto's book. I haven't read Return to Serfdom.

Edited because I typed the wrong organization Huxley was a member of.

applejuice and Taximom5 like this.

#18 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

John Taylor Gatto and some homeschoolers have a similar idea about the public school system and its beginnings training children to be molded to work in a factory.

That is exactly what I was going to say.
applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#19 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:

Look at this, Ohio 3rd grade government homework: 'Good Citizen's Don't Argue'

http://www.blacklistednews.com/3rd_Grade_Government_Homework%3A_'Good_Citizens_Do_Not_Argue'/32405/0/38/38/Y/M.html

#20 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Look at this, Ohio 3rd grade government homework: 'Good Citizen's Don't Argue'

http://www.blacklistednews.com/3rd_Grade_Government_Homework%3A_'Good_Citizens_Do_Not_Argue'/32405/0/38/38/Y/M.html

It took me a while to find the "Does not argue" because I was so distracted by the spelling errors.

fruitfulmomma and applejuice like this.
#21 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 AM

Yes, all good citizens never liter.

And always remember that you need two capital B.'s when outlining.

Honestly, I have seen some notices from schools, you know, those tax supported institutions of learning, wherein there are regularly several spelling mistakes, punctuation errors and grammar problems. Who is writing these notices?  Who is proofreading them? These people are teaching YOUR children. Make them accountable.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#22 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live near where Dr. Hickie has his practice and our grade school is one of the schools he is talking about. I really think he is delusional, he knew that the kids with exemption were taken out of school at the beginning of November. Pertussis kept spreading, so much so that the health department extended the exclusion of exempt kids two more times. For two months the entire school population was completely up to date on their vaccines and it still kept spreading. The exempt kids didn't go back until the second week of January, but somehow it is magically still the unvaccinated kids fault.

Me + DH = DS (7) and DD born 10-27-11, an accidental UC!!  novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.gif 
#23 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 AM

Good citizens: Voting puts good people into office. :rotflmao

What happens if there are no good people running to vote for?

#24 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajbaby View Post

I live near where Dr. Hickie has his practice and our grade school is one of the schools he is talking about. I really think he is delusional, he knew that the kids with exemption were taken out of school at the beginning of November. Pertussis kept spreading, so much so that the health department extended the exclusion of exempt kids two more times. For two months the entire school population was completely up to date on their vaccines and it still kept spreading. The exempt kids didn't go back until the second week of January, but somehow it is magically still the unvaccinated kids fault.

He is most definitely delusional. :flipped

#25 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 07:23 AM

They left out: Good citizens vaccinate. (if you don't comply we will change the law to make it impossible for you to send your children to school.)

#26 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:

They left out: Good citizens vaccinate. (if you don't we will change the law to make it impossible for you to send your children to school.)

Yes, that was the implication from not arguing.  Just comply, no discussion. We know what is best for you. We have spent years in school learning about your immune system and drugs and vaccines. You know nothing, you peasant, so be quiet and roll up your sleeve.

"Just shut up, forget the conspiracies, listen to our govt agencies, ... and get your damn vaccine!", Dr. Nancy Snyderman, Aug 25, 2009  -

Not a good repro, but short and sweet ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Si--hmWK2A

rachelsmama and BeckyBird like this.

#27 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Good citizens don't use the metric system? And why is that listed under things good citizens do???

Quote:

I have no personal experience on that one, but I am wondering what it would look like if there had never been an autism/vaxx connection. If the sacred cow of medicine had never been brought up as a possibility for the increase, would we treat these families differently? Would they be more important to us? Or would we continue to scream "better diagnosing"?

BeckyBird likes this.

#28 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Yes, that was the implication from not arguing.  Just comply, no discussion. We know what is best for you. We have spent years in school learning about your immune system and drugs and vaccines. You know nothing, you peasant, so be quiet and roll up your sleeve.

"Just shut up, forget the conspiracies, listen to our govt agencies, ... and get your damn vaccine!", Dr. Nancy Snyderman, Aug 25, 2009  -

Not a good repro, but short and sweet ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Si--hmWK2A

That's right, just shut up and do as you are told.

As an aside, the UK is thinking about bringing in 9 hour school days under the guise of 'better education' and allowing mothers to return to the workforce. 

#29 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:

And here's another dot to connect:

Children should be taught skills to make them employable from primary school age, suggests Chambers of Commerce

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/children-should-be-taught-skills-to-make-them-employable-from-primary-school-age-suggests-chambers-of-commerce-9094044.html

applejuice likes this.

#30 of 33 Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 AM

Yes, Mirzam.

The Child Labor Amendment was introduced and began to be circulated among the states in 1924. It has no end date and has not passed. Why aren't children still in the workplace. What happened was that high school began to be more socially acceptable. Most states set laws in place to protect children in the workplace - CA's schooling laws address circumstances of child actors.  In my family, only my Father finished high school by day in 1932; he was the baby.  His older brothers and sister finished by going to class during the night and going to work during the day.

However, before that time, if anyone finished eight years of school, they could leave, get an apprenticeship or work on the farm. They had enough skills to start a small business or be a worthy assistant. If a person left early, there was social pressure to get some kind of work and stick with it.

How do I know?  I have old copies of the McGuffy Readers. They are designed to be finished in 6-8 yrs. The last book would be considered college level now. I can imagine the arithmetic skills would be just as lofty.

I know that many people did not master their skills in eight years and there are late bloomers, but there was an incentive to learn and learn well.

Mirzam likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page