Angry Pro-Vax Arguments Rising? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear fellow not vaccinators,

I have two boys, 5 and 8, who aren't vaccinated. I read quite a bit before the 8 y.o. was born, and carried the same decision forward with the 5 year old. I admit I haven't kept up with the issue since, but the past several months, my Facebook news feed is flooded with angry pro-vax memes and articles.

Has new, incendiary evidence come out? Is a prominent politician making this his or her issue? I'm struggling to figure out why so many of my friends suddenly have big and aggressive opinions pushing childhood vaccines.

Thanks for any insight.

Often late to the issues,

Marie

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ― Howard Thurman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 07:27 PM

I dont know the answer but I agree with your observation. Maybe someone else has some input..bumping
Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 PM

Weird!  I just posted about the same thing.  Read my post, it's above yours.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 02-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Hm.  Seems to me that January is the time when the pharmaceutical industry publishes at least one article that supposedly debunks a vaccine/autism link.  But that hasn't happened this year, has it?

So I guess they have to push some other form of propaganda.

What's scary to me is how quickly people--ordinary, normal people who are probably perfectly nice people in real life--leap into the role of  angry-to-the-point-of-rage-at-those-dangerous-nonvaccinators-who-are-endangering-everyone's-children.  It seems like there are mob scenes everywhere I look.  That mob mentality if really frightening.  We've seen it before throughout history...

Old 02-02-2014, 02:18 AM
Banned

Oh no reason. We just like to save lives. No biggie, really.

Kyle

(the biologist)

Old 02-02-2014, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

Op….sorry your thread is bound for lock-dom.  It is an important topic. Try again in a week or so when some people have moved on (voluntarily or otherwise) ?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 02-02-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)

Kyle Rutherford and Pickupatextbook, you obviously did not read the forum guidelines which are in place to protect those of us who choose not to vaccinate from abusive posters. Good bye.

I'm Not Vaccinating - This is a support-only forum for those not or those seriously considering not vaccinating. Here we host discussion of issues that arise when choosing to not vaccinate and sharing of resources and information that are related to the no-vax decision. Members who are vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. 

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Hopefully this thread is going to be cleaned up soon so we can resume the actual discussion but in the meantime I thought I might point out that if someone were interested in having us acknowledge his expertise in a field, it might be prudent for them to start an introductory thread in the appropriate forum (http://www.mothering.com/community/f/47/vaccinations) and include in it his degree, other qualifications, and body of research development in this field.

OP, yes absolutely. Both on fb and here.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Damn trolls are everywhere lately!  Anywho, I've noticed a much more prominent stance in my circles of friends of pro-vax propaganda and it's really gotten very pushy.  I think many topics have gotten pushier in the last 20-30 years so it's not incredibly surprising that vaccines have jumped on the bandwagon.  Of course it sucks because now is when I'm raising a family so of course it has much more effect on my life!

Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Hey folks. Let's get back on topic. No need to give crushers any more attention. Thanks!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 02-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

The newspapers are full here proclaiming MMRV vax shortages and an outcry for more pharmaceutical companies to produce vaccines in the future to prevent such shortages. The usual fear-mongering in my opinion. I think last week it was about the flu vax and people should def. get vaxxed and all that. Not a week where there is no such thing going on anymore. Big pharma has a big agenda. $$$$

OP, I would just delete these posts or friends depending from my FB account if I were you.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM

I don't know about the OP but I like most of my friends on FB.  I just see them getting caught up in a wave of anger that they really frankly haven't done much research about.  I would not like to end our friendship because we have different feelings about vaccinations---I enjoy them for much more than that.  I'm fine with respectful disagreement and actually quite enjoy it, it pushes me to re-evaluate my own stance on things.  The thing I have an issue with is the non-respectful disagreement, the atricles shared on facebook that are inflammatory, finger-pointing, blameable, rude, and condescending from a smugness I find repulsive.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 02-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

I think many topics have gotten pushier in the last 20-30 years so it's not incredibly surprising that vaccines have jumped on the bandwagon.  

I think hiding behind computers and sorting into likeminded groups (echo-chambers) contributes to agressiveness.

If you hide behind a computer you do not have to worry about offending or hurting someone.

If you hang out with haters, some of it might rub off.  What once might have made you cringe from offensiveness you now find normal.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 02-02-2014, 04:32 PM

Yes kathy :)  And the positive side to that is computers have allowed the shy folk like me to find a voice (and it has eventually carried over into real life!) and to talk to groups we might not otherwise IRL! Guess it's the pro/con to every situation?

Old 02-02-2014, 04:40 PM

It is a hard call.  The internet has led to less isolation for some, increased opportunities for learning/sharing information…but, boy, does it come with a price!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)

I previously wrote about the media's effort to create a vaccine war, and here is the latest example:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/06/opinion/wong-scientific-fraud/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

This article basically regurgitates all of the vaccine talking points....

Quote:
 The decline in vaccination is in part due to the rise of the anti-vaccine movement, which has found spokespeople in celebrities like Jenny McCarthy and politicians like Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum. It is a movement that relies on scientific fraud and pseudoscience.

Will CNN ever publish an opinion piece that questions the safety of vaccines?

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 02-07-2014, 09:50 AM

I get more and more bothered by this anti-vaccine label as time goes on.  The only think I'm *anti* is in them taking away my freedom to make decisions for myself.  And that goes for ANY topic - drugs, vaccines, seatbelts, abortion, gay marriage - all these hot topic items that are constantly being split into two black and white groups and it's not at all the case!  Very little in life is black and white and I'll be damned if someone is going to regulate everything right down to where and when I can take a shit! Cuss.gif

News agencies have no business reporting anything but unbiased coverage of both sides to every story - there should be no place for opinions in news.  Clearly I'm also delusional in thinking this should happen! 

Old 02-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
News agencies have no business reporting anything but unbiased coverage of both sides to every story - there should be no place for opinions in news.  Clearly I'm also delusional in thinking this should happen! 

I am going to put a plug in for a new internet TV station, The People's Voice so far it has had Christina England, Rebecca Carley and Dr Mark Sircus on (maybe more that I have missed). They cover many, many issues the MSM either gloss over, dumb down, outright lie about, or ignore.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 02-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

I get more and more bothered by this anti-vaccine label as time goes on.  The only think I'm *anti* is in them taking away my freedom to make decisions for myself.  And that goes for ANY topic - drugs, vaccines, seatbelts, abortion, gay marriage - all these hot topic items that are constantly being split into two black and white groups and it's not at all the case!  Very little in life is black and white and I'll be damned if someone is going to regulate everything right down to where and when I can take a shit! Cuss.gif

I agree with you, but your comment about shitting made me laugh because I've had dealings with people who take that attitude a little too seriously.......

Old 02-07-2014, 10:26 AM

LOL I had a rough morning with the FIL so I'm a bit punchy at the moment haha!

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List