would you like a private forum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)

In an attempt to avoid trolls, interlopers etc would you like to:

1.  make it a private group (I am not sure how this works - like a DDC?)

2. have it so that posters need a minimum of a certain number of posts on MDC to post on INV.

I prefer the second one slightly myself -but it is not a firm decision.  Ideally, I would like this subforum to be kept here with the other vaccine subforums.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I looked into groups earlier and you can have a group leader who admits members before they are able to post, but they are not private as far as everyone still being able to see them.

I asked previously about #2. I thought it would make it easier on the mods but was told no because they wanted new members to be able to post here.

But yes, either option would be preferable to me to what we have going on now.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

#3 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I will re-ask about option 2…let's see how this thread turns out, what people want.

Since the format change on the vaccine boards, newbies should now be able to ask questions on the general page.  It has this as its description.

"This is our main forum to discuss all information and concerns about vaccinations as a community. This is a forum for members new to vaccination issues to post their questions and get feedback from community members with information to share as well as a general forum for discussion. Polite exchange of information opinion is a priority. This is not a debate or advocacy forum so moderation will be to uphold a comfortable posting atmosphere for all."

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I agree but some newbies just want to troll and make things miserable.

Chicharronita and BeckyBird like this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

I agree but some newbies just want to troll and make things miserable.

Yes, ergo the need 100 posts to post on INV.

As a subforum that gets more than our fair share of trolls, I think this is something MDC should consider.   

#6 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I say new members can post here and still get support. Those with 100+ posts can join the private board.

I love the idea of having an open forum where nervous and undecided mom's can go and get support. I also think that we need to be able to talk freely and openly without judgement and trolls.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#7 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 06:43 PM

This sounds like a great idea. I love #2.
BeckyBird likes this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#8 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloebelle View Post

I say new members can post here and still get support. Those with 100+ posts can join the private board.

I love the idea of having an open forum where nervous and undecided mom's can go and get support. I also think that we need to be able to talk freely and openly without judgement and trolls.

Of course!  This should happen.
This  has been suggested to the moderators many times and they simply have not done this. Trolls, come, read, and then post some insulting, rude, arrogant statement as to your intelligence or your skills as a parent.  This needs to happen, soon. Mothering Magazine was a pioneer in questioning vaccinations 28 years ago, and why there appears to be some back peddling, I do not know.

nukuspot, BeckyBird and ErinMomma like this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#9 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm very much against a private board. It would be a shame for potentially helpful posts to be hidden from people who could benefit from them. We should always be careful about posting any personally identifiable information. 

I think a minimum post count of 50 to post on INV would be enough to keep the casual trolls away. New members who aren't vaccinating could post in the general vaccination forum.

Edit: Maybe 100 would be good. I just noticed someone who joined today already has more than 50 posts. It's a difficult call because for a lot of people, getting to 100 posts could take a very long time!

#10 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I don't know how our lovely volunteer moderators feel about this. . . But I like option 2, with modification to allow newbies to post:
you must lurk for 2 weeks and the first 50 posts would need to be approved by a moderator before making it to the forum. This would mean a delay in newbie contributions but it would not be a total block to participation.
#11 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Just looked at how many posts I've posted and it is only 69. (Well,I guess 70, now!) So, 100 seems like a LOT to me. What about a time restriction, instead, if that is even possible? Like a couple of days wait before you can post after joining. I'm assuming most trolls would lose steam and move on before then. . .
BeckyBird likes this.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#12 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 PM

I'm pretty new and definitely
Don't think I'm close to 100 posts.. This board has taught me so much already and it's been so nice to find a group that shares my point of view (most people I know just write
Me off as crazy for not vaccinating). I don't post a lot but read a lot and learn so much.. I just think it would be a shame for it to be completely private because then people like me couldn't benefit..
BeckyBird and ErinMomma like this.
#13 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 PM

I am newish and not super active on the boards but I'd love to still have access because I don't vaccinate and I don't know many people in real life that don't. smile.gif
#14 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with Ballerina85. I'm nowhere near 100 post, but would hate to miss out on the opportunity to ask questions. I've already learned so much, but I rely heavily on this forum for support.
How about a time constriction as someone else proposed? Or let it be a 20 post minimum to join, but a moderator has to approve first.
#15 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 PM

Or could you just immediately block the trolls?
BeckyBird likes this.
#16 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 PM

I think newbie's and everyone else should be able to come here and see/contribute.

Is there a way that moderators could approve the first 20 posts to INV? (that way if they do have more than 20 posts, it still would need to be filtered)

That way real newbies could still ask their questions.... Trolls wouldn't even be seen/heard as the mods would stop it.

I like the idea of an intermediary in a sense. I really think that would solve the issues....

We really don't have that much traffic-I think it could be done easily.

S

DS-14 (our new son)

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

BeckyBird likes this.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#17 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 PM

Why cannot we require 100 posts to keep the trolls away? How bad with the cyber harassment should it get before something is done or the whole forum is gone?If you think 100 is too much, there is an antagonist who just signed in and has 95 at this moment. So yes, 100 is NOT too high a number to discourage trolls.

BeckyBird and OrmEmbar like this.

#18 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssun5 View Post

I think newbie's and everyone else should be able to come here and see/contribute.

Is there a way that moderators could approve the first 20 posts to INV? (that way if they do have more than 20 posts, it still would need to be filtered)

That way real newbies could still ask their questions.... Trolls wouldn't even be seen/heard as the mods would stop it.

I like the idea of an intermediary in a sense. I really think that would solve the issues....

We really don't have that much traffic-I think it could be done easily.

I like this idea the best. Ideally they would be approved same day.

BeckyBird and sassyfirechick like this.
#19 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 11:00 PM

Ouch. Publicly or in a PM? The mods asked us to flag posts because they are struggling to keep up with the volume of posts.
#20 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post

Ouch. Publicly or in a PM? The mods asked us to flag posts because they are struggling to keep up with the volume of posts.

It was public, but apparently got edited.

It's getting vicious over there...

#21 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 PM

I was told not to flag any one  anymore. Thanks.

#22 of 61 Old 02-02-2014, 11:17 PM

Wow. Sending you all some sweet dreams to counter all the yuckies. ( I must be tired to resort to baby talk). G'night. Glad to remember there are many awesome people for every nasty one.
applejuice likes this.
#23 of 61 Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

So….I am sensing private is out.

The two options I am seeing thrown around the most are

1.  Straight post count on MDC before being allowed to post on INV

2.  First 20 posts are held for moderation to INV before they are posted here.

Does anyone have a strong preference for either 1 or 2 or strong objection to 1 or 2?

applejuice likes this.

#24 of 61 Old 02-03-2014, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloebelle View Post

Just posting to let you know I did not forget this option.  We can call it option number 3.

My fear with this is that we do not have enough traffic to support two boards, but hey, maybe I am wrong.

applejuice likes this.

#25 of 61 Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Does anyone have a strong preference for either 1 or 2 or strong objection to 1 or 2?

I prefer option 2, I think it addresses the problem more directly than the first option, without excluding shy newbies.

#26 of 61 Old 02-03-2014, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

I prefer option 2 also.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#27 of 61 Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Just looked at how many posts I've posted and it is only 69. (Well,I guess 70, now!) So, 100 seems like a LOT to me. What about a time restriction, instead, if that is even possible? Like a couple of days wait before you can post after joining. I'm assuming most trolls would lose steam and move on before then. . .

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#28 of 61 Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 AM

2- it seems to better address the problem and i have seen that done on other boards.

#29 of 61 Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 AM

And, if someone just joined and already posted 95 posts, then a minimum post count doesnt seem like much of a deterrant to trolls. They LIKE to post a lot so it might just encourage them. They don't like being censored, so a waiting period or mod approval would likely be much more efffective.

#30 of 61 Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I like #2 as well, but who is going to do the moderating?  Is someone going to be put in charge of that, or are we going to have to wait for other mods to OK the post?   

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page