Old TV Shows and reference to disease - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I do recall a Dr. Kildare in which a woman has a thalidomide baby.  Tony Dow played the father, and the episode revolved around his acceptance of the baby as his own and facing a future in which he would be raising with a baby with no arms.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Arthur, kids cartoon on PBS, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxWAIna9Pfc  not incredibly old, I can remember watching this one while babysitting in my teens - dad clearly says "It's just a normal childhood illness" and while they talk about it being very contagious they make no effort to keep the baby out of the room!  IMDB puts this at 1996/1997.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

TVland recently restarted the old Brady Bunch reruns.....They completely skipped over the measles episode. 

Old 02-08-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/introjs.htm?/~acsa/songfile/POISONIV.HTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kh555NjxnU

LOL just heard this song on the radio.

Quote: Measles make you bumpy
And mumps'll make you lumpy
And chicken pox'll make you jump and twitch
A common cold'll fool ya
And whooping cough'll cool ya
But poison ivy, Lord'll make you itch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_Ivy_%28song%29

Lyrics meaning

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Old 02-08-2014, 03:32 PM

No way! Ha, I like that song but I never knew the words other than the chorus! I bet there are others out there...
Old 02-08-2014, 08:00 PM

Dr. Kildare - Season 1 Episode 2, "Immunity" - An elderly Polish man is admitted to the hospital with smallpox, and Kildare and Gillespie try to find people he has been in contact with to prevent an epidemic."

Again, since most people were vaccinated then, 1961, against smallpox, how would an epidemic break out? What happened to herd immunity? Why does modern medicine get away with stereotyping people too?  Elderly "Polish" man?  An immigrant? Coming here, especially after WWII, people would have been checked for diseases.  Ever wonder why we unconsciously link disease and immigrants?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

There was a Golden Girls episode where they all had the flu. It is one of the funniest episodes of all!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)

This is old and found it so I think others might enjoy it - made by Norcross 

it has a wheel - virus, measles, chicken pox & mumps

AppleMark

AppleMark

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 PM

How many of you recall reading The Velveteen Rabbit?  The story involves a little boy who gets scarlet fever, and he holds the Velveteen Rabbit close during the course of his disease.   The doctor makes a housecall (?) and tells the family to toss the stuffed rabbit out in the incinerator because it is full of germs.  The rabbit comes alive at the end of the story.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Velveteen-Rabbit-Margery-Williams/dp/0385375662/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395606596&sr=8-1&keywords=velveteen+rabbit

Old 03-23-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

How many of you recall reading The Velveteen Rabbit?  The story involves a little boy who gets scarlet fever, and he holds the Velveteen Rabbit close during the course of his disease.   The doctor makes a housecall (?) and tells the family to toss the stuffed rabbit out in the incinerator because it is full of germs.  The rabbit comes alive at the end of the story.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Velveteen-Rabbit-Margery-Williams/dp/0385375662/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395606596&sr=8-1&keywords=velveteen+rabbit

I have this book floating around here somewhere. Thanks for pointing it out. I will go find it and read again.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Old 03-23-2014, 03:40 PM

That's right!  Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember The Velveteen Rabbit being about that, it's been so long since I've read it, now I just may have to get it for DD!

Old 03-23-2014, 03:52 PM

It was published in 1922.  Two years before the scarlet fever vaccine.  mmm!

Old 03-23-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Curious George is fairly new (not the book but the pbs show) and there is a episode when Betty gets the chickenpox. She's just annoyed she can't go to see her favorite opera. No big deal.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:09 PM

Yes. Curious George.

I worked with a teacher who got all upset about the story where George smokes a cigarette, as if the children never saw anyone smoke. The story was written in the early 40s.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:25 AM

Just watched another curious George with my daughter, there was a dance party and his friend couldn't dance and asked George if he should pretend to have chicken pox or measles as he drew spots on his face, then later shoves a napkin in his cheek and asks if it's a good look for mumps.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

I noticed TVLand took the famous Brady Bunch 'measles' episode out of the line up...they restarted the series again, and that particular show was omitted. 

Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Father Knows Best just had an episode where some family friend has the measles, and his other friend has the mumps, so no one could go to the football game..funny when Father found out the college kid he was talking to had measles, he laughed, and made a remark about him being 'too old' for that...the kid said, 'apparently not' 

Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
In You Can't Do That On Television, Christine sings a song: "The mumps. The mumps. I think I've got the mumps." Or maybe is was another Nick show? I remember watching it in the 80s as a kid. It wasn't treated as a big deal, not even in the post-MMr era.

Another post-vaccine era show was an episode of Frasier. Daphne tries to get a flu shot, but Marty wants a ride home instead. The very next day she gets the flu and blames him. She just hangs out all day in her bathrobe, reading trashy romance novels and sleeping.

I'm waiting for the day when a case of the flu or rota makes it to the set of some cheesy medical drama. eyesroll.gif

It's been years since I've read or watched Little House On The Prairie. Does anyone remember how the diseases were recounted? I remember the family having a horrible bout with malaria, but I'm more curious about chicken pox.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 04-25-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In Little Bear, there is an episode where he gets the Mumps and gives it to his friend.

Mommy to Adilene Faithjoy.gifand Damon LeeROTFLMAO.gifWife of Joshua fuzmalesling.gif

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2

lactivist.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 04-26-2014, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

About all i remember from "Little House" is when measles popped up, school was cancelled for two weeks to halt the spread...they also dealt with smallpox, plague, and  anthrax from tainted mutton...seems more like they dealt with just as many diseases that had no vaccine like today, and that sanitary conditions did play a role in how the diseases were spread. 

Old 04-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

OMG, I remember that episode.

It is funny in a seriously bad way - at first the hospital thought the child had meningitous, and they were not overly concerned.  When they realised the child had mealses they went into panic mode. In real life  menningitous is scary - measles?  Not so friggin much!   Of course, the child died of measles, and the doctor lectured the mom about her bad momminess.  There was an ad for pharmaceutical companies at the end.  

It was truly awful, I was disgusted and I have not watched ER since.  

ETA:  the episode was called A Walk in the Woods, if anyone wants to look it up. Avoid if you have blood pressure issues!  

OK, I watched it. I actually like what I've seen of ER bag.gif but this blew all of that in the hole for me. What's sad is that I really enjoyed the other sub-plot about the Bishop with lupus.

Apparently the network's biggest fail was running a perfectly placed ad for Prevnar. Oops.

Here's an interesting follow-up to the episode from back before Wakefield was declared a fraud and mainstream media was still "allowed" to run an interview of this nature. http://www.newsweek.com/er-uproar-155609

ETA: Is it just me, or did the producers get the symptomology all wrong? The little boy had a seizure at preschool, developed a high fever, and then went to ER with suspected meningitis. A half hour later--poof!--the rash appeared. Here's how measles actually plays out, according to the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/signs-symptoms.html For starters, he would have already been home sick from preschool . . .

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 04-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
OK, I watched it. I actually like what I've seen of ER bag.gif but this blew all of that in the hole for me. What's sad is that I really enjoyed the other sub-plot about the Bishop with lupus.

Post #28 of this thread... my conspiracy-theory-ish opinion on the writers of ER.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
 Dean Haglund, actor and comedian best known for his role on television’s the X-Files, confirmed that government officials would regularly attend Hollywood parties and submit ideas to be planted in film and TV scripts.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List