Old TV Shows and reference to disease - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I've noticed in a lot of the shows of the 50's, measles, mumps, and chicken pox are treated as no big deal, and nothing more than a childhood nuisance.  Societal attitude sure has changed in the last 60+yrs.  Even when an adult contracted one of those on tv, it was no big deal either.   The shows didn't have the parents worried senseless, screaming like a maniac over catching an illness, nor did it alarm an entire neighborhood.   

Yesterday on Green Acres, a joke was made about someone paying for everyone's flu shot, as tho it were some kind of medicine only the priveleged should have access to.  

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

I have a few but I really have to dig to find them ---- greeting cards! Hallmark and others had a whole line of them by the disease, I do have one if I can find it that had a wheel and you could move it to fit who you were sending it to

here are some from Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unused-Vintage-Ca-1960-Card-Sorry-You-Have-Mumps-Chicken-Pox-Measles-/191054948608?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7bc32900

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-VINTAGE-UNUSED-CHILDRENS-GET-WELL-CARDS-1-HALLMARK-1-RUSTCRAFT-2-SUNSHINE-/291067105073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c4f38f31

applejuice likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Yes, measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, even whooping cough in the Our Gang series were a joke, not an emergency.  Look to literature and children's rhymes too.

There was a Twilight Zone with a girl, Susan Gordon, with a brace on her leg, and the big problem was her abusive aunt who was played by Nancy Kulp, Season 3 Episode 25 The Fugitive.

I recall that after WWII, there was a push to wipe out all childhood diseases in one generation, just as we had wiped out the Nazis.

Mirzam likes this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The Brady Bunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFoDhftULdc

There are others, but I can't find them right now.

applejuice and aggie pop like this.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#6 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 08:47 AM

Yes, that Brady Bunch episode was done in 1970 after measles vaccine was introduced.  In the storyline, they walked home from school - horrors, infecting everyone in their path!  The big deal was not measles, but the whether they should have a lady doctor or a male doctor, and they made house calls.

Mirzam and aggie pop like this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#7 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

Yes, measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, even whooping cough in the Our Gang series were a joke, not an emergency.  Look to literature and children's rhymes too.

There was a Twilight Zone with a girl with a brace on her leg, and the big problem was her abusive aunt who was played by the secretary from the Beverly Hillbillies, cannot recall her name now.

I recall that after WWII, there was a push to wipe out all childhood diseases in one generation, just as we had wiped out the Nazis.

Except we didn't, we invited them over here to continue their work.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#8 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 AM

Re-Setting the Compass

Quote:

These are the words Barney spoke to Fred, in the 1961 Flintstones episode,In the Dough, 
when Betty and Wilma came down with Measles. Measles hasn’t changed since 1961, 
but the picture painted by the mass media certainly has.

#9 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
 Except we didn't, we invited them over here to continue their work.

Yes, we did.

Bayer drug company was one of theirs.

Thalidomide, BTW, was a Nazi development.

Mirzam - did you know that Germany was the first nation to have national health care? Teddy Roosevelt wanted the US to follow their example, but we know that did not happen, but steps in that direction did happen in the form of the Pure Food and Drug Act which became the FDA.

Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.

#10 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Sex and the City Season 6 Episode 9 "A women's right to shoes" (2003-2004)

Miranda catches chicken pox from her toddler son but still flirts with the doctor: No big deal.

applejuice likes this.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#11 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0583591/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Friends 'The One with the Chicken Pox' 1996

―Socrates

#12 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 PM

This is not a television show, but a personal anecdote ...

In the early 1970s, I was a nanny for a family. The mother was an only child born in 1946.  She never had any of the childhood diseases.

She was a career woman.

Her children were born in 1966 and 1969.  When they went to school, they brought all of those diseases home to her - measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox!

One disease at a time!

The little girls were in bed with their respective rashes, reading playing, watching television.

The mom was flat out in her room, very sick.  She also had lots of allergies. She was quite miserable. It took her a long time to get well, but her girls were up and around in no time.

#13 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Not from tv but...

Quote:

All around the mulberry bush (or cobbler's bench)

The monkey chased the weasel;

The monkey thought 'twas all in fun, (or "'twas all in good sport") (or "that it was a joke") (or "it was a big joke")

Pop! goes the weasel.

A penny for a spool of thread,

A penny for a needle—

That's the way the money goes,

Pop! goes the weasel.

Jimmy's got the whooping cough

And Timmy's got the measles

That's the way the story goes

Pop! goes the weasel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_Goes_the_Weasel

In the mid 90s I had to tell a woman I babysat for that her 1 year old might have been exposed to chickenpox and she was not in the least upset, Sounded a bit happy to have her get them really. She is a doctor.

applejuice and aggie pop like this.
#14 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 02:10 PM

In "Gone With The Wind", Scarlett O'Hara's first husband, Charles, dies from the measles early in the war. 

To be honest, to me, this shows that measles is a children's disease that is easily recovered from, but deadly to adults.

In the story, Margaret Mitchell and/or the screenwriters used this incident to show how protected Charles was as a child, a mama's boy, so much that he was never exposed to the measles.

#15 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:

In "Gone With The Wind", Scarlett O'Hara's first husband, Charles, dies from the measles early in the war. 

To be honest, to me, this shows that measles is a children's disease that is easily recovered from, but deadly to adults.

In the story, Margaret Mitchell and/or the screenwriters used this incident to show how protected Charles was as a child, a mama's boy, so much that he was never exposed to the measles.

Interesting.

#16 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)

There is a television show called H2O - Just add water.  It is from Australia and it is not that old (5 years, maybe).  In one of the epidsode, everyone is all panic as they have some unspecified disease.  When they are finally diagnosed with measles, everyone just laughs, stops worrying and moves on.  

http://h2o.wikia.com/wiki/Season_1:_Episode_17:_Under_the_Weather

Mirzam and applejuice like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#17 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While I think this thread is interesting, I do have the repeated issue with references to Nazis in conjunction with vaccine developers and pro-vaxxers (as the analogy was made in another thread.). I don't think comparisons like this are doing us any service. I cannot see how this comparison is made and I would personally like if people could stop using it. Just my two cents.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#18 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

While I think this thread is interesting, I do have the repeated issue with references to Nazis in conjunction with vaccine developers and pro-vaxxers (as the analogy was made in another thread.). I don't think comparisons like this are doing us any service. I cannot see how this comparison is made and I would personally like if people could stop using it. Just my two cents.

Nothing to do with vaccines, but it is a historical fact that the US took in Nazi scientists at the end of WWII. That's all the reference was about. No offense intended.

Chicharronita and BeckyBird like this.

#19 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 PM

Godwin's Law!

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/2.10/godwin.if_pr.html

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Mirzam likes this.

#20 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:

link, please.  Not sure what spurred this on…..

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#21 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:

The thing is, there are a lot of connections and parallels--A LOT.  Not just to Nazis, but to many times in history when one social group got selfish/greedy and came up with all kinds of excuses to harm another, smaller group, but there are the most connections/parallels with the Nazis.  

Vaccines started out as a medical issue.  Now they are a social/political issue.  We really can't get around that.  They are. 

Among the comparisons: 
The use of the term "The Greater Good" as an excuse to mandate invasive medical procedures on healthy individuals

Using a group of human beings for medical experimentation (low-income, uneducated people in inner cities and developing countries)

The use of well-placed propaganda in children's books, schools, billboards, magazines, TV/radio advertisements, news reports, etc.

Propaganda masquerading as personal views of having been part of the "other side"

The use of fear-mongering to get the general public to view one group of people as threats to society

Encouraging ostracism of a group of people 

In British Columbia, having unvaccinated nurses not only wear masks, but a special badge denoting their lack of vaccinatino

Barring children from a group of people from schools 

Raising prices for a group of people (health insurance rates are higher for groups without 100% vaccine compliance)

Lies from the government about what is really going on
Parents being threatened with jail/removal of their children if they don't comply.

Gradually removing freedoms (we used to have a philosophical exemption in my state, flu vaccines becoming mandated for school and daycare in NJ, etc., parents losing the right to be    informed/have consent to their 12-year-old being vaccinated for Hep B and Gardasil, etc.)

Oh, and an entire nation who doesn't see what is going on.

If you don't want it to be about Nazis, hey, you could just as easily compare it to what goes on in the Harry Potter books.  Except, when you really look at Pure-blood-wizards vs. Muggles and Muggle-borns, it's totally a rehash of Aryans vs non-Aryans....

I'd also like to know who came up with the whole "Godwin's Law" thing, and under what circumstances, because it seems to me that it's a tool.  The claim is that mentioning Hitler or the Nazis means that you've instantly lost the argument. But what about situations where the comparison is appropriate?  Why make a rule that you can't mention something?  Are we back to Harry Potter and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?

It really seems like "Godwin's Law" was invented to give people an excuse to act like Nazis while taking away the ability of the rest of us to call it what it is.

#22 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

link, please.  Not sure what spurred this on…..

I deleted the other thread a few days ago (due to trolls, not you guys). 

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#23 of 53 Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Quote:

The thing is, there are a lot of connections and parallels--A LOT.  Not just to Nazis, but to many times in history when one social group got selfish/greedy and came up with all kinds of excuses to harm another, smaller group, but there are the most connections/parallels with the Nazis.  

Vaccines started out as a medical issue.  Now they are a social/political issue.  We really can't get around that.  They are. 

Among the comparisons: 
The use of the term "The Greater Good" as an excuse to mandate invasive medical procedures on healthy individuals

Using a group of human beings for medical experimentation (low-income, uneducated people in inner cities and developing countries)

The use of well-placed propaganda in children's books, schools, billboards, magazines, TV/radio advertisements, news reports, etc.

Propaganda masquerading as personal views of having been part of the "other side"

The use of fear-mongering to get the general public to view one group of people as threats to society

Encouraging ostracism of a group of people 

In British Columbia, having unvaccinated nurses not only wear masks, but a special badge denoting their lack of vaccinatino

Barring children from a group of people from schools 

Raising prices for a group of people (health insurance rates are higher for groups without 100% vaccine compliance)

Lies from the government about what is really going on
Parents being threatened with jail/removal of their children if they don't comply.

Gradually removing freedoms (we used to have a philosophical exemption in my state, flu vaccines becoming mandated for school and daycare in NJ, etc., parents losing the right to be    informed/have consent to their 12-year-old being vaccinated for Hep B and Gardasil, etc.)

Oh, and an entire nation who doesn't see what is going on.

If you don't want it to be about Nazis, hey, you could just as easily compare it to what goes on in the Harry Potter books.  Except, when you really look at Pure-blood-wizards vs. Muggles and Muggle-borns, it's totally a rehash of Aryans vs non-Aryans....

I'd also like to know who came up with the whole "Godwin's Law" thing, and under what circumstances, because it seems to me that it's a tool.  The claim is that mentioning Hitler or the Nazis means that you've instantly lost the argument. But what about situations where the comparison is appropriate?  Why make a rule that you can't mention something?  Are we back to Harry Potter and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?

It really seems like "Godwin's Law" was invented to give people an excuse to act like Nazis while taking away the ability of the rest of us to call it what it is.

I see your viewpoint, I just see it as bad taste to compare vaccine makers to Nazis.  I'm not likely to change my mind about this and it really makes me feel uncomfortable when I see it mentioned.   I'm much happier with the Muggle/Harry potter reference :)

applejuice and Turquesa like this.

#24 of 53 Old 02-06-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:

I see your viewpoint, I just see it as bad taste to compare vaccine makers to Nazis.  I'm not likely to change my mind about this and it really makes me feel uncomfortable when I see it mentioned.   I'm much happier with the Muggle/Harry potter reference :)

I hate to perpetuate this but the vaccine-makers were the Nazis. If you research IG Farben the German chemical giant (you will also see the connection to the Bush's) it will become clear. At the end of the war IG Farben was split into companies that have become the top pharmaceutical companies on the planet, like Bayer, BASF, Aventis (recognize that name in regard to vaccines?). 

It is real, and needs to be in the open for people to understand what is being dealt with here. I understand this can be uncomfortable for people to see.

#25 of 53 Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

There is a television show called H2O - Just add water.  It is from Australia and it is not that old (5 years, maybe).  In one of the epidsode, everyone is all panic as they have some unspecified disease.  When they are finally diagnosed with measles, everyone just laughs, stops worrying and moves on.  

http://h2o.wikia.com/wiki/Season_1:_Episode_17:_Under_the_Weather

That is interresting since Australia has a pretty high vaccine rate and enforces its schedule too from what I have read.

I remember an ER episode where they had 2 kids who were diagnosed with measles and they put a whole lock down on the entire hospital and quarantined everybody and made it sound like they had the black death sweeping through. Panic galore!

applejuice and Turquesa like this.

―Socrates

#26 of 53 Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

That is interresting since Australia has a pretty high vaccine rate and enforces its schedule too from what I have read.

I remember an ER episode where they had 2 kids who were diagnosed with measles and they put a whole lock down on the entire hospital and quarantined everybody and made it sound like they had the black death sweeping through. Panic galore!

OMG, I remember that episode.

It is funny in a seriously bad way - at first the hospital thought the child had meningitous, and they were not overly concerned.  When they realised the child had mealses they went into panic mode. In real life  menningitous is scary - measles?  Not so friggin much!   Of course, the child died of measles, and the doctor lectured the mom about her bad momminess.  There was an ad for pharmaceutical companies at the end.  

It was truly awful, I was disgusted and I have not watched ER since.  

ETA:  the episode was called A Walk in the Woods, if anyone wants to look it up. Avoid if you have blood pressure issues!  

#27 of 53 Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 AM

I seem to recall a Simpsons episode where Bart got a vaccine and did not do too well.

And OTOH, there was  a Southpark episode about all of the kids getting chicken pox and they went to the hospital.

But this thread is about OLD TV shows.

#28 of 53 Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

It was truly awful, I was disgusted and I have not watched ER since.  

Not to stray too far off topic but I am pretty certain that the writers of ER had people hanging around on the mothering forums to come up with new topics -

- HIV/AIDs denialist mother episode and it was absolutely not coincidental that the same station aired 20/20 or some such show the next day where they talked about the topic and the family that was featured in the mothering issue

- Mark making reference to his wife almost having an accidental homebirth (Seriously dude, you're a doctor, I think you could have handled it)

-Abby goes to a mommy group and gets chastised for wearing the wrong kind of baby carrier

- a mother breastfeeding a 4 year old

- There was an episode where John Leguizamo gets irate with a mother and I can't remember if that was the aids one or a non-vaxx one

#29 of 53 Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 AM

I am combing through I Love Lucy and Dr. Kildare episodes -

#30 of 53 Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I am combing through I Love Lucy and Dr. Kildare episodes -

LOL! I :stillheart Dr Kildare (dating myself), hopefully they were re-runs. :)

applejuice likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page